Author Topic: World Finals 2013  (Read 59469 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
I better get busy with "the checks in the mail!" !!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »
it  "sorta has been done in the past
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »
Time is getting short.  Would it be possible to have FIM, FIA, and AMA folks at world finals to time folks running those classes?  In other words, an entrant would enter and run for an SCTA record and also be timed for the other records if they made prior arrangements.  Sort of a combined WF and shootout?  Just curious, that's all.

Not sure if SCTA/BNI would be setup to run returns the opposite direction as is required for an international record, but like sparky said it has been done before.  It can really slow a meet down and present some real safety problems.  I think it has been some time since SCTA/BNI has done it.  Mike's meet has a lot longer course usually with the timed mile between the 5 and 6 going each direction (same piece of ground) if I remember right.

I think they do it at BUB for some, but others really don't like it as it slows things down as people have to move away from the start line that is usually used for the down run and then no one can make a pass usually until the bike that is on a return run can get turned around to make its return run.

The Shoot-out doesn't have as many entries so it isn't near the problem,

Sum

Offline maj

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »
Bubs return runs are very efficiant
with the international track running 4 start points at 2 ends it makes very little difference where the runs start from,
as soon as the track is clear from runs at one position its open for the next
one of the earliest memories from my first bubs meet , is the words , mile 7 you are cold.... mile 3 you are hot    , very clear and precise   

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »
Time is getting short.  Would it be possible to have FIM, FIA, and AMA folks at world finals to time folks running those classes?  In other words, an entrant would enter and run for an SCTA record and also be timed for the other records if they made prior arrangements.  Sort of a combined WF and shootout?  Just curious, that's all.

I think the last time this happened was 2002. This was the sad event that Nolan White passed. I think this was also the last time Al Teague ran the Speed-O-Motive Streamliner. Vesco was going to run that event but last minute issues with the Turbine prevented that arrival of the Turbinator. He did make the event and helped Skip Hedrick that event before he passed away later in the year. There were many that came and ran FIA sanctioning during that event. This was the last time I recall SCTA doing it at WF. Jim and Mary True may have ran at that time with the NEB II as well.  

Jon

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »
with the international track running 4 start points at 2 ends it makes very little difference where the runs start from,
one of the earliest memories from my first bubs meet , is the words , mile 7 you are cold.... mile 3 you are hot    , very clear and precise   

You cannot compare the two events. At BUB, their event it is only bikes, limited spectators and all runs are made that way. You can drive vehicles back and forth from end of runs, cars are more of an issue that they need trailered, CARS only get 1 HOUR to return. Due to speeds cars go it becomes more of a logistical issue, support vehicles and nature of "Cars". Lets not forget the rest of the folks who are running on SCTA/BNI records. Impounding etc. Then we need to talk about relative miles going opposite directions, qualifying in any of the timed 3 mile segments for long course, whereas there is only one measured mile and kilo at BUB. You just simply cannot compare the two events, sorry.

Jon

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
Sure hope it drys out, we've been working hard t get the new #787 ready for this event and we're there!  Any update on current salt conditions?  Seems like we'd need someone 'on the ground' there to give a good idea of where it is now.  I hear it's still under water, but 'IF' it doesn't rain any more (forecast looks dry) will we have a race track?  2000 miles is a long way to haul a car to just turn around and drag it home ;(
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline maj

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »

You cannot compare the two events. At BUB, their event it is only bikes, limited spectators and all runs are made that way. You can drive vehicles back and forth from end of runs, cars are more of an issue that they need trailered, CARS only get 1 HOUR to return. Due to speeds cars go it becomes more of a logistical issue, support vehicles and nature of "Cars". Lets not forget the rest of the folks who are running on SCTA/BNI records. Impounding etc. Then we need to talk about relative miles going opposite directions, qualifying in any of the timed 3 mile segments for long course, whereas there is only one measured mile and kilo at BUB. You just simply cannot compare the two events, sorry.

Jon

Yes i fully agree with your points ,the Bubs various start points  proximity to the track alone would exclude cars

i had written more and lost it , should have done it again 

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »
Sure hope it drys out, we've been working hard t get the new #787 ready for this event and we're there!  Any update on current salt conditions?  Seems like we'd need someone 'on the ground' there to give a good idea of where it is now.  I hear it's still under water, but 'IF' it doesn't rain any more (forecast looks dry) will we have a race track?  2000 miles is a long way to haul a car to just turn around and drag it home ;(

Have a coupla dry martinis for me, k?  It might not help with the water on the salt, but you won't care as much.  :)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »

I think it's highly unlikely.  Cook runs a different course, does things quite differently.  The rain date for the Shootout is 10/10-16. 

I don't know all that went on in selecting that date, but ya woulda thought that starting it on the 6th (one day off after WF) might have made sense...unless they figger course setup would take too long.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »
I'm not privy to Mike Cook's reasons for scheduling the rain date for 10 - 16 October, but it might be something to do with BLM's permit process.  Mike told us, at the impromptu meeting in the Enola Gay hangar last Friday, that the BLM manager (don't remember her name right now - sorry, ma'am) has been doing her utmost to help Cook get the meet up and running - pushing papers through way faster and changing the 30 day waiting period or 30 day before submission date - - to much less time.

Maybe, anyway, the mid-October dates have something to do with permits or such.  As for the SCTA/BNI courses interfering with Shootout/Int'l course - the two cross each other on a diagonal, so if the SCTA course were chewed up from WF (for instance) there'd be a relatively small bit of course that needs fixing - maybe a half-mile, maybe as much as one full mile.  That's all, and that much isn't impossible to do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 12:58:54 PM »
Based on a report from a friend that lives in Ely,NV and just drove through and checked out the Bonneville course a couple days ago, it sounds like World Finals is washed out....  He's telling me to make other plans, that in his opinion there's no way it'll dry in time with the current/predicted weather. 

Super bummed....
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
I believe the rain date for the Shootout is the 10th through the 14th. Wayno

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
Based on a report from a friend that lives in Ely,NV and just drove through and checked out the Bonneville course a couple days ago, it sounds like World Finals is washed out....  He's telling me to make other plans, that in his opinion there's no way it'll dry in time with the current/predicted weather. 

Super bummed....

I have to ask this question: what experience is he basing this on? is this someone who knows the salt and its habits or did he see 3" of water at lands end and make the call?

Not meaning to disparage your friend, only looking to qualify his opinion. As someone's tag line here says: "Without data you are just another man with an opinion". Again, not doubting your friends observations, just checking his qualifications.

If we don't get to run this year because of rain, there are going to be at least two people in Butler County with wives that will want to replace them more than they already do!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Frankie7799

Re: Re: Re: World Finals 2013
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »

Super bummed....

I have to ask this question: what experience is he basing this on? is this someone who knows the salt and its habits or did he see 3" of water at lands end and make the call?

Not meaning to disparage your friend, only looking to qualify his opinion. As someone's tag line here says: "Without data you are just another man with an opinion". Again, not doubting your friends observations, just checking his qualifications.

If we don't get to run this year because of rain, there are going to be at least two people in Butler County with wives that will want to replace them more than they already do!

I thought the same thing. Im hoping the Finals are a go. It sure would be nice to see that car of yours in person and I know Sparky, Andy and I really want to run the new lakester there. Guess only time and the SCTA/BNI folks will tell.