Author Topic: World Finals 2013  (Read 59473 times)

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
Re: Re: Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »
Based on a report from a friend that lives in Ely,NV and just drove through and checked out the Bonneville course a couple days ago, it sounds like World Finals is washed out....  He's telling me to make other plans, that in his opinion there's no way it'll dry in time with the current/predicted weather. 

Super bummed....

I have to ask this question: what experience is he basing this on? is this someone who knows the salt and its habits or did he see 3" of water at lands end and make the call?

Not meaning to disparage your friend, only looking to qualify his opinion. As someone's tag line here says: "Without data you are just another man with an opinion". Again, not doubting your friends observations, just checking his qualifications.

If we don't get to run this year because of rain, there are going to be at least two people in Butler County with wives that will want to replace them more than they already do!

He's a geologist that works for a mining company in Nevada so he knows the salt down to the molecular level ;).  He's been out to Bonneville for Speedweek at least 4-5 times that I know of, which is where I met him.  I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but I do trust his opinion on this topic fairly highly.  I really, REALLY, hope he's wrong....
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »
"...  I really, REALLY, hope he's wrong...."

Adding you on the list makes a couple of hindered of us hoping that!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
I leave Wichita probably Friday, Saturday the 28th at the latest.  That is a lot of drying time, my bet is it is a go...
But I will let the SCTA officials make the final decision... no pun intended  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
I have been going to Bonneville since 1953 and have seen the salt under many conditions including standing water at lands end(low area) and a mile out dry, I have also been on the salt and the meet delayed for a couple of days before running. The end of the road is like a dam with the elevated road and holds the water back at that end. We are planning to run two liners and plan on going until they say no, it's to wet. Cook is smart about getting a rain date as a lot has to be done to make it happen, permits, emergency srvices, the volunteers to make it happen. All of this requires everyone making changes, getting rooms, getting time off etc. So I say never say it's not going to happen until it comes from a official source. If your on the road have a phone you can be reached on by someone that knows the offical word to call you. Check the SCTA web site daily, and as far as Cooks shoot out check this site.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
I have been going to Bonneville since 1953 and have seen the salt under many conditions including standing water at lands end(low area) and a mile out dry, I have also been on the salt and the meet delayed for a couple of days before running. The end of the road is like a dam with the elevated road and holds the water back at that end. We are planning to run two liners and plan on going until they say no, it's to wet. Cook is smart about getting a rain date as a lot has to be done to make it happen, permits, emergency srvices, the volunteers to make it happen. All of this requires everyone making changes, getting rooms, getting time off etc. So I say never say it's not going to happen until it comes from a official source. If your on the road have a phone you can be reached on by someone that knows the offical word to call you. Check the SCTA web site daily, and as far as Cooks shoot out check this site.

Mike Cook just called me to find out if I would be attending the Shootout, as I had already paid my initial $1000 track preparation fee.  I told him that I wouldn't be attending due to too much work to be done on the liner in that short of time.  Could go, but there would be jury rigging involved, and with the $4000 additional Shootout fee, it didn't seem to be the thing to do.  However, I did tell him that I'd be there next year.  We did talk about a few things.  It seems the rule is that there must be a week between events.  He explained to me that the one day between the WOS and the Shootout only happened because...well...I couldn't quite understand it.  He plans to do the Shootout next year one day after the WOS.  He says the lady in charge is working with him on this possibility.  He sounded like the 2013 Shootout is still on.  Rain date, 10 to 14 October.  He did mention that he'd sent entry fees back to a couple of the big boys. 

I hope along with everyone else, that the big boys get to run this year.

Max

Offline sirstude

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »
For those that have been to the Finals, what is the weather like at that time down there?  Up here (Montana) normally we have not bad days, no jacket if sunny, light jacket if cloudy.  Light jacket at night.  Same thing or a bit warmer since the flats are 600 miles south??  My first trip to this event.

Doug 
Doug Strong

Hooley (974) lets me work on his car.

Offline joea

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »
Bring: a tank top, short sleeve, long sleeve, sweat shirt, light jacket, heavy jacket, sunscreen, freeze proof windshield washer fluid.....,

what's the point in planning..a geologist who has been to speed week 4-5 times already predicted the salt won't be raceable in 2-3 weeks...:):)...I'm not sure what his assessment was of the 1-2 , 2-3, and so on was...

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:50:02 PM by joea »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Highs anywhere between 30s to 70s.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
Was this geologist driving a rat rod?  :roll: Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.  :evil: :roll: There are a lot of people "AT" Bonneville.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
In the dozen or so years that Nancy and I have been going to the salt -- World Finals has had to be cancelled nearly half the time - because of weather/rain.  There are no strict historical records, I've been told, to confirm the cancel vs. race difference -- but most of the racers to whom I've talked agree that about half the time is a correct response to "How often is World Finals cancelled because of the (bad) weather?"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
. . . but when the weather is good, it's the best!

And the circus is over, the clowns have left town.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Texican

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
. . but when the weather is good, it's the best!

True enough!  Today was one of those days from Mr. Rogers' neighborhood;
high was less than 70; lows in the upper 50's.

Life is good.
We have a fall season that is unmatched.
There may be frost in the mountains tonite.
Oct 10-14 could be difficult travel for some folks, depending which mountains you have to traverse.

Hope this works out for all, and be safe out there,
Jim

Offline ack

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
When we left Wendover Monday we over flew the course there was water covering most of the salt. There was some drying area toward the mountains everything east of the breaks in the dyke was flooded. Sunday we drove to the the start of the course by the highway and the water was about 3-4 inches deep. Lake Tahoe loses 1 inch of water a day in the summer From evaporation so it is possible it could dry by the 30th.

Offline ack

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:13 PM »
Forgot the decimal it is .1 inches a day.

Offline maj

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:05 AM »
You have an advantage over our Lk Gairdiner, the salt is not too deep that the water can get into the subsurface soil.... double edged sword there
but i have always been amazed at how quick Bonneville recovers

time will tell and i hope it works out