Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459515 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
I have a situation here that I think you guys could advise on.

I'm based in South Africa as you know. There are international companies with agencies here. Obviously people and product differ.

My first sponsor for my LSR project was 3M South Africa. No money involved but I was promised 100% support on aerospace Epoxy adhesives, tapes and spray adhesives.

There is a limited amount one can use on a car so I haven't been greedy.

I had to sign a disclaimer attached to the agreement to the effect that 3M would not be responsible for any untoward problems, failures related to LSR and their product. They gave me the decals and sew on patches I asked for and all was fine.

A new MD took over and things changed. My liason stopped answering my email, phone calls and visits. I was left in reception for an hour waiting for attention.

I wrote to 3M HQ in the States complaining about the service and within 2 hours I had a response. They would pass on the info to 3M SA. After two weeks I get a short email from the assistant to the MD saying she is aware of my complaint but needed more detail.

I complied but still nothing happened so I write back and the story is that they had dignitaries from overseas and have been too busy.

Today I get email saying that the MD says he's not offering sponsorship at this time. Bear in mind I have a signed sponsorship agreement in my posession. It's not about product but about ethics. What should I do?. :?

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
Thats a huge bummer...

Keep trying to push, you have proof of an established sponsorship.

Or, find another company that offers similar products (i know, very hard to come by due to 3M buying all of them) and shoot for a sponsorship with them.

Carry all the 3m propaganda back into the office and dump it on his desk after you do.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »
To be perfectly honest I'm surprised at the amount of sponsorship you seem to be able to raise. My inclination would be to back off and keep track of what's going on within the company. Executives often change and the opportunity may come up again in the future. In the meantime you may be able to get a lower level of help by working with a local rep. Don't go burning a bridge because you feel let down at the moment.

Sponsorships are generally raised through personal relationships and are often lost through a change in management. Not every manager is a fan of speed and racing. Look for other help in the same field but it's difficult to replace a company like 3M. If you take a combative attitude in this you're liable to annoy the person who might help you next, so stick to negotiation.

Pete

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
If you get another sponsor, put a small 3M decal right next to theirs with red circle around it with a red line through it.
It would be an interesting talking point and let you vent to anyone who asked. Good negative publicity, especially when you go fast.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
That's completely wrong. I would escalate it by writing to the Executive VP of Marketing Ian Hardgroveand and cc the CEO Inge Thulin. To make sure you get it in their hands don't type  the letter, but hand write it and mail it.   Its more personal and will make it past the secretary. Believe me  the sh** will hit the fan and your unit MD.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
That's completely wrong. I would escalate it by writing to the Executive VP of Marketing Ian Hardgroveand and cc the CEO Inge Thulin. To make sure you get it in their hands don't type  the letter, but hand write it and mail it.   Its more personal and will make it past the secretary. Believe me  the sh** will hit the fan and your unit MD.  Tony

In this case I'd probably defer to Tony as he's probably had a lot more to do with 3M and their direct involvement in racing. They tend to be very active in the field.

Pete

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »
To be perfectly honest I'm surprised at the amount of sponsorship you seem to be able to raise. My inclination would be to back off and keep track of what's going on within the company. Executives often change and the opportunity may come up again in the future. In the meantime you may be able to get a lower level of help by working with a local rep. Don't go burning a bridge because you feel let down at the moment.

Sponsorships are generally raised through personal relationships and are often lost through a change in management. Not every manager is a fan of speed and racing. Look for other help in the same field but it's difficult to replace a company like 3M. If you take a combative attitude in this you're liable to annoy the person who might help you next, so stick to negotiation.

Pete

In another life I managed motorsports marketing for the largest private distributor of Toyota vehicles and parts in the US. I have seen racers handle sponsorship turn downs in many ways. Let me say as directly as I can, like Peter Jack said, do not burn bridges. Your situation is likely caused by an internal management change at 3M. The guy that signed your deal with you has probably been over ruled and is embarrassed as heck. Even in the car business VP's would be over me that hated motorsports and thought stick and ball sports were the only way to market cars. 

