Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459367 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3675 on: November 03, 2023, 08:27:49 PM »
Actually I am not assuming anything as far as the type of crash. I any crash having the engine exit the area is a plus as it won't be around to beat on the part the driver is in and obviously the car will lose lots of crash energy as things are broken off.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3676 on: November 03, 2023, 10:04:12 PM »
Actually I am not assuming anything as far as the type of crash. I any crash having the engine exit the area is a plus as it won't be around to beat on the part the driver is in and obviously the car will lose lots of crash energy as things are broken off.

Rex

...but you said twice "from the cage forward"  ???
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3677 on: November 06, 2023, 02:07:24 AM »
As usual you guys weigh in with great advice. All accepted without any "yeah buts" on my side.

By now most of you know Tom is my mentor and I get these long emails. I mean detailed stuff that is sometimes hard for my little brain to process. He knows his subject and I've followed his advice to the letter. He said turn everything you learned about the lightweight race cars you've been used on its head. Build heavy and strong. Overkill. He stressed that I enclose the roll cage completely to avoid FOD in the event of a crash and mailed me many photos of the end results of crashes. It was clear that an open roll hoop was not the way to go.

When he suggested I strengthen the chassis from the cage back I jumped on it immediately and built a substantial structure that was removable and would do the job. What I failed to do was take into account that my "box" would interfere with everything coming from the turbos to the plenum chamber and more. I painted myself into a corner. I can't mount the coil packs on the rocker boxes, plumb the tubing from the cold side of the turbos to the plenum and a bunch of other stuff because of my "gung ho" attitude. Packaging is crazy on this project. This was the most shocking thing I've encountered on the build.

I've got the materials to remedy the situation and a design that takes the main braces in a straight line to the roll hoop. I should have waited until I had completely mocked up the motor with all the plumbing and coils before jumping in feet first. TOTALLY my fault but it's a minor glitch when compared to my 14 iterations on the tandem steer. I eventually asked Brad King if I could please copy his system and he said "knock yourself out brother".

I'll get into the new design today and my guess is by Friday I should have it sorted. I want to thank all of you for your input. This liner wouldn't be possible without all of you pitching in.

I logged in this morning to tell you guys I was going to can the project but after reading the comments I just can't bail.

I know everyone thinks their problems are the biggest in the world and I'm guilty of this. I've been getting whipped locally by a lot of broken promises and people who judge me by my appearance.
Sponsors come around to drop off product and when they hear I'm also the driver I get the "look". I know it well. Been getting it since I was 5 years old. Too small for school sports, hockey and even had discrimination in the Army. Bullied by everyone. These guys look at this old dude and can't figure that he can drive. I've never driven a liner but neither has any other South African.

Guys are laughing at me "behind my back" when I go collect stuff from sponsors but I see and hear everything. I'm not 5 anymore and overcame the bullying, size thing and other obstacles. I'm not here to brag because humility runs in the family on both sides. We do however tell it like it is.
I had a drama at my power tools sponsor and if it were not for the project and all the other sponsors involved I might be sitting in a cell right now. I treat everyone with the utmost respect but don't try make a fool of me based on what your eyes are showing you. From the age of 13 I've never lost a fight on the street, on the ice, in the ring or in the Army. I served in a unit known as the "terrible ones" and I get some kid with Lilly white hands condescending me. I got out of the building intact but I'm that guy that will cut off his nose to spite his face. I love my Makita tools but the staff at Rutherford need manners and also need to tell the truth. They can shove their tools.

Building a liner on a zero budget is not for sissies. I have to swallow hard and I'm being treated like a beggar or an operator of sorts. My intentions are pure. There's no angle to this project. I'm offering advertising space in return for materials or products. I've got some awesome sponsors who show real interest in what I'm doing and then I have those that sent a delivery truck without even meeting me in person.

Members here send me a message asking what I still need?. They say $130 is chump change, give me your details. That 130 bucks is 8 grand here. Packages arrive!!!!. Just when I'm ready to quit.

I'm a known whiner!!!!. Maybe it's my way of venting????. Maybe it's motivation?.

I have no idea where the next penny is coming from but I got myself into this and I refuse to quit.

Lourens Kloppers is a cool dude from BCSG Stainless Steel Products and he dropped off a pile of Stainless Steel elbows and a Y junction on Friday. Thanks BCSG!!!!!!. I have enough material to keep me busy for a few months and hopefully in the New Year more miracles arrive.

The thing that bugs me most is the lack of communication. Companies agree on a deal and I don't hear back. You call and someone is running interference. If you've changed your mind just tell me!. If the answer is NO I can deal with it but leaving me hanging is causing sleepless nights.
Too many things up in the air right now.

