Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459779 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #510 on: March 31, 2014, 07:53:55 AM »
Deon, the rep from Festo came around earlier to drop off a sample pneumatic lift for me to test/play with.

Our 4 lifts will arrive in a week and I wanted a sample to use for making a template to make mounting plates.

No need. The lifts come with plates so I'll wait instead of creating more work for myself. :-D

The quality on these lifts is top shelf.

Now we really are in the Bigs. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #511 on: March 31, 2014, 09:06:53 AM »
Thanks for vindicating the many other racers that say this:

"Even without experience I know that it will be tight no matter what.

One thinks the car is 33ft long and packaging would be no problem!!!.
Guys from JPL would be scratching their heads.

I have the biggest respect for anyone who ever built a lakester or a liner.
I even need a smaller battery now because I have nowhere I can get the current one to fit.
"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #512 on: March 31, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »
Outstanding Mikey! Tons of progress. It's good to see the old girl outside the confines of the shop.

These pictures are just what I needed to get my mojo back. I had a dream about being on the salt with Hank last night, then I come in today to see all the pictures of your car! Something tells me I'll be back on track in no time! Keep it up brother!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Tman

« Reply #513 on: March 31, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
Nice progress. They always look better outside.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #514 on: March 31, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »
Looking good Mikey! The only issue I see is that you're getting awfully close to the flower beds and if you do damage there car construction could then become problematic!  :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #515 on: March 31, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
You have done a lot of well thought out design and fabrication  in 6 months, PJ and I would be there tomorrow if you lived closer. Really looking forward to seeing it run. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline tauruck

« Reply #516 on: March 31, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »
Pete,Thank you. There's a dang mole right where the rear of the car was.
He's enemy number one. He's too sharp for the Jack Russels and has the little lady in constant kill mode.
She gets home after work and doesn't even greet me. She's obsessed.

Years back I did what I called my Cu Chi thing. No tunnels after that. :evil:
It involved a gallon of gas, a length of garden hose and a lighter.

Joe, I was wondering where you were?. Good to hear from you.  You'll do it. Those problems are there to be overcome. I'm rooting for you more than anyone else here on the forum. :cheers:

Trent, all the muscles are sore today. That sucker is heavy but it was worth it seeing it low down for the first time.

Glen, you and PJ would be most welcome. I really wish I lived further away from Africa though.

Guys all the kind remarks and comments are what keep me going. You all help more than you think. God Bless. :cheers:

Offline roygoodwin

« Reply #517 on: March 31, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
try googling "propane rodent blaster" :-D.  Rodenator is one brand that claims to have "Worldwide Distribution "

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #518 on: April 01, 2014, 12:07:15 AM »
Just pour some stale race gas down the mole hole and the little bugger is history.  It works best if you do not light it on fire.  The fumes either kill it or convince it the neighbor has a nicer yard.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #519 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
Just make an extension tube for your cutting torch, stick it in the tunnel, you have an AO bomb in the tunnel now... Lighting it off could be the trick... sometimes when we fill balloons, we just use an old extension cord with the end cut off and a couple of the wire strands twisted together.... yes it might trip the breaker, but it will set off the charge.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #520 on: April 01, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
A word of caution, static electricity can set off "acetylene balloons".

A friend of mine suffered facial burns and ruptured eardrums as the result.

Not fun,   Don

Offline tauruck

« Reply #521 on: April 01, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
Don't get me started on the Acetylene. :-D :-D :-D

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #522 on: April 01, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
I may or may not have sent a coffee can through the roof of a shop with acetylene. Any eye witnesses can easily be discredited because they all turned and ran at the resounding BOOM!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #523 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »
Some guys I knew from a previous job separated a VW bug from its belly pan once with a garbage bag filled with acetylene and an extension cord. Think they wound up separating their ear drums and some glass from neaby windows as well lol

Offline tauruck

« Reply #524 on: April 01, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »
This will get out of hand and I don't want the NSA to investigate me but we have a problem with Indian Minahs.
This is the most obnoxious bird ever. Some idiot brought a pair in from India a long time ago.

Now we are overrun. They kill anything they can but their chirping is like chalk on a board or gravel grating in a stainless pan.
This bird sat on my TV antenna and drove me nuts with his screeching so I modified a 2L Coke top by fitting two wires with a little silicon sealer.
Held the bottle upside down and got some Acetylene right up there. I put the bottle on the roof with the wires running down to the shop.
12V battery and I waited.

I love tig welding but I need peace and quiet because i'm not Unobtanium and this bird seems to know when I start.
Long story short. IED. IT EXPLODED DANGEROUSLY!!! Too much gas?. I don't know but I had to replace a few tiles after the feather snow.
HOOAH!!!! Gone. I actually need an air rifle. :cheers: