Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459466 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3660 on: October 19, 2023, 07:55:09 AM »
My gasket materials and sealers from Victor Reinz South Africa.

Awesome products thanks to Dean and his family.

All I need are head gaskets now.

The rest is covered. Water, oil and exhaust.

Got gloves, cutting tools and branding.

This company knows how to do business and although a new backer the guys are right up there.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3661 on: October 19, 2023, 11:06:38 AM »
I finally figured how to reduce image sizes that fall within the parameters set here.

A pic of the abrasives I collected from Klingspor. Saw that brown box and thought they sent ye a case of Guiness. :cheers:

Thanks to Brent and Clodia.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3662 on: October 19, 2023, 01:22:50 PM »
I called about ten companies about an electric motor to run my water pump and not one came back.
A good thing because when I was looking for other bits in a box in the dark back room of the shop this baby jumped into my hand.
Can't remember where it came from but I hooked it up to a battery and it runs great.

I had some nice plate lying around so I blued it, marked, drilled, cut and counterbored the slots on the drill press. Amazing what can happen when you
drill three pilot holes close together. Slight hand pressure on the drill vise and I think it turned out OK.

On the back I counterbored for the motor bolts and poured in some high temp Epoxy goop to fill the small void around the bearing housing. After it cured
I sanded the plate smooth and the motor was a little difficult to remove but once it did come out and the release agent was cleaned off it fit great.
A little Locktite and she's solid.
I added a tension adjuster and I'm pleased with the finished component. Next step is to make a template for drilling and tapping the motor plate.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3663 on: October 19, 2023, 11:04:10 PM »
Seems like a lot of work & complication to run a water pump when a stock V belt & pullies gets you a water pump & alternator. Remember the KISS theory Mate?
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3664 on: October 20, 2023, 03:26:48 AM »
Believe me Sid I would haven't given this idea a second thought but you know that "PACKAGING" deal where you start your build and giggle???????.
LAUGHING ALWAYS LEADS TO CRYING!!!.

I'm a Burkland kid and he's a 100 years ahead so I'm trained to think 10 steps ahead.

The stock water pump pulley is a little too close to my Carbon oil tank and I wanted to avoid the possibility of a thrown belt ruining my life!!!!.
This was my only other option with the little space I have. The throttle body is also in close proximity so I went with this solution.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #3665 on: October 20, 2023, 12:14:39 PM »
 On my race car for every thing I use I make sure I have a spare with me just in case. Example counting all the electric pumps I use {5} there's five spares I always carry along on the journey. For me having the spares is good insurance especially since the chance of finding anything in Wendover like the pumps needed would be impossible.
 Ronnieroadster

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3666 on: October 31, 2023, 09:48:27 AM »
I guess I'll have to rely on the one I have. No luxury of having spare anything. One bullet will have to do. :cry:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3667 on: October 31, 2023, 09:51:51 AM »
I got a bunch of high density foam for my check pads and headrest.
The Carbon/honeycomb bases were too thick. All that graft for nought.
Then I find the original set I made!!!. Go figure.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3668 on: October 31, 2023, 09:54:28 AM »
Pics.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3669 on: October 31, 2023, 09:55:56 AM »
I made up two brackets to mount my chute Solenoids.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3670 on: November 02, 2023, 10:43:02 AM »
I jumped the gun when I put in the top chassis braces.
Think 10 steps ahead!. I didn't.

No space for the coil packs, the throttle body, plenum and the bag of snakes from the turbos.
Got a plan in the works and material is already cut. I'll gain 8" on top and a bunch on the sides.

I take my licks because I deserve them. IDIOT!!!!!. :wink: :wink:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3671 on: November 02, 2023, 11:51:33 AM »
Don't beat yourself up over a mistake, Mike. We've all done it. In fact, my wife says that I actually built three cars while building one.  lol8
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3672 on: November 03, 2023, 10:19:00 AM »
Looks like you made them removable... so you were at least 5 steps ahead....  :roll: 
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3673 on: November 03, 2023, 02:02:06 PM »
Mike,
I think I would just take them out and not worry about the small amount of strength they may add to your chassis. Your car SO strong from the cage forward, which is the most important area, that the additional strength or stiffness around the engine is somewhat redundant. If, God forbid, you ever do a really big crash, the cage forward is what is important, if the chassis from the cage back literally broke off, which it probably wouldn't as it is a very strong design, you would still be safe.

Rex 
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3674 on: November 03, 2023, 02:55:45 PM »
Mike,
I think I would just take them out and not worry about the small amount of strength they may add to your chassis. Your car SO strong from the cage forward, which is the most important area, that the additional strength or stiffness around the engine is somewhat redundant. If, God forbid, you ever do a really big crash, the cage forward is what is important, if the chassis from the cage back literally broke off, which it probably wouldn't as it is a very strong design, you would still be safe.

Rex

Rex, you're assuming that the car would hit nose first. As you know, at Bonneville if a car gets airborne it can come down in any direction and then tumble.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