Author Topic: World Finals 2013  (Read 59465 times)

Offline Saltfever

Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:55 AM »
Not really. The substrate is pure clay. It is an impervious water barrier. Clay is used to line dirt dams to prevent water leakage. Even when the salt is dry and hard, when the drill breaks through the crust, the clay is sticky mud. Evaporation is the deal.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2013, 10:10:55 AM »
I'm still thinking warm, dry thoughts and remaining hopeful for WF.

For what it's worth (not very much), the 10-day forecast for Wendover only shows 1 day (Next Wednesday) with a stated chance of rain.

It's in Mother Nature's hands.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
We have caliche clay here in Arizona, that crap is hard as a rock. Its no wonder why nothing grows here in the desert LOL. The stuff is pretty much impermeable and doesnt let roots in or absord water very well. Hoping for dry weather and fast salt. I wanna go back up  :-D

Robin UK

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
The comments about tracks crossing each other earlier in this thread got me thinking about how many tracks are prepared each year and how they relate to each other. Is there a map somewhere that shows in one place the courses used for Speedweek, BUB, WoS, Shootout, World Finals and the length of each course. I realise that they wont be in exactly the same place each year either, so how do the various organising groups sort out who grabs which bits of salt. Just curious.

Cheers

Robin

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
lots of times it is where the best salt is the day the surveyor shows up i think---literally for lost of reason and especially salt pumping it can vary year to year and week to week--Mother Nature and her water water boys have LOTS of influence!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Mac

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
Thanks for all your positive and "drying" thoughts.

Game plan is to have the salt spy out there Monday of next week and take a look. If it looks promising then the first team (Bill, me and drag crew) will head out on Thursday. From there we should have a pretty good idea. I can post on web site and emails from the salt.

Fingers crossed and keep watching.

Offline Alan9999

• New folks
  • CLT
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »
World Finals - last ten years based on my data: (Quick search, I might be wrong)
2003 - yes
2004 - yes
2005 - no
2006 - no
2007 - yes
2008 - no
2009 - yes
2010 - yes
2011 - no
2012 - yes

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
'07 was called after two days!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Alan9999

• New folks
  • CLT
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »

My data shows 21 runs on day 3 WF '07, the last one at 10:45am

Then a schoolbus.

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
I have been to Wendover a few times since last week, and the water is drying quickly.  I have daily reports from the salt when I am not able to get over there from my crew, and they are thinking it is going to be good for World Finals.  I may have to head over tomorrow, I'll get some pictures so that we can all form our own opinions.  It has been clear and windy today, but not warm.  If it keeps it up, the salt will be good.
My guess on the clay under the salt, although the water does not percolate well, it moves the water to the low spots.  This is the pressure ridge effect on the salt.  On the surface where we see a ridge, water is under it, or at least was at one point.
For what it's worth...
John Levie  

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
Betting your not a geologist John...    :wink:   :-D

Not bashing you Randall.       :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
I happen to know John sorta pretty well, and I don't think he's a geologist.  He does work with geology, though -- sorta.  John, as I remember, you're an electrician at a mine near Elko, right?  And working in a mine makes you sort of close to geologists, hey?

It was last Thursday or Friday that I was sitting in the Salt Flats cafe when John walked in with some other guys.  They were running errands for the mine and it was lunchtime when they were in Wendover -- so might as well stop there, right?  So I have personal knowledge that John Levie (pronounced Lee-vye, by the way, not le vee) has been at or near the salt in recent days.

Good enough? :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »
I happen to know John sorta pretty well, and I don't think he's a geologist.  He does work with geology, though -- sorta.  John, as I remember, you're an electrician at a mine near Elko, right?  And working in a mine makes you sort of close to geologists, hey?

It was last Thursday or Friday that I was sitting in the Salt Flats cafe when John walked in with some other guys.  They were running errands for the mine and it was lunchtime when they were in Wendover -- so might as well stop there, right?  So I have personal knowledge that John Levie (pronounced Lee-vye, by the way, not le vee) has been at or near the salt in recent days.

Good enough? :wink:

Slim, see this....   :wink:   :-D

I know John not "the" geologist. I should have posted that his reply was likely more accurate than the other post as we all know the salt "can" change in just a few days.
And if you look a little closer you might see who I beleive the geologist from Ely might be........  so chill.   :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »
If I chilled any more the garden would freeze.  Not to wonder -- I did see a bit of intended hilarity in your post and tried to continue in a similar yet different vain.  And yes, I did see you minor key reference to another "geologist".  

We do have frost in the forecast for overnight Saturday, he says as an aside.  And I just looked at the Wendover forecast.  Not much chance of showers -- but not spectacular salt-drying weather, either.  Sunny but cool with mild winds.  Someone needs to visit with a leaf blower - no, a fleet of leaf blowers.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.1663079&lon=-113.85847369999999&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Wendover%2C%20UT%2084083%2C%20USA#.Ujug2LzK7bs
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »
If I chilled any more the garden would freeze.  Not to wonder -- I did see a bit of intended hilarity in your post and tried to continue in a similar yet different vain.  And yes, I did see you minor key reference to another "geologist".  

We do have frost in the forecast for overnight Saturday, he says as an aside.  And I just looked at the Wendover forecast.  Not much chance of showers -- but not spectacular salt-drying weather, either.  Sunny but cool with mild winds.  Someone needs to visit with a leaf blower - no, a fleet of leaf blowers.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.1663079&lon=-113.85847369999999&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Wendover%2C%20UT%2084083%2C%20USA#.Ujug2LzK7bs

Maybe we could get Freiburger out there with the Roadkill Monza that has the 5 (?) leaf blowers as superchargers!!!!!   :?  :-o  :-D

Gregg