Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459391 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3540 on: February 01, 2022, 12:23:02 AM »
Thanks brother. I remember seeing your woodpile. You live hardcore.
I have taken a step back and when I think of all the stuff I still have to do it scares me.
You've always been straight up honest and I've always valued your advice.

I must be honest. The tire thing has me rattled. I really thought MT would come to the party seeing as I'm
the only one in Africa trying this but they blew me off. I've had 5 companies say "NO" and it's their right to do so.
The MT thing hurt. I need 250 grand South African for two sets of tires. I paid that for the house years back.
My buddy here at home says build it and the rubber will come!!!!.

As you say one bite at a time. I've got some progress coming but I have work here to finish.
We'll take it one day at a time. God Bless you man.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3541 on: February 01, 2022, 02:38:39 AM »
One of my friends recons I live like a refugee but I came from the wrong side of the tracks so I'm comfortable living a pretty simple life & building something that one idiot really shouldn't. :-P
What I suggest you do for the tire situation is to come up with a pickup tire that's 30" tall to get you rolling. I'm planning to shake down my junk in the desert on a set of used 235/85/R16's that I took off my work truck because I sure don't want to risk a set of race tires out there.
When you have your liner closer to running, have a word with Goodyear & see if they'll help you with some Goodyear 30x9x18's & from what I understand, Goodyear actually owns MT Tires now.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3542 on: September 26, 2022, 02:28:28 AM »
Hey Sid, sorry for the late reply.
Goodyear South Africa won't sponsor Jack. I tried when I built the Ranchero before the liner.
I had a handshake agreement with the race tyre marketing guy for rubber. He was all in but by the time I was ready to ask for rubber he had moved on and the new guy at at HQ said Goodyear had a policy that cut off off forms of sponsorship outside of the US.
He did say he could get me tyres but brother the price was way out of my league.

I'm putting all my attention into other components that are more important right now. A company that helped me out with some machining and the good seamless tubing I needed has agreed depending on seeing all the drawings to come on board with machining, the supply of materials I don't already have and it's a great deal with awesome people. Honingcraft Moser is a top notch company and everything they produced is perfect.
My big problem is churning out drawings for every component I need before they commence with the work. I have the following in the works.
The full spool, my version of an intercooler, rear end bearing cups, front hubs, fuel injector housings, weld on turbo couplings and about 15 other pieces that need milling or turning.
Time flies and this project has taken too long so I've got my head down and I won't back down.
The inlet manifold is going to Duncan soon so he can finish welding the parts. One day at a time!!!!!!.
We're suffering with power cuts here. They even have schedules. Stage 3= 3 times a day for 2 hours each and it fluctuates between level 3 and 5.
Work during the on times and then pick your nose the rest. It sucks but hey this is Africa.

The rubber will come when the Good Lord decides it's time. Faith I have in spades. I'm not worried at all.
Guys, sorry for not being a regular contributor but hoping to change that.
To all my awesome buddies, thank you for everything. Love you guys.🙏
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 05:57:47 AM by tauruck »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3543 on: September 26, 2022, 09:35:04 AM »
Mike, If you can't kill 'em with kindness - tear 'em up with tenacity!  :evil:
Keep us all posted bro'!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3544 on: September 26, 2022, 11:08:18 AM »
Mike, I would follow Sid's suggestion... Get it built... down to tires to go race... maybe even shake down on truck tires like Sid.... Then go ask them about tires and sponsorship.
You are in your own field of dreams.... build it and they will come  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3545 on: September 26, 2022, 11:13:56 AM »
Stick to it Mike.......Said the guy with 3 hot rods in various stages of completion. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3546 on: September 27, 2022, 06:13:27 AM »
See why I tell all the locals my American friends are my best. Never seen them in person but love them like brothers.
You guys always motivate, inspire and make sense.
I found a tyre here that matches the Goodyear fronts I'll need when the time comes. Something new to me!. We have "Chicanos" here that jump cars and this low profile 15''
rubber is a match on OD and just slightly wider than the Goodyear. Going to cost a grand but at least I'll be able to get decent drawings for the front hubs.

A little bit of who you know helps. My tyre guy Colin knows people.
I have the 30" rears here that Marlo sent me for setup so things are looking up.

Selling unwanted and unused stuff right now. 4 stroke 250 dirt bike is advertised but it's no biggie because I'm a 2 stroke lover. lol8

Thank you all for always being there for me. I owe you guys big time. Your friendship is better than money.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3547 on: September 27, 2022, 11:28:35 AM »
It's good to hear from you, Mike.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3548 on: September 27, 2022, 03:20:26 PM »
Mike, Maybe you will be able to find some used tires that would save you some money. You just need the tires to use as a mock up. Keep on rolling, you will get it finished :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:23:41 PM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3549 on: September 28, 2022, 06:27:02 AM »
It's good to hear from you, Mike.

Hey Neill, It's been too long. Thank you my brother.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3550 on: September 28, 2022, 06:28:30 AM »
Mike, Maybe you will be able to find some used tires that would save you some money. You just need the tires to use as a mock up. Keep on rolling, you will get it finished :cheers:

I just got offered a set of used fronts from one of the members here. God Bless him. Prayers answered.🙏🙏🙏🙏

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3551 on: September 28, 2022, 09:48:26 PM »
Hey, I'm busy on another customer/friend project.
Same sort of deal as the Mazda but this one is for the street.

Datsun 280Z. My boy Pete went blindly into the deal without taking me with him.
By the time I got to the yard he'd already paid for the car and it was sitting on bricks without wheels.
The guys he brought the car from are fly by nights and they knew I could tell. I never spent 14 years in the trade
for nothing. I know sharks. They couldn't look me in the eye and when they found out where I grew up they were
wobbling.
Straight car but had rust where you find it on 30 year old models that are left out in the elements. The wheels were
at the tire shop for new "rubber". Stall tactics because I would have loaded it there and then.
Pete eventually goes to collect the Datsun and these two boys are absent leaving the security guard to hand over the car.
It was stripped of all the collectable stuff and the trick ECU was gone along with the whole inlet manifold.

Pete just wanted wheel arches, big wheels and a turbo motor. To go fast you need big brakes so we had a sit down and he got the cold hard truth.

My vision for the car was similar to the Porsche GT1 Le Mans car from 95 so when I'm done he'll have a full composite body, roll cage and a modern Nissan V6 twin turbo motor that is cheaper to buy with way more power than a rebuilt straight 6.

Progress is slow and dependent on his cash flow. A few pics of what I'm doing.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3552 on: September 28, 2022, 09:49:57 PM »
It should look similar to the Porsche but without the scoop on the roof.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3553 on: September 28, 2022, 09:53:54 PM »
Looks like a fun project, Mike!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3554 on: September 28, 2022, 10:05:52 PM »
Kids Neill, known the guy since he was 14. I'm his second dad. These guys are in IT and watch too much "REALITY" TV. We'll build it in a month no problem. Dreamers.
You can maybe assemble in a month?.
I humour him and he's stopped spinning his wheels now.
He's now on the power to weight ratio thing and the ton of sound that arrived here a week after the car did is gone. He's been told NO drag racing and if he bends it I won't mend it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: