Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459694 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #765 on: June 27, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »
The guys were around to discuss the GPS system and asked a lot of questions I couldn't answer.
It all boiled down to real time or how fast I wanted the info displayed.
Maybe someone here could offer some insight?.

The speed is covered but other things like pressures and temps are the issue.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #766 on: June 27, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
Mike,

Are you talking about real time back to the pit/crew or the cockpit display?  I'm also going to assume the faster the data gets displayed the higher the cost.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #767 on: June 27, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
Johan from SafeQuip was here today with the fire suppression systems.

There are two for the cockpit and up front.
The main one for the rear of the car that will cover the motor and fuel tank is a special system developed in Europe.
It's fully automated and apart from mounting it the experts will plumb the lines and do the wiring.
We found a perfect spot for it and it has built in mounts which I think is a win.
It's a really heavy setup with a price tag to with it.

I also got 4 empty bottles that I can get filled with Nitrogen for the pneumatic jacks and chute release. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Good day all round.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #768 on: June 27, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »
More pics.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #769 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
Last one.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #770 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »
Johan from SafeQuip was here today with the fire suppression systems.

There are two for the cockpit and up front.
The main one for the rear of the car that will cover the motor and fuel tank is a special system developed in Europe.
It's fully automated and apart from mounting it the experts will plumb the lines and do the wiring.
We found a perfect spot for it and it has built in mounts which I think is a win.
It's a really heavy setup with a price tag to with it.

I also got 4 empty bottles that I can get filled with Nitrogen for the pneumatic jacks and chute release. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Good day all round.

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #771 on: June 27, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
Sorry about the above, I hit post before I types the reply. Mike, if the FireTec is a sponsorship deal see if they will give a couple of spare charged fire bottles to take with you. Whether you are on Gardner or Bonneville a minor fire with an auto system could discharge and end your racing week for lack of a spare. David Freiburger, Hot Rod Magazine, sadi it best, "Bonneville is like racing on the moon"! Very true when it comes to spares.

Project is looking good.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #772 on: June 27, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
Mike,

Are you talking about real time back to the pit/crew or the cockpit display?  I'm also going to assume the faster the data gets displayed the higher the cost.

There's no cost involved. That's for their account.
I assume it will be to the crew. The thing that came up was that by the time I saw a problem in the cockpit it might be too late but we (you) all know that already.
I'm a greenhorn when it comes to this stuff.

The guy that owns the company is a gear head and has a collection. He drove "street class" drag cars here and ran in the 10s. Pretty good for our altitude. 6000ft.
I was offered work as well. Carbon parts for his Porsche 99 something. He was here in a Nissan GTR so I asked how it ran. He said it was a Nissan and ran like one. :-D
He used language not suitable for our family oriented forum but said the gearbox was noisy, the brakes faded badly and the 11 coats of clear was BS. His cats wrecked the hood.

The deal is that they'll be back when the car is wired for sound but its looking good for now.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #773 on: June 27, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
Sorry about the above, I hit post before I types the reply. Mike, if the FireTec is a sponsorship deal see if they will give a couple of spare charged fire bottles to take with you. Whether you are on Gardner or Bonneville a minor fire with an auto system could discharge and end your racing week for lack of a spare. David Freiburger, Hot Rod Magazine, sadi it best, "Bonneville is like racing on the moon"! Very true when it comes to spares.

Project is looking good.

BR

Thanks Bill, I'll do that. You're right. To think I knew guys that had "fire" bottles in their cars that were actually for the nitrous system.
These guys are salt of the earth and behind me 100%. They'll give me good backup. I promise you I won't leave home without those extra charged bottles. :wink:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #774 on: June 27, 2014, 12:36:23 PM »
Mike
What are the pressure rating the empties? If they are not high pressure bottles, you might need high pressure vessels with regulators on them to give you enough air.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #775 on: June 27, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
Ron, the Festo guys said I needed 6Bar bottles to be safe.
SafeQuip brought me 10Bar empties. Johan is going to get me valves for them as well.

I'm thinking of painting the non fire bottles green because they'll be filled with Nitrogen and I want to avoid confusion.

I live in a country where the odd "oops" is not uncommon. :-D

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #776 on: June 27, 2014, 10:17:45 PM »
Mike

Always good to color code for the attention deprived.

Bottom line, we do everything we can to idiot proof stuff but we always underestimate the idiots!

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #777 on: June 27, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
Mike,

Bottom line, we do everything we can to idiot proof stuff but we always underestimate the idiots!

BR

The old Id 10 t syndrome :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #778 on: June 28, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »
Mike, data recording is probably more important than real time display.  The mind cannot usefully comprehend and analyze a lot of data input during vehicle operation.  It is the stuff you pull up from the laptop after the run that does the most good. 

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #779 on: June 28, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
    An old departed pilot friend of mine used to tell me: "You can make something fool-proof, but you can't make it dam#ed fool-proof".
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]