Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459467 times)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3720 on: December 01, 2023, 09:28:08 AM »
I don't know why my files are rotating when posted????.
Sorry guys. I'll try figure it out.
Not to worry Mike! Maybe it's because you're below the equator!?  :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3721 on: December 01, 2023, 12:16:38 PM »
No problem with rotated photos it shows that you are about 1/2 way to Australia :cheers: Keep up the good work Mike, your car is amazing 
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3722 on: December 01, 2023, 02:31:17 PM »
Bravo on the metal shaping with hammer form Mike...This old panel beater approves. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3723 on: December 03, 2023, 01:58:14 AM »
I don't know why my files are rotating when posted????.
Sorry guys. I'll try figure it out.
Not to worry Mike! Maybe it's because you're below the equator!?  :evil:

Hey brother, gravity is heavier down here. Southern Hemisphere stuff. Even the images have downforce!!.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3724 on: December 03, 2023, 02:00:49 AM »
No problem with rotated photos it shows that you are about 1/2 way to Australia :cheers: Keep up the good work Mike, your car is amazing

Thanks man. The young dude that rebuilt the PC left out the programme I was using to reduce the jpegs. The online stuff works but also has a mind of its own.
Thanks for the compliment on the liner. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3725 on: December 03, 2023, 02:05:03 AM »
Bravo on the metal shaping with hammer form Mike...This old panel beater approves. :cheers:

Jerry, it's soft material but I had salty sweat running into my eyes and arm pump worse than in my Motocross days.
I used to tuck my tie into my shirt when I ducked out of the dealership to work on the F2 car. My race engineer said I was a born sheet metal worker.
The jury is still out but I read a lot so maybe that helps?. Thanks brother.👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3726 on: December 03, 2023, 02:16:26 AM »
I whine about finances but I've got a bunch of material to keep me going.

I'm making parts randomly. If I get the itch to make ducts in the morning then that's what I do.
I'm an amateur aerodynamicist but the wind tunnel doesn't lie and nor does the stopwatch.
I see air. No joke.

I need help on placing my turbo intakes?. I know where I would like to position them but one has to take into account where the Speed Demon's units are.
I was thinking on top of the body work because of the surface I'll be running on. I don't need a dust plume being sucked into my system.
The work is the same whether I locate the ducts on the side or on top.

The Hakskeen Pan's surface seems harder than Elmo from the images of cars running there.
I'll go with whatever you boys suggest. Thanks in advance. 🙏🏻

Offline bubruins

« Reply #3727 on: December 04, 2023, 12:37:57 PM »
There's a lot of different theories here. My guess on the speed demon placement is due to the bulging rear end for tires and having an available high pressure area ahead of the rear tires to take the air from efficiently. Relativism from many other cars both land speed and others says top of the car works best. If you look at LeMans and Daytona prototypes which have rules that encourage efficient downforce they intake air from the top at the front and exhaust at the back at the bottom. I intend to take air from a high pressure spot on top, but will wind up testing at least 2 styles. The most conservative, surefire solution seems to be a scoop like the Burkdoll and Burklands cars.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3728 on: December 04, 2023, 10:33:56 PM »
My gut said top and yesterday I had some high density foam plugs I was trying.
Fitting them on the side is going to be problematic and as in all forms of motorsport it's all compromise.
Top is how I'm going. My initial body design was loosely based on Bobby Moore's Maro Bros liner but since changing the chassis braces the shape is leaning more towards Speed Demon from the roll hoop back. Just too complicated to build around the tubing and I'll have space for the intercooler box.

Biggest concern is the 16 injector bungs. If I weld them all in and Bosch says no to my request for 8 more injectors how do I plug the holes?.
This project is frying my brain. Thanks for the input brother. Much appreciated.

Offline jl222

« Reply #3729 on: December 04, 2023, 11:58:13 PM »

I'm not positive but have heard that freeze plugs fit.

JL222

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3730 on: December 05, 2023, 01:27:07 AM »
Thanks JL. I just got a PM from Kiwi Belly Tank.
He's a logical dude.  :laugh:
I'm losing my head here and he says weld the extra 8 in if and when needed.

I'll fry the originals in to one side of the runners so when the time comes I won't have painted myself into a corner. 🙏🏻

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3731 on: December 12, 2023, 02:35:56 AM »
Track.
How wide should the track on my reared be???.

My wheels are offset to the inside. My chassis is about 37'.
I've got drawings for the bearing cups that will be pressed into the axle tubes but I need to add the length in.
If I go with the current measurement of 31.5" it looks way too narrow.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3732 on: December 12, 2023, 08:03:38 AM »
Showing great restraint on not commenting on the width of your rear...Back to the injector bungs🤔 Can you Fab -up 8 more and bore them 9/10 ths  of the way thru? Then if needed you can remove the manifold and finish the bores. Might save having to machine the surface flat twice as all that welding WILL warp the surface. Carry on, JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3733 on: December 12, 2023, 09:12:31 AM »
Jerry, my sponsor that does the machining has closed for Christmas.
I'll catch up with them next year.

I'm working on all non machining related right now. Composites and Aluminium sheet metal.
Got enough to keep me busy.

Been going with my gut most of the way and the reared is too narrow. If I don't get advice I'll wing it.
Thanks for the comments my brother.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3734 on: December 12, 2023, 11:06:07 AM »
Mike, Target 550 is 36 inches wide... so track is narrower than that.... 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O