Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1460201 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2280 on: March 22, 2016, 02:08:44 AM »
All of the above guys. :cheers:
I had drama with the Ingersoll Rand compressor from day one. Motor related.
They gave me a new spare. For some weird reason the original started working
as designed the day the new one arrived. It stopped after 8 years and I mounted #2. That lasted 3 months.
I've spoken to an expert here and he gave me some good advice. He said the 20A
breaker was insufficient for the motor's needs according to the plate. The amps spike
for a short period on startup and the advice was to get a 45A breaker. This is why the lights
in the shop and house dimmed every time the compressor kicked in. He said the spike could be 85A for a millisecond even?.
Allan suggested I go using a process of elimination. I took his advice. The motor on the compressor
is fried. Basket case!!!!.
On the original he suggested checking bearings first. I did and they're shot. New ones today. :cheers:
I changed out the capacitor, internal circuit breaker (the cause of the original problem. 16A) for a 20A.

Now I'm going to install the 45A breaker on the mains board but will remove ceiling tiles and watch for any
weird stuff in the conduit tubing. The wiring is heavy duty because we've checked (the Electrician did) and my 300A
mig machine works fine off its own 45A breaker.

The pressure relief valve is giving problems but I drain the tank every night so the compressor started OK every morning.
It was one of those deals where you're going to get it sorted but other stuff got in the way. My fault completely.

I forgot to drain the tank one night after a hard day and in the morning Zee switched on the main in the shop to open the door so she could get her car out. The motor fried itself but the worrying thing is that when that had happened once before the 20A breaker tripped.
This time not.
One of my sponsors Mike Banks is CEO of Kraus & Naimer an Austrian company that makes high end switches and electrical components.
He's a qualified guy so I'll chat to him today and seeing as he's only 800 yards away as the crow flies he might just swing by and help.
He's also a friend, drinking buddy so I'm quietly confident he's the key. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2281 on: March 22, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
We've sourced the problem and it's all bad news.
My project is dead in the water.
Our national electricity supplier decided to replace the old style meter with a new digital
unit so that they could give clients the option of prepaid and not have to employ thousands of meter readers.
All my machinery is stuffed. compressor, 2 motors @9000 bucks a pop gone.
Mig is damaged too. The new torch I got works no better than the old one I thought was broken.
Tig has a fried board. Not working. Luckily I haven't been using the plasma cutter.

I filed a complaint and got a reference no. With the Easter weekend coming up I never expected a technician
to show up until next week but he was here in two hours. He tested the voltage and we had 227,2 incoming
and 226,5 on the mains in the shop. As soon as I started welding (mig) the voltage dropped to 162.
It seems the new digital junk meter can't cut the mustard. He advised me to visit customer services tomorrow
with all the info I have plus to take damaged parts as proof. Not expecting much in compensation but I'm going anyway.

I'm in the hole to the tune of about R25,000 and can't work. Springfield Flyer's wings are clipped.
I might have to sell the house and live in a factory if I want to use machines and finish the liner.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2282 on: March 22, 2016, 12:19:15 PM »
But look at all the money THEY saved THEMSELVES.  :roll:  :x Wayno

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2283 on: March 22, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »
Maybe I should be smack dab in the middle of Utah with real people??????.
I'm tired of Africa. :x
Thanks, you made me smile. :cheers:

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2284 on: March 22, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »
That is something that should have never happened, Mike. Such a line voltage droop is inexcusable.

I'd photograph all the burned boards, etc, together with a signed and dated statement by that technician as to his measurements and present it to the appropriate people. In cases like this, their first response is always "no" so you may have to escalate your claim.

My heart goes out to you, buddy.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2285 on: March 22, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
Mike, I have a hard time telling you how bad I feel for you.

Let's look into a brighter future in your shop.  Is the power feed single or three-phase?  With the kind of loads you're presenting to the line -- maybe single-phase can't handle the big jumps in load.  Not that converting to multi-phase is easy or cheap -- but if you are forced into replacing the equipment and they're paying -- hey -- go for the big time stuff.

I know -- hindsight can be wonderfully acute.  But when I built the medical waste building all those years ago I saved a few bucks by buying used 3-phase stuff - 'cause most home shops didn't have the right power available.