Sorry for the story of my life on here but I wear my heart on my sleeve.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3678 on: November 06, 2023, 08:18:13 AM »
Hey Mike, I'm fond of saying "if this stuff was easy everyone would be doing it." 
It does take a special kind of stupid/smart (select based on how the day is going) to build LandSpeed vehicles.  It takes passion... perseverance... patience... a boat load of money and skill.... OK, I don't have any of that,  :?  well maybe passion.... I do like going fast and getting others involved in going fast.  The rest of it you just muddle through...
You are the only guy in SA building a streamliner...
Keep the faith brother....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3679 on: November 06, 2023, 11:53:07 AM »
When you want something bad enough you find a way to make it happen Mike, that's what you're doing. If anybody else has a problem with that, it's their problem. You & I are kids from the wrong side of the tracks & there were a whole lot of people that thought my liner would end up as one of those incomplete dreams collecting dust but that attitude just inspired me to push harder. I ran up against the wall a few times & had to walk away to retain my sanity but I was never going to experience the regret of not finishing this monster.
Like all your other fights, this one will just make you stronger.
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #3680 on: November 06, 2023, 01:08:37 PM »
Sid,
Wise words from a man that has been there! Hang in there Mike we are all pulling for you.

Rex
Rex

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3681 on: November 06, 2023, 07:01:26 PM »
Mike,

Hang in there! Someday people will be telling stories about the guy from South Africa who built a streamliner just like they do now about Burt Munro.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3682 on: November 06, 2023, 09:07:49 PM »
Oh hell Mike.....I use you as an example all the time......😂😂😂 :cheers: Carry on,  JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3683 on: November 07, 2023, 12:53:04 AM »
Thanks guys. You all make my heart sing!!!!.

After I posted yesterday I was a little embarrassed by what I wrote but it comes from the heart.
I was the kid that overcame huge odds. I could write a book and have been told I should by guys far more intelligent than I am.
I'm a fighter and I don't quit or lose. No Napoleonic complex here. If I get poked I react. Simple.

Never driven a land speed anything and the fastest car I've driven ever was a Camaro with a Sonny Leonard 510 on the bottle. It did 189mph on a public road.
My friend in the States David built a liner and went to a meet recently at an AFB. He said he couldn't believe how stable it was and how well it cut through the air.
I want that. I'm not in this for glory. I'm in it to prove to myself it's doable from A to Z. IMHO when you've successfully completed a build on an LSR vehicle you
earn the right to call yourself a man. This is Everest in boxer shorts without Oxygen.

The upside is one learns to come up with solutions. Your brain is working 24/7. I love it. You said when it becomes a chore I need to step away. It's not a chore with the physical build
but some of the personalities I have to deal with makes it near impossible.

My life has been all about instant decisions. Too slow and you pay dearly. I get promised things and then I wait. Rather say no!!!. We have a term here "ja broer" and translated means "yes brother". I'm dealing with them right now!!!!!!.

Anyway, God Bless you all for helping keep me sane and out of jail. LSR brothers from different mothers.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3684 on: November 07, 2023, 11:18:05 AM »
It seems we have the same sentiment towards our long piles of parts Mike! It's not about "look at me", it all about challenging oneself. I just want to go fast, maybe scare the $hit out of myself & share it with people I like. Now that my junk is basically finished it's weird not going to sleep working on a problem & waking up with a solution for it. The build has always been the most rewarding part for me over the years, I just like to build $hit! :mrgreen:
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3685 on: November 08, 2023, 02:06:43 AM »
Sid, you nailed it.

I think us Southern Hemisphere guys are a lot alike.
I complain and stuff but I honestly don't know what I'd do without this "long problem".

You're done!!!!!. Beat the winter. Come on over and watch some insanity here in Summer.
I know how you chop wood over there. South Africans love you Kiwi guys. You're a mate
and I'll never forget the first advice you gave me. Put all your s**t on the workshop floor and make chalk markings.
There's not one drawing here for the chassis. I swear on the Bible. I eyeballed it just like you said. I'm 6" short and talking of SHORT it's been a thing for me forever.😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
God Bless you man.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3686 on: November 08, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »
My junk was 2 or 3" short too M8 & it's only 40ft long & built in a 30ft shed :? I think "long enough" isn't for streamliners!
I'd luv to make a trip to your downunda but I'm a poor boy & have to keep crawling around dead semi's in the snow to afford to run my big pile of parts. When you get ready to run yours maybe I could sell a kidney or something else I treasure & come down & crew for you.
  Sid.

Offline salt27

« Reply #3687 on: November 08, 2023, 02:02:39 PM »
it's weird not going to sleep working on a problem & waking up with a solution for it. Sid.

Do we all do this? Seems strange that this works more often than it doesn't. 

Don

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3688 on: November 09, 2023, 02:06:09 AM »
My junk was 2 or 3" short too M8 & it's only 40ft long & built in a 30ft shed :? I think "long enough" isn't for streamliners!
I'd luv to make a trip to your downunda but I'm a poor boy & have to keep crawling around dead semi's in the snow to afford to run my big pile of parts. When you get ready to run yours maybe I could sell a kidney or something else I treasure & come down & crew for you.
  Sid.

Bobby Moore said don't build as long as the Maro!!!!. I went shorter. I could use a foot or two. Brother, funny stuff happens. We get lucky and catch a break. No kidneys involved. Maybe when I'm ready we both might be too old?. 😂😂

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #3689 on: November 09, 2023, 01:23:52 PM »
I think that once Mike gets his lump done we all need to pitch in to help get him to the salt.  I can pitch in something and I am sure that he will be able to find plenty of help. Could be a few years though.

Don't knock us old guys, I am still infatuated with Bonneville and I kicked over 80 a few months ago.

Rex
Rex