Bonneville Salt Flats Discussion > Build Diaries

Springfield Flyer.

(1/764) > >>

tauruck:
Guys, I've tried to start this thread five times but when trying to attach the images of the liner chassis I get an error message saying that I've already posted them and when I go back the copy is gone.
          The long car is 33ft long and will be very similar to the Maro Special. I named it the Springfield Flyer after the suburb I grew up in. I'll shoot pics of the progress this weekend and retry posting.

tauruck:
Here goes. The chassis on the table.

tauruck:
Seems to be working now. I got a great deal on tubing. I tried to get the supplier to sponsor the material but ended up paying cost plus delivery. The tubing is not a standard stock item so the stuff arrived in batches of five or six lengths. I found a new company to do the bending for me and for all the work he charged me a whopping $75 to collect and turn out components with a 3mm tolerance. I waited two months but it was worth it. The work is spot on.

tauruck:
Things are really taking off with this build. I wanted to use plummer blocks for the front and rear suspension so I got in touch with my rod end sponsor but the company changed ownership since the original deal was struck (years ago) and it took some serious work with the new management to put a new one together. It panned out better than expected. Schaeffler (Fag and Ina bearings) are on board and will cover my needs. I've got the reps from Boys Town coming over at ten this morning to discuss a training programme where I'll be involved in getting young guys working with their hands and hopefully give them a chance at finding jobs in the auto industry.
I was going to tig weld the chassis but we couldn't get Argon here for a month so I had to go with mig.
       The chassis is on the table and I'm tacking all the triangulation components. My original plasma cutter had been giving trouble from day one (2008) and if I've used it for a full day since then it'd be a lot. My supplier Guido replaced the thing six or seven times but it just blew. He gave me a brand new machine without an internal compressor and is also built by the same company that makes my welding machines. It's perfect. I have about 74 pipes to fish mouth and have done only 20 or so. Also wrecked a fair few of the weird angled variety.

tauruck:
Long way to go but it's coming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version