Author Topic: Speed Week 2014 thread?  (Read 50898 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Speed Week 2014 thread?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »
I have been camping at Bonneville for 20+ years.

This year at Speedweek my son and I were offered a motel room at half price for the week.

I told him I thought we should take it.

He said I would be staying in it alone because he would be in the tent at the bend.

I think he gets this Bonneville thing.   :-D

Don

Yeah, I was always thought Gus was cooler than you :-D
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
....and yeah, racing for us is like going to war, Bonneville was like a black tie dinner compared to our gig. Lots of partners have been to Gairdner,once.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Online salt27

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
I have been camping at Bonneville for 20+ years.

This year at Speedweek my son and I were offered a motel room at half price for the week.

I told him I thought we should take it.

He said I would be staying in it alone because he would be in the tent at the bend.

I think he gets this Bonneville thing.   :-D

Don

Yeah, I was always thought Gus was cooler than you :-D

And there you go thinkin again.   :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »
Stan:  Let me say this for Don (salt27) - - - HUNH?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »
Stan:  Let me say this for Don (salt27) - - - HUNH?

Jon, Don is, by his own admission 6 years old.

As Stan pointed out he obviously started on the family early. :roll:

Online salt27

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
 :-D

Offline SteveM

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
Ooooffff - I just got my first taste of SW 2014 hotel prices.  Best Western Plus - $230 per night for a 7 day stay.

I didn't have the guts to pull the trigger yet.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
Any thoughts about booking a room in Wells, NV? about 55-60 miles to the West?

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
I have a question every year on the website there is a lot of bitching and sniveling about the high prices for rooms in bendover for speedweek. Now i have never been there but from what i hear for the quality of the rooms they are way over priced. That being said has anyone ever thought about turning the tables on the hotels and just not stay in bendover ie everyone that will be going to speedweek boycott the hotels and stay somewhere else like SLC the bend in the road rent a motorhome rent an apartment like SSS did. i would think that if the hotels did not get anyone to stay with them for speedweek at all maybe that would change there thinking about how they price there rooms for speedweek. You could even call the hotel and let then know that until they lower there room rates no one will ever stay with them again. Make sure that everyone that is going to attend speedweek call the hotel that they stay in and tell them they are done being ripped of by them. Make bendover a ghost town for speerweek next year and lets see what happens. I do not have a dog in this fight i am just a LSR fan. Bottom line stay anywhere but bendover. I am only talking about boycotting the hotels not any of the other businesses.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:51:06 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
As long as they can sell the first weekend out, that ain't gonna happen.  Hell, we can't even agree on what an electronic ignition is.  Lots of ways around it, none really satisfactory.  You just have to deal with it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Freud

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
racefanwtf...You either pay for the room in Wendover or pay a gas bill that accompanies a 4 hour drive each day.

It is apparent that you do not have a dog in this fight.

If you did you would understand how unrealistic your proposal is.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
My first Speedweek, 1978, we camped the first two days, that sucked. Got a room in Wells not too bad. If you are in impound you would have to leave Wells at 4.30 too early for me. Plus a 3hr drive each day, no thanks. This year I came on Sunday and my room at Montego Bay was 115 a night for a really nice room. If you stay in Lake Point/Tooele, the closest motels to Bonneville, east, it is at least 2hrs to the pits, 4hrs round trip. No thanks. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
I picked up a room this year at the last minute.  Five day stay.  Room prices varied between $119 per day to $135 per day.  And it wasn't one of the famous flea pits.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
I agree. Telling the hotels to shuvit is a great idea, if there were any other cost effective options. And let's face it, it all really comes down to money. Sounds bad, I know, but there are plenty of cars that never make it to the salt because of lack of funds. Myself included.

It boils down to a matter of convenience. If you wanna be close to the salt and be comfortable, it's gonna cost ya.

Any time an event as large as Speedweek occurs near a town as small as Wendover, the prices go up. For everything. The locals are taking advantage of a basic need of the racers. Is it right or wrong, depends on who ya ask. That being said, every local establishment I have had the chance to deal with in the few times I have been to the salt has been pretty darn good!

Now I know this could possibly open up a big nasty can of worms, and my intent is not to offend anybody. Just doing what I do best by stating the obvious!

The great thing about this wonderful country of ours is that we can make anything convenient, just depends on how much one is willing to pay.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
Wells is a 58 min drive to wendover. tooele is 1 hour 38 min drive to wendover. I never said that there would not be a trade off. I just thought it would be worth a try just once to see if it would make a difference. So are you saying that all the businesses in wendover raise there prices during speedweek.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.