Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459369 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3570 on: November 20, 2022, 07:41:11 PM »
Mike, I believe both Summit and Jeg's offer free shipping over $100...
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3571 on: November 20, 2022, 08:48:39 PM »
With any luck she is going to put it in her luggage and carry it back.... shipping around the states is quick and easy.... but it sounds like SA is a bit rougher...  :?

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #3572 on: November 20, 2022, 11:30:28 PM »
Summit and rock auto carry that timing set.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3573 on: November 21, 2022, 08:20:52 AM »
Slowly, slowly Pete.
Thank you.

Guys thanks for the heads up on the suppliers.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:22:51 AM by tauruck »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3574 on: November 21, 2022, 05:36:23 PM »
Summit and I presume Jegs, have several warehouses and I find they ship well and quickly, no hassle. Certainly less than driving to some local parts shop and asking some person for the part. "What year, what make, what model, what engine, AC etc etc" We don't have but can order it. If you know exactly what you want and summit has it, order it or get her to order it. Easy and quick.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3575 on: November 22, 2022, 12:53:38 AM »
Summit and I presume Jegs, have several warehouses and I find they ship well and quickly, no hassle. Certainly less than driving to some local parts shop and asking some person for the part. "What year, what make, what model, what engine, AC etc etc" We don't have but can order it. If you know exactly what you want and summit has it, order it or get her to order it. Easy and quick.

Thanks Jack, I told her about both. She's the queen of online shopping so she'll handle the deal with ease. Her late husband was the CEO of South Africa's version of Home Depot. The virus took him so she's emigrating to Austin. She has the correct part no already and has 2 months to find the set. I tell you packages arrive weekly for the dog so she uses her card very well. I'm in good hands both here on the forum and in Austin.

You guys might see me as some kind of operator but I'm honest, willing to work and hell bent on completing this project with a budget you guys won't believe. There is no budget!!!!. I rely on miracles and this is just another one. Young guys call me Burt Munro here.  :laugh:

If ever there was a global project this is it. 🙏

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3576 on: December 07, 2022, 12:01:38 PM »
I let Sonya off the hook. I like a freebie like anyone else and if I could afford to buy parts at the current exchange rate I wouldn't think twice. A solution came along. I have to crank out a bunch of Carbon panels for Toyota Celicas and the guy I'm doing them for is my turbo/Fueltech guy Nasen.
He's at PRI and already had the timing chain set delivered to him. It's a barter deal and I feel better about that.
I'll have it around Christmas time.

Great news is my inlet manifold is welded and I'll get it tomorrow so I can get it drilled and milled. After that it goes back to Duncan for final finishing on fitting and welding the injector bungs.
All the pieces are falling into place and all I need now is the cam. No rush on that. Nasen's best bud is the guy that does my motor engineering so my engine will go to him in January for machining and balancing. I'll get a deal there for sure. He has a Serdi machine which IMHO is a win.
This month is a busy one and it's been a roller coaster. Good news and then the daily black outs blew my PC to pieces. Got it rebuilt but I lost data so can my friends here please send me test emails because I have zero email addresses.🙏

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3577 on: December 08, 2022, 06:01:16 PM »
I trust one dude to weld Aluminium for me and he's always delivered.
I set my manifold components in a heavy duty steel jig and supplied 4 accurate spacers to keep the plenum side flanges square and level.
The little woman was in the area so I asked her to buy the brewskis and deliver them because that's what my buddy charges me.
I get the manifold back and it's dark because the power is off but the torch on the phone doesn't lie. The one plate is seriously off.
It's warped and I can tell it wasn't clamped using the spacers I provided and to add insult to injury I can tell Duncan didn't weld the components.
Every welder has a signature style and this wasn't him. He must have given the job to one of his workers. I can tell 100%.
Now when the manifold goes for milling to get things all level and square I'll know there's a 6mm difference.
If the guy said screw the beer and pay me 5 grand for the welding I would have found the bucks. I'm peed off to say the least.
I can't weld Ally because I don't have the right machine or skills but this is unacceptable and I can't complain because it cost me a dozen beers.
I think I can clamp the warped end and warm the metal enough to get it to relax so that the milling won't eat too much metal.

Building this liner in South Africa is akin to a one man mission with limited ammo behind enemy lines and no exfil. No sleep tonight. The part was perfect and now this.
If I sound like a whiner walk a 100 yards in my shoes!!!!!. The only upside is that the girl doesn't know Aluminium from mild steel because if I had gone to collect I might be looking for bail money.
Maybe I'm blind to the signs. Could be LSR is not for me?.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:03:51 PM by tauruck »

Offline floydjer

« Reply #3578 on: December 08, 2022, 07:56:21 PM »
We experts 😇 need a pic or two. Best part of walking a mile in another man' s shoes is that he is a mile away and as no shoes..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3579 on: December 09, 2022, 01:44:45 AM »
Hey Jerry this country is in a dark hole. Can you believe they even have scheduled black outs like stage 6!!!!!!!!!.
6 hours without power every day. What annoys me most is I live in an area a mile away from a big industrial estate
and at 20h00 our lights go out but up on the hill the factories glow in the dark. With an unemployment rate of around 35%
my question is why these factories and warehouses are working 24/7?. It's all BS brother. One power supplier owned by the state
and we're being played.

I'll shoot some pics of the manifold and try post them later. Podunk put so much effort into machining the runners it hurts to see
what came back. Most won't even notice the problem but I'll know and that sucks. I just hope the Carbon plenum fits because I
don't want to have anything out of square on the car or have to fabricate something like that just to fit. The big lesson that came out of this is that
I should have used way thicker plate when I fabbed the parts. Maybe I'm overreacting but this liner needs to look as good as it should run.
Sounds like if you want things right do it yourself. I will start welding Aluminium, make no mistake about it.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3580 on: December 12, 2022, 06:08:20 AM »
This is what a year's hard graft got turned into.
I'm taking a hole saw to it, getting it milled down and making two thicker plates.
After that I'll weld a puddle or 8.  :evil:

Offline floydjer

« Reply #3581 on: December 12, 2022, 03:15:57 PM »
I would be tempted to set that in the press and see if it could be influenced straight(er)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3582 on: December 13, 2022, 03:38:17 AM »
Like the moguls at the ski resort. Jerry it won't even survive milling around the runners. 1mm penetration, all surface welding.🤷‍♂️

My local mentor/big brother Derek says "park it, don't touch it and forget about it until next year".
I'm taking his advice.

NO CARS UNTIL 2023!!!!!. :-)

Offline floydjer

« Reply #3583 on: December 13, 2022, 04:12:31 PM »
I approve  1drink

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3584 on: December 14, 2022, 05:19:54 AM »
Thanks Jerry.
Happy you do. It was a great idea. Just chiilin bro!!!!!.
Got a mold going doing a layer a day for my buddy who is at PRI doin business. :wink: :wink: :wink: