Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459825 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #735 on: June 12, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »
Looking good Mikey! The stuff you do blows me away brother! Glad to see you are making good progress.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #736 on: June 12, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
Gentlemen, I thank you.

I've had many loves in my life but this girl is the ONE. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Amen to that brother, Amen :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:52:29 AM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #737 on: June 14, 2014, 01:28:53 AM »
Cars are not my strong point so I do not know much about what I see, but it sure looks like creative thinking and good workmanship.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #738 on: June 14, 2014, 01:56:12 AM »
Thanks guys.

This is all the motivation one needs. :cheers: :cheers:

It's winter here now and cold by my standards. I used to call it "Hockey Season" but these days not so much.

The airport about 12 miles away was closed due to ice on the runway. I had -4*C on my pyrometer the other day.
Working with resins becomes interesting and normally we switch to fast hardeners. With all that the temperature is up to T shirt territory by 10AM so you do the work a little later.

We have these rolling black outs here that some idiot from the electricity company calls "load shedding". What a muppet!!!!

The compressor was full yesterday so I had something I could do while the lights were out.

Using the dremel tool I cut the honeycomb between the panel skins in order to fill the void with resin based filler.
This will give a nice even surface for the lid to seal on.

I got the box perfectly level on the work table and waited for the electricity to come back on.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #739 on: June 14, 2014, 02:04:15 AM »
When I worked at Adam Aircraft we used Hysol epoxy products for filling and bonding. You can find good deals on out of date products that can not be use on aircraft but are still good for everything else.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #740 on: June 14, 2014, 02:10:48 AM »
Two hours later I had the chance to fire up the scale and weigh some resin. :-D

We take electricity for granted until we don't have it.

I poured the mix into the cavity I'd created and waited for it to settle.
The resin needs a filler to ward off exotherm. Plain resin in any thickness over a 1/4" will really generate serious heat so I fill using a concoction of micro balloons and cotton flocks.
Stirring the mix and checking how it runs off the spatula is a good indication of whether more filler is needed.
When it runs slow enough for my liking it's time to pour.

It looked good so I left it to cure and went to the classic car club with Guido.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #741 on: June 14, 2014, 02:38:41 AM »
Very nice :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #742 on: June 14, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »
We have these rolling black outs here that some idiot from the electricity company calls "load shedding". What a muppet!!!!

Ah the joys of systems that look out for "our" well being.  :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #743 on: June 17, 2014, 01:33:04 AM »
Sparky, a few years back it was really bad and we lost a lot in earnings.

This was a long weekend here so I did manage to get quite a bit done on the car.

This radiator box is a never ending saga. :roll:

I keep finding more to do.

I needed a good way to attach the lid and at first I was going to bond and rivet angle brackets (14) to the inside wall.
That entailed a bunch of rivets, rivnuts and getting every one of them lined up exactly.

I was looking at the Aluminum rivnuts and they have a built in washer with raised areas all round the circumference for grip (I guess).
It came to me that if I inverted the rivnuts and bonded them into the walls of the box they'd be perfectly anchored.

I marked the lid carefully, drilled 14 x 1/4" holes through it and placed it accurately on the box. Then I taped it in position and drilled all the pilot holes.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #744 on: June 17, 2014, 01:37:04 AM »
Once that was done I opened the holes on the box so that all the rivnuts would fit without interference and had some wiggle room.
I coated all the 8mm bolts with release agent and snugged the inverted rivnuts up tight.

Next was to mix some Epoxy filler and pour a decent amount into all the cavities ensuring it didn't come pouring out when I installed the lid.
Guess work for sure and I know I'll have to top up most of them after cure.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #745 on: June 17, 2014, 01:57:39 AM »
It's lonely working the way I do but I had a visitor here this weekend. :-D

Ryan MacRitchie is family and he needed some work done on his new bike so when he asked I was eager to help.

He wanted to know what I'd charge to fit a Titanium canister to the Yamaha so I said he could just pay for Argon.
I ran out of gas and the finances are non existent at present. He said cool, paid Guido and we had gas. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I made two collars to join the Ti canister to the branch and had to weld a short section in where we cut the "cat" away.
One custom hanger bracket later we had the best sounding triple I've ever heard. In fact it is the best sounding bike I've heard.

He saved two grand, I have gas and it was cool to have the youngster here. We had a few laughs when getting the bike up on the bench.
I've watched too many "fails" on Youtube. :-D :-D :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #746 on: June 17, 2014, 02:01:17 AM »
I never rode the bike but tried it on for size.

It's pretty small for what it is but the sound that it makes now is awesome.
Ryan saved about 10lbs to boot.

My monthly shave and shower are due today. :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #747 on: June 18, 2014, 12:49:51 AM »
Deon and Markus from Festo delivered the pneumatic rams for the car yesterday. :cheers:
Just another piece in the puzzle.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #748 on: June 18, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »
  Wow! How do you get that kind of service? They donate lots of goodies, then hand deliver them. Pretty cool.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #749 on: June 18, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »
Yes Doug, I get lucky sometimes.  :-D:cheers:
These are cool dudes and their service is excellent.