Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1459409 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #1185 on: December 11, 2014, 05:41:56 AM »
Thanks Sid.
I always learn a lot from you. :cheers:

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #1186 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
"It takes a lot of very clever people to build a long car and I've been blessed with so many.
You won't get this sort of help in any other form of motorsport, that I can guarantee." :)
That is a great quote and so very true!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1187 on: December 11, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
Yep, LSR the friendly place to race.
I just want to share the knowledge before they eventually burn down my library. :mrgreen:
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1188 on: December 11, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
Sid, if I don't get this thing done by next winter (your's) I'd like to come hang out
with you before I go insane. :evil:

I'm on the ropes and the legs are like rubber.

If they made a video of my "stupidity" today Youtube would have shut down from over use. :cheers:

You were 100% right about using jacks etc.
The support bars were a bust. I wasn't crazy about the set up and then Tom Burkland emailed me.
Between Tom and Sid's sage advice I need to rethink and design a better system.

The parts I made are junk and more than ever I wish I lived in Lava Hot Springs or Ogden, Utah. :oops:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1189 on: December 11, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
You need a really stiff chassis on a long car to prevent chassis oscillations & the faster it goes the more important it becomes. Torsional rigity also needs to be addressed if you don't want to be chasing it around out there.
Dont be afraid to ask for advice from multipul people & decide from that what makes more sence to you, nobody know's everything. This goes for everybody not just Mike.
There are a bunch of different ways to float a boat so to speak but some of them will get you drowned.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1190 on: December 12, 2014, 02:23:44 AM »
Sid, I have a couple of ideas in mind.
This looks like nothing more than a few bars with ends on them
but as you pointed out in your first reply it gets complicated.

I'm going to walk away from it for now. Rushing only ever gets me into trouble.

What happens in my case is that I work on the liner non stop and get into a situation where things just flow
and one part just flows into the next. I'm in the groove and it all seems to come naturally.

I had to do "work" for customers and then thought I'd just do a few hours on the car???????.

Big mistake. :evil:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1191 on: December 12, 2014, 06:28:49 AM »
These "long things" are Very much subjects of gravity and thermal inputs! 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1192 on: December 12, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
Sid, I have a couple of ideas in mind.
This looks like nothing more than a few bars with ends on them
but as you pointed out in your first reply it gets complicated.

I'm going to walk away from it for now. Rushing only ever gets me into trouble.

What happens in my case is that I work on the liner non stop and get into a situation where things just flow
and one part just flows into the next. I'm in the groove and it all seems to come naturally.

I had to do "work" for customers and then thought I'd just do a few hours on the car???????.

Big mistake. :evil:
Thats the way Mate, take a break & think it through, you're no dummy it'll come to you.
  Sid.

Offline Riaan Lingenfelder

Re:
« Reply #1193 on: December 12, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Sid.  And others
All you guys helping and advising Mike do not know how much impact you have on this build. I have the fortune to sit with him and chat every now and then. His strength and inspiration comes from the forum. The advise the chats. Its like making a (south african brew) potjie kos (pot stew). All ingredients come from you guys and experience.
Keep motivating and inspiring. 
Thank you......

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1194 on: December 12, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
Mike
Cheer up. I don't know if you did or are following the Target 550 build. There have been numerous changes, redesigns or modifications over the course of the build because something didn't work right or was in the way, etc, etc. This car is being built by the best minds and fabricators on the planet and they don't always get it right. When you are building anything one off, problems can be expected.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1195 on: December 12, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »
Changes are never ending. On both Vesco streamliners there are constant upgrades, additions and redo's. The note books are full of notes and pictures.Even though it's off season things just pop up. Anyway there are a lot of neat projects going on around the world and we can follow on the internet and all of us learn from it. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1196 on: December 12, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »
You can buy or build something like these ideas, then use an adjustable heim or clevis on the other side.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1197 on: December 12, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
Guys, thanks so much for all the great advice. :cheers:

Michael, The fittings are exactly what I need. My clevis' are similar but the others will do the job.
I'll get to Geraldo and ask him to machine a couple of sets.

A while back I went through a similar situation with the front end and it drove me nuts for months.

These braces are just a couple of "no brainer" bars, right?.
You figure you'll just fry on a couple of female clevis', a brace here and there and be done with it. :evil:
They are kind of the last pieces in the puzzle!!!!.

They interfere with everything good on the car. The air inlets, the plenum chamber and a bunch of other components.
Talk about painting yourself into a corner?.

I thought I could space the bars wider where they connect at the rearward part of the chassis to give
me room for the air box/plenum but the turbos are right there.

Much better, more intelligent guys than me have been through this so I don't feel too bad.

This is where being in Africa is a big problem. If I was US based I know one of you would have a look
and come up with a solution.
I suppose it will just click soon. :-D

Without the forum and all you guys we'd be in serious Doo Doo. :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1198 on: December 13, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »
If it was easy everybody would be doin it!
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1199 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »
Mike,
If you really want to improve your frame's stiffness then I would highly recommend that your add some sort of diagonal tube in the open bay of the frame just behind the fire wall. I have attached a pic of the area. If you need to have access to this area then you would need to make the diagonal tube removable. Check the "Target 550" build to see how they did it.

Regarding your "curtain hanger" bars that you have added, remember that because they are so long they will not have much effect in increasing frame stiffness in the vertical down load direction as they are in compression and with them being so long they will not provide much help in this direction although they will help in the vertical up loaded condition when they are in tension.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.