Neil, am I right in thinking that multi-phase might be a big help?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2286 on: March 22, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »
Thanks guys. To be brutally honest I have three friends locally and although they are great they don't help on my liner.
My true racing buddies are you guys and we've never met. My project is all about what you guys advise me on.
When I joined the forum I knew squat but over the last while I've learned a great deal. You all contributed. I'm just some dude from Africa with a dream and yet I'm treated like family. That says a lot about the American people and I love you all.
This problem is all about $$$$$. Some bean counter figured he could save/make money with this system but there was zero research.
The average home owner doesn't use a welder, compressor or plasma cutter but there are a few big retail outlets that market these products.
I'm contacting all concerned and will make sure they know that their clients will be "bitching" and blaming them for equipment failures.
I'm connected mostly through sponsors but also have other avenues. This thing isn't going to go away. I've got nothing to lose.
I can't afford to go the 3 phase route and shouldn't have to. The other system was fine until they changed it.
Watch this space. I'm just getting started. Opening salvo is tomorrow. Aim small, miss small. They will never beat me.
I've got a car to build and won't be stopped. Just another chapter in the book I'm going to write.
This roller coaster is the real deal and you want to ride it just once. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2287 on: March 22, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
One idea. What if they put the old unit back and you read it every month so they don't have to hire back the meter readers. They could "spot check" on occasion if they don't trust you.  :roll: Wayno

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2288 on: March 22, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »
Jon;

Yes, three-phase AC power is more efficient- if it is available.

Mike, hang in there, document everything, and be persistent!

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2289 on: March 22, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that Mike. "Run to fail" and "barely adequate" are how the power and phone systems run here and we're supposed to be First World.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline salt27

« Reply #2290 on: March 22, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »
Mike, what amperage is your main service panel rated at?

A meter should not effect your voltage or amperage (they are just a jumper that measures the current flow) it doesn't mater if they are mechanical or digital.
(unless the meter is defective or not properly installed)

These are the things I would check.

The meterbase jaws (check for corrosion and if they have lost their tension, also signs of heat)

All wire connections for corrosion and tightness  (including the ones on the mast)

A faulty connection will read normal voltage with out load but reduced voltage under load.

If you lose the neutral it can cause the voltage to double at some devices.

Please have a qualified person check this out, it can be dangerous.

All this said, I don't know squat about the electrical system in Africa.

I hope this helps, Don

Offline salt27

« Reply #2291 on: March 22, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »
I forgot to mention spikes caused by lightning and or substation failures.

We suffered damaged equipment last summer from a lighting strike.

I have also seen damage done by the utility wiring a transformer incorrectly.

I hope you get this sorted.

Don

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2292 on: March 23, 2016, 12:33:22 AM »
Mike, like Don says, there might be issues with the feed from the mains.  Rent some equipment like you had before the disaster and take it to one of your friend's houses nearby and see if the same problem happens at his place.  If it works there you know the problem is something to do with your house's hookup.  The guys at the welder rental would know, too, if there were citywide problems with the new meters.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2293 on: March 23, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
In answer to all the above, I was at customer services early this morning.
I was really treated well and the lady was super helpful.
It turns out that the crew of "liars" that fitted the new system were contractors on commission.
We weren't obliged to accept the new smart meter. It looks like they're going to reinstall the original
good old war horse unit. :cheers:
We'll have to wait and see. I was given a claim form to fill out and I'll hand it back once I get invoices
from the compressor motor guy, welding machine and plasma cutter supplier. I've also got all the receipts
from the new parts I bought for the "fried" second compressor motor.

I now have two mig torches. There wasn't anything wrong with the old one. I'll let you guys know how it goes
and thanks for all the advice and concern. I know who my mates are. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Just another chapter in this crazy ride and I was even offered a space at a facility in Utah!!!!. Tempting stuff.
Do you guys in the US accept hard working immigrants with 5 Jack Russels and a half built liner???
How I've changed!!!. I was ready to box this morning but eventually had no reason. You can't fight people
when they're keen to help. I'll be OK but the boredom is killing me. Guess I'll have to hold my breath and work with resins. :evil:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2294 on: March 23, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D  What I read yesterday left me speechless and down---glad to know you got up and out to the customer service office---keep on trucking.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!