Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1460247 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2250 on: March 15, 2016, 12:42:17 AM »
Thank you Rex. :cheers:
I was worried about the weld cracking due to the thickness of the part and the guys that suggested I not use the torch
to preheat the parts put me off in a way. I checked and I have 308 filler rods????.
I do chill the male part before pressing it into place but I was going to have the spindle made with the OD the same size as
the ID on the upright. Thanks for the heads up on the oversize dimensions.
What's the advantage of boring the spindles?.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2251 on: March 15, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
Mike, There is no real need to bore the spindle, I figured you would do it just for weight as it look to be fairly large in diameter. Solid is fine, I suggested the not boring completely through because when you shrink the a hollow spindle into a part the spindle will shrink somewhat because of the shrinking of the housing and if you don't drill the spindle completely through the back part that is not drilled will work almost like retaining ring in that it will not shrink like the rest of the spindle which makes it fit tighter and retain the spindle better. Remember we are only talking a few tenths here but it will definitely make the spindle more secure. Maybe you should show is what your spindle design is and then we can comment some more.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2252 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:23 AM »
Thank you Rex. I've taken all your advice and will use it. :cheers:

The front spindles are complicated from my point of view.
There are a myriad of questions I have concerning the design.
The first issue is that once complete I'd like both wheels in line.
I'm not sure if they need to be offset?. I not working blind because
all of you on the forum steer me in the right direction and I get regular
emails from Tom Burkland. He's my mentor. That's my feeling.

I don't do anything not related to composites without the "official'' go ahead from the forum.
The spindles are a rough sketch at present but I do have the bearings. Schaeffler (FAG)SA
brought in bearings from Germany that will do the job speed and load wise but I chose to go
with the same dimensions on both inner and outer as opposed to the OEM Ford design where
as you know the outer bearing is smaller.
The spindle design is fairly simple. It has the two steps that fit inside the uprights, a small flange and then the shaft
with the threaded end.
I'm not 100% sure on the shaft length because there are two unknowns.
When we machine the hubs i'm not sure where to put the flange in relation to the wheel offset?.
We obviously want as little load on the spindle as we can get away with.
Second issue is that I don't have tires I can fit on the wheels. I need to make sure that at full lock
they don't get near the swing arms in spite of the small steering angle and growth.
I'll post dimensions on wheel offset later.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2253 on: March 16, 2016, 05:44:33 AM »
This Roller Coaster i'm on beats anything "Six Flags" has to offer!!!.
I know you all have your own projects but this experience is from outer space.
Without going into detail, one day we eat turkey and the next day we eat feathers.
Today is turkey day. :-D

I just hope life won't get boring once the liner's a runner. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2254 on: March 16, 2016, 03:16:21 PM »
Ye olde Roller Coaster is running well. She giveth and she taketh. :-D :-D :-D

Upside. Got the title for my Harley today so now I can assemble the bobber and sell it.
           Bosch want to know what Lamda sensors I need. On this I'm a newbie so I don't know
           what to ask for. I know I need a wide band 02 sensor for Alcohol and EGT sensors x 8 I think???.
           The catalog just shows 100s of part nos so I don't know which is the correct one.
           Got some spending money and 3 new sponsors. Mig, Tig torches and tungsten electrodes.
           High quality SSteel hose clamps. Work boots and shoes with good toe caps. The ones I currently use
           are killing me. :evil:

Downside. Bosch HQ would not release the racing ECU to the SA branch under any circumstances.
               I might be getting a Fueltech system if I get very lucky. This might be a blessing because my
               turbo/electronics guys know the system well.
               Prayer is still the breakfast of champions so I'm going to overeat until I get what I need. :cheers:

January and February are slow months work wise and out of nowhere I'm getting too much, not that I'm complaining. :wink:
All in all not too bad here. The earnings go into the abyss (liner). "Bridge Burner" out.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2255 on: March 16, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
Ask the turbo guy what sensors he likes
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2256 on: March 17, 2016, 12:57:47 AM »
You're right John, that's what I have to do. :cheers:
I'll let you know what happens.
Knowledge is key and i'm in the dark here.
This new technology is a bridge too far.
Thanks for that email and I'll take your advice.

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #2257 on: March 17, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »
Ye olde Roller Coaster is running well. She giveth and she taketh. :-D :-D :-D

Upside. Got the title for my Harley today so now I can assemble the bobber and sell it.
           Bosch want to know what Lamda sensors I need. On this I'm a newbie so I don't know
           what to ask for. I know I need a wide band 02 sensor for Alcohol and EGT sensors x 8 I think???.
           The catalog just shows 100s of part nos so I don't know which is the correct one.
           Got some spending money and 3 new sponsors. Mig, Tig torches and tungsten electrodes.
           High quality SSteel hose clamps. Work boots and shoes with good toe caps. The ones I currently use
           are killing me. :evil:

Downside. Bosch HQ would not release the racing ECU to the SA branch under any circumstances.
               I might be getting a Fueltech system if I get very lucky. This might be a blessing because my
               turbo/electronics guys know the system well.
               Prayer is still the breakfast of champions so I'm going to overeat until I get what I need. :cheers:

January and February are slow months work wise and out of nowhere I'm getting too much, not that I'm complaining. :wink:
All in all not too bad here. The earnings go into the abyss (liner). "Bridge Burner" out.

once you figure out the ECU you are going to use just get the sensor that works with the ECU
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2258 on: March 17, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
Thanks Rick. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I'm leaving all that trick stuff to my turbo guys.
We're going to go with the Fueltech FT500 Lite.
Kyle and Nassen have extensive experience with the system.
Kyle has a journal with all the info including part numbers for
the Bosch sensors and he's going to look for them tonight.
He's too busy during the day. He did say I need 2 x wide band 02 Alcohol compatible sensors
and 8 x EGT heated. The Bosch guys here can't advise because their knowledge is all OEM.
I'll have all the info by Monday.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2259 on: March 17, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
Try to get spares if Bosch is supplying. If the sensors are used in OEM, try to make a list so when you are at Bonneville and an O2 wide band dies, You can tell the auto parts guy you need one for a 2016 Corvette or what ever it is used on.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2260 on: March 17, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
Will do. Maybe I should ask for spares anyway.
I learned something from Kyle today. He's got a journal with every
single thing he's done on the dyno, what parts he's used and their numbers.
I'm going to do the same.
I'll be building the motor and fitting all parts but after that it's off to Kyle and Nassen
for the EFI and ECU. Like I said before I don't know squat about these systems and although
I'm a sponge for knowledge it's not my thing. I can do the other stuff. :cheers:

You guys always come through for me and the day the record falls (I've got that huge US flag Buddy Walker sent me)
by the time the crew arrives the flag will be draped over the liner. It will be in the cockpit under my legs on every run.
It will probably cause a stir here but if you think about it it's an American project built in SA. :wink: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I've come a long way and it's all down to friends, advisers and mentors on our forum. Thanks for getting me this far.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2261 on: March 18, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »

I learned something from Kyle today. He's got a journal with every
single thing he's done on the dyno, what parts he's used and their numbers.
I'm going to do the same.

I'll be building the motor and fitting all parts but after that it's off to Kyle and Nassen

Mike,

If you are unable to keep an "electronic logbook" on a lap top, buy a spiral bound notebook with indexed sections.    Write down all your part #'s, assembly dimensions, etc, etc.  Have sections for parts descriptions; cylinder head notes; short block notes; accessories; ie: ANY and EVERYTHING.

BTW: Performance Trends sells "Engine Logbook" software.    It is what I use.    You can build pages in Excel or whatever spreadsheet or database software you want to use to do the same thing.

At ANY age, it is foolish to trust important details to memory.   You want to be able to open your "book" and provide a part # or specification for anything you might need to replace or answer ANY question about the build.   Like: What are the cam specs and where is the cam timed?   You would be surprised how many of my new clients can not answer these "simple" questions at a dyno session.    Notes on dyno sessions go into the "book", OR, have their own "book".

I have a handwritten spiral notebook I use "in the moment".    It all goes onto my laptop that evening.   YES, it is a LOT OF WORK.

One of my sayings:   "Success is always more work up front.   But the sweet taste of success makes up for it in the long run."    Ask anybody with a record.

Information based decision making can only happen when you have: "the information".     Make sure you are one of the guys who: "Gets it"

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2262 on: March 18, 2016, 09:47:11 AM »
That must be the best advice ever given on the forum. :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks so much Mark. :wink:
I'll do just that. I'm going to use a book/journal because I don't own a laptop yet.
I could have a hand me down soon though.  
A journal suits me because I can write info and like Kyle does, he keeps all the leaflets that come with
products stapled to that specific page. He's got so much he needs three books and he'll be hunting info for
me this long weekend.

BTW, I found a cam but it's not suitable for what I need and has a slightly rusted journal???. It might clean up.
Dave Crower designed me a cam based on the motor info I sent him but I'll order it last
just in case we change components. His comment was that I didn't need a "big" cam for the
Cleveland because they breathe so well.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2263 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »
Mike,

or for that matter, any "engine guy" reading along,

Go to the Performance Trends web site for Engine Build Log Book:

http://performancetrends.com/Engine_Log_Book_v1.htm

You don't need all the information that their program can store.    But perhaps you might want to emulate that format in your notes, Excel pages, etc.     Good organization is the key to finding your info, socks, spares, whatever.

Now having said that, DO NOT RIP OFF THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!!!    If you want or need their product, pay the fee/cost to purchase, and use it.

As simple, and as dumb as this sounds, good development relies on the information required to NOT make the same mistakes/errors, repeatedly.   You would be surprised how many "engine professionals" DO NOT understand this concept.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2264 on: March 18, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
Mike--back to the frt wheel off set---To be a "legal car" and not a trike the "inlines" have to be offset a measureable "slightly"---- to  be a legal car.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!