The other thing is if you voice your dissatisfaction in a public or flamboyant way the word will get out. Marketing mangers move from company to company, the person you crossed up with at X company is now working at Y company. You could need Y company in the future. The best thing to do is to send them a polite letter explaining that you are ready, willing and able to uphold your end of the sponsorship agreement but that there seems to be a change of direction at the company. If that be the case then please notify me in writing releasing me of the obligations for the sponsorship. Offer a hopeful statement that you can both work together in the future and let them know you are willing to help them in any way you can. The other option is to state you understand but remain loyal and will promote their products even with out the sponsorship side of the agreement. Sometimes loyalty is rewarded. If you are a hot head the word will get around.

I had a guy we helped in import drag racing and when he moved to NHRA pro stock he ran Toyota Truck decals even though at the time Toyota was only involved with Alan Johnson and Gary Selzi and their fuel funny car. Matt told me if it were not for Toyota helping him in the beginning he would not be racing at the pro level. He still talks with the Toyota people regularly and who knows, some day that loyalty might pay big dividends.

Stay positive and good things happen, dwell on the negative and that is what you  will train your eyes to see.

You have a great build going, I am impressed with the speed that you are making progress.

My 2 cents.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
But now that I read Tony's post he makes a good point.

Good luck,

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
BR, well said. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Just to add to it, like others have said don't be combative, just show your disappointment and talk on their level.  A few months ago a friend of mine had a Toyota Prius that needed a new electric system.  The dealer kept blaming  the towing company and everyone ells and gave him the run around for about four months.  We wrote a letter to both the North American and Japan CEO's and low and behold it got fixed in hurry with an apology.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline tauruck

« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »
You all make good points and this is proof I can count on you guys. 100% friends. I used to be a hot head and that developed over time into sarcasm.

I still have to bite my tongue and keep away from the keyboard. I never made any waves but called the guy who was with 3M until the new MD took over. He told me that the new guy sent down a directive to cease the support. My liason didn't have the guts to tell me so he thought by ignoring me I'd just give up and disappear.

The thing is that I do have a signed document and boxes of product. I don't really need any more tape or adhesives so I'm thinking I should just carry on as I have been. Put the patches on the suit, decals on the car etc and concentrate on building and running the car.

If things carry on happening as they have been then the right guys will see the project and whatever happens from there on in is bonus.

The passion I have for this game does cloud the judgement and I honestly can't handle the rejection. When a potential sponsor says no it cuts deep but my batting average is excellent. I have 24 local and five US based sponsors so far.
I only approached companies I respected. I knew the product, it was good and I asked.

God works in mysterious ways. After the 3M upset I landed a huge deal with the biggest Aluminum foundry/producer in Africa. The guy is giving me 6 billets to make wheels from. He emailed later and asked what it would take to brand the whole car. I said he could have any area above the belt line but not the vertical stabilizer. He wanted to supply sheeets of Ally to build body work from but I'm not greedy so I settled for some round bar I could use.

This is going to be big. Then two reps from a company called WIKA turned up. They are going to supply temperature sensors and digital readouts for the whole car. The two are gearheads and asked to be crew members. How could I say no.

My Carbon guy sends me email to say that the German HQ has material that they say is past it's sell by date. The airplane manufacturers can't use it and do I want it???.

No bull. What started out as a nightmare turned into some heck of a day. I'm scared to open email right now. You couldn't make this stuff up. I'm in shock and I thank the Lord for carrying me. This is all a bit too much right now. I never got any work done today but hey there's tomorrow.

The best move I've made in a long time was joining this forum. You guys have motivated me from day one. Thanks so much. I won't let you down.

Offline Tman

« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
When it rains, it pours. Good luck.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »
Christmas came early this year.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
Good for you Mike, Keep the focus and keep the faith. :cheers: The folk on this site are a rare breed. Competitive and giving, ya gotta love em. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
Mike,
Great news. I am glad you have new support to replace the 3M deal.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM