Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459338 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3735 on: December 12, 2023, 12:33:42 PM »
I think you will find many 'liners run narrow track width's. Flashpoint is less than 30"
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3736 on: December 12, 2023, 01:06:07 PM »
 37" outside measurement is a good number Mike & is normal for a lot of liners. With you not having been around any other liners it just looks narrow AF. My 4WD front is 35" wide outside with tire clearance for steering giving a center to center tire track of 22". The rear body is 36" with a track center of 25". That's enough clearance to run the 30x9x18 Mickey. The Goodyear is a touch narrower than that so either tire will be ok. On top of that 30" you'll need a minimum 1-1/2" for tire growth & that's going to be at the "positive" bump stop if you have suspension.
 If you come back later & weld in another set of bungs in the intake just bolt the muther on the engine, it won't move!
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3737 on: December 13, 2023, 12:20:44 AM »
Showing great restraint on not commenting on the width of your rear...Back to the injector bungs🤔 Can you Fab -up 8 more and bore them 9/10 ths  of the way thru? Then if needed you can remove the manifold and finish the bores. Might save having to machine the surface flat twice as all that welding WILL warp the surface. Carry on, JB

Jerry, I read your comment and replied without actually seeing what you were saying. Last night I was up in bed thinking and then it sunk in. Absolute "genius" brother!!!!!. Don't turn the bungs all the way through!!!!!!!!. I've been on this liner for the longest time and have three or four instances where guys have presented me with "Eureka" moments. This is one. Thank you, thank you. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3738 on: December 13, 2023, 12:29:03 AM »
37" outside measurement is a good number Mike & is normal for a lot of liners. With you not having been around any other liners it just looks narrow AF. My 4WD front is 35" wide outside with tire clearance for steering giving a center to center tire track of 22". The rear body is 36" with a track center of 25". That's enough clearance to run the 30x9x18 Mickey. The Goodyear is a touch narrower than that so either tire will be ok. On top of that 30" you'll need a minimum 1-1/2" for tire growth & that's going to be at the "positive" bump stop if you have suspension.
 If you come back later & weld in another set of bungs in the intake just bolt the muther on the engine, it won't move!
  Sid.

Thanks Sid. I'm going with 36" axle flange to axle flange. I measured and eyeballed the situation. The bulge on the body work won't be crazy. Adding 2 1/2" on each side will work. Not worried about tyre growth. I made provision for that from day one. The tyres I have are the units off the Target 550 Marlo sent me for setup. I'll PM you.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3739 on: December 13, 2023, 12:35:36 AM »
Mike, Target 550 is 36 inches wide... so track is narrower than that....

Bob. Thanks. I'm going 36". I'm a noob and the current deal looks way too narrow. The old adage "if it looks right, it goes right". It just doesn't look right.
It's tough getting one's head around this LSR thing. I come from single seater wings and slicks and as Tom advised I should turn everything I know about motorsports on its head.
36" is fine by me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3740 on: December 13, 2023, 02:39:49 PM »
Mike, with any luck all you will be doing is going straight... no cornering... I think the track on our Yellow Liner (something happened and it turned sharp left) was 24 inches, the lakester is 31R x 44F and the new liner is 24F and 8R.  These are the center track measurements....
Be thin to win....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3741 on: December 13, 2023, 06:04:12 PM »
Mike....I have moments of lucidity :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3742 on: December 13, 2023, 10:16:41 PM »
Mike, with any luck all you will be doing is going straight... no cornering... I think the track on our Yellow Liner (something happened and it turned sharp left) was 24 inches, the lakester is 31R x 44F and the new liner is 24F and 8R.  These are the center track measurements....
Be thin to win....  :cheers:

Stainless, I'm a good worker but sometimes I lose it and overthink stuff. There's not even a drawing for this chassis. I measured the width last night. It's 32" so with the offset on the wheels I'm going for 31". The diff housing with all the mounting plates and links are already built and narrowing that is impossible now. Here's another small problem. Chris from ARP sent me a set of NASCAR wheel lugs. They have the thread start/alignment nub that's fairly long. I'd hate to have to cut those.

Thanks for the input brother. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3743 on: December 13, 2023, 10:17:58 PM »
Mike....I have moments of lucidity :cheers:

You definitely do. Geniuses are like that. 👊🏻👍🏻👌🏻😁

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3744 on: December 14, 2023, 12:06:07 PM »
 You won't be doing pit stops Mike so cut the studs! cromag
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3745 on: December 14, 2023, 09:56:44 PM »
I'll have to. Thanks Sid.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3746 on: December 14, 2023, 10:26:15 PM »
Mike...When you chop those studs off with a cut-off wheel on your angle grinder....Remove the lug nut first and spin a thread chaser down the stud. It will clean off the burrs when you take it off. JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3747 on: December 15, 2023, 04:46:22 AM »
Mike...When you chop those studs off with a cut-off wheel on your angle grinder....Remove the lug nut first and spin a thread chaser down the stud. It will clean off the burrs when you take it off. JB

I'm a national champion at cutting bolts. I live in Africa brother. The selection is good but not great. I've been spinning nuts on for years. 🤣🤣🤣
Just a pity to cut these works of art man. Sad.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3748 on: December 15, 2023, 06:02:07 PM »

So, cut them artfully, Mike.  :-)
Wayno

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3749 on: December 16, 2023, 11:58:25 PM »
I'll take that Wayno!!!.  :wink:
Thanks brother.

Guys, these file reducer programmes are driving me nuts.
I have a bunch of photos to post but they keep getting rotated.
I tried five times yesterday and eventually gave up.
I edit them and save but when I post they rotate.😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

I give up. Maybe Jon can help?. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