Author Topic: World Finals 2013  (Read 59470 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2013, 08:55:48 AM »
Any new reports about how the salt is drying?

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
Thanks for all your positive and "drying" thoughts.

Game plan is to have the salt spy out there Monday of next week and take a look. If it looks promising then the first team (Bill, me and drag crew) will head out on Thursday. From there we should have a pretty good idea. I can post on web site and emails from the salt.

Fingers crossed and keep watching.

Steve, don't know if you saw this but this is Miriam Macmillan's post a couple of pages back in this thread.

Gregg

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
I'll be out there a little later today with cameras in hand.

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »
I'll be out there a little later today with cameras in hand.

Excellent, looking forward to the pics!
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Thank you Ray. Have a happy Bonneville Birthday :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2013, 07:40:05 PM »
Yes Ray. Happy Bothday'
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
   If my last name was "Croce", i'd be telling the operator about my BEST FRIEND, Ray.

Actually, among some of us, a man is only allowed one birthday per lifetime, and from then on you celebrate anniversaries.
Hope you make a bunch more, dear buddy; and I'll buy the Creme Soda.

Jim

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »
This was forwarded to me today from some of the SCTA folks that are close to the salt:

The condition of the salt was discussed in depth at Friday night's BNI board meeting.  At that time the salt surface was wet but not flooded. The weather forecast is for sunshine the next  few days, then a chance of thunderstorms in the general area. Larry Volk will go out Tuesday,24  and check it out. Keep your fingers crossed, we need some divine help on this one. Larry will let the BNI board know when he checks it out and the "call" will be made then. The advance party is scheduled to leave Thursday, 26. Check the BNI web site for the latest info on World Finals.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
Thanks for passing along the information, Slim.

I'm going to work on the premise that if it doesn't rain again before next weekend, I'm assuming that WF will be held.  Of course, I could be 100% wrong, but that's the premise I'm working on anyway.

If any significant rain falls through the course of this week,  I think I'll be spending the following week unpacking the trailer and making plans for improvements for next year.

Steve.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »
As threatened, here are some photos from my reconnaissance mission to Lands End....but before I proceed, thanks to all the wunnerful folks who've wished me a happy BD.  I'm blessed to have so many great people in my life.

One more nota bene.  Almost all shots were taken at about 60mm focal length (corrected) which is very close to what the unaided eye would see.  Here goes:

From Lands End, looking toward Floating Island around 1 pm:

Turned a little to the southeast...some touristas were checking things out.

Almost directly south, looking toward the Shootout course.

Angled a little more toward the west, with the front of my Burb as a point of reference.

I started to walk across the salt toward the Shootout course.  This is what the footing was like just off the pavement:

This is what it looked like as I crossed the salt.  Some dry sparkly areas, some moist areas.  No standing water at that point.

Looking toward the Shootout pit area,  I figger I was at about the 1.5 mile mark on that course.

From that point, looking down at the salt surface in front of me.  Not really dry, but not under water.

That's the first half of the photos.  More in the next post.

Offline Freud

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »
In my opinion we should hire Ray to give salt reports. Maybe just a random one frequently

to take away the itch.  We could donate to his Pay PAl account and hire him just like a taxi.

Anyone agree?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »
Thanks Ray and hope you had a happy B-day
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline SteveM

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »
Thank you very much for the photos, Ray!

I am certainly encouraged by the lack of standing water.

With another week to dry out, I am going to remain positive.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »
As threatened, part duh.

Looking pretty close to the east from the Shootout 1.5 mile mark.  The red arrow is (I bleeve) the 2 mile.

Turned around and pointing northeast, toward the swale between the mountains.  If that has a name, I wish someone would tell me (and I'd remember it.) There were a few pools of standing (or blown, cuz the wind was between 20 and 40 mph from the north, using my uncalibrated finger anemometer, validated by Texican's report of the weather reports via the web.)

...and back at Lands End.  The red arrow points at my Burb.

The closer I got (I was runnin out of breath...what little of it I have...fighting the headwind - It had been a pleasant stroll the other way with the tailwind - Temperature ranged from around 60 to 72 according to the Burb-o-meter)...the more crowded (and weirder) it got.

There was a horse trailer and numerous touristas.

To quote from the "father of Gonzo journalism", Hunter S. Thompson, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Ok.  I admit it.  I set this one up.  In the previous photo, there's a white Charger that was driven by a coupla guys who looked for all the world like they'd be US servicemen.  Turns out that they were Italian touristas.  But I talked 'em into carrying the rubber boat that I'd brought along and having Polito (I think that was his name) and the other guy (his name was....something else.  Frikkin memory!) carry the boat and pose as if setting sail for Naples.  They asked, "are we gonna be famous?"  I thought of the Andy Warhol's deal about everyone having 15 minutes of fame, so I told 'em that they'd be "on the internet" and that was about as famous as I could make 'em.  LOL!  But they were good sports and we all had fun doing it.

Then I looked up and saw a familiar t-shirt:

I went over and talked to her and it turns out that her sister runs the Enola Gay cafe.  We'd met before and when I handed her my business card, she said, "Ohh...I know you."  I told her that if she did, she prolly also knew that I had about zero memory.

I went back to the Burb and a coupla Canadian guys came over.  One of 'em told me a story about driving toward Lands End in the dark when no event was in progress and almost gettin killed when he drove off the end of the world.  He suggested to me that "somebody otta do something about that."  When I told him that the speed limit was 45 and there was no state maintenance on the road, he started to get a little irritated...but I told him that since people had been racing on the salt for 100 years or so that maybe in another hundred, we'd have a nice fence for him to run into.  That kinda ended that.

And then it turned pro (see above):

My younger son, his wife and my 2 grandkids came out to wish me a happy BD.  We decided to see if Josie (Josephine) wanted to pose for a photo shoot.  And so the boat went back into the pool and she didn't have a clue was going on.  But I like the photo.

Then I ran into Carlos who was also there for a recon visit; later after a bite at the Salt Flats Cafe, TR (Tommy) and his wife saw my Burb and came by to say Hi and also wished me wonna them BD things. 

So.  That's the end of my report.  Draw yer own conclusions as to what will happen for WF and the Shootout rain date...I can't do it...I dropped my crystal ball in wonna the pools and lost it.   :-D

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
In my opinion we should hire Ray to give salt reports. Maybe just a random one frequently

to take away the itch.  We could donate to his Pay PAl account and hire him just like a taxi.

Anyone agree?

FREUD

Well, if ya really wanna, there's a Donate button on my Chevy Asylum website:
http://chevyasylum.com/