Author Topic: SUV Classification  (Read 9560 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
SUV Classification
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 10:44:47 PM »
Quote from: deftrip
Well ddahlgren you might be right,but if I run in modified which means an engine swap for my ride,due to the record in that class(about 225 mph)that the amount of mods that I would have to get including safety gear etc. it would cost so much more.If I run in production which means using the stock engine I wouldnt need a whole lot but then that means when I decide to swap the engine I would have to upgrade everything to meet the requirments which would end up costing more.What a dilema!!

I think what he is saying is that if you want to race it is time for a "whole new (old)" vehicle.  Forget about the one you have now :D .  

Why pour money into something that will never go fast (I hate to say that as now you will probably be more determined than ever so you can prove me wrong :wink: ) and no one else will ever want to buy.  If you are really attached to it and want to see how fast it will go run in Sept. or for "time only".

Have fun whatever you do,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Why build a Monza ?
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 04:12:23 AM »
Quote from: ddahlgren
Here is a little racing tip..

For the bow tie folks why build a Camero when a Monza is in the same class???

Dave

Why build a Monza when the Buick version gets through the air better and they are cheap ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

deftrip

SUV Classification
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 06:42:09 AM »
Actually buying a "whole new (old) vehicle" was my original plan but I thought that would be more money.I just thought since I have a vehicle allready why not just use that one.Obviously I have a slew of options.Everything is still in the planning stages right now and I really appreciate all the ideas everybody is offering.Since money is really scarce for me right now I have to really think this out cuz I have the feeling that when I race once I will definitely get the old "salt fever".For now I'm just planning on going to the races this year just to watch.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
SUV Classification
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 08:19:50 AM »
Do the math up front and you might find it way cheaper to start some oher place. Oh and don't let production fool you too much not many stock engines there. No engine swap is allowed but I am reasonably certain a slightly vintage Winson cup engine with 23 degree heads would not be swap so you can easily get into a 20k+ 600 hp plus engine in 'production'. Also if it is EFI most stock computers can be reprogrammed quite easily now as well. So i would not equate production with inexpensive. If done right probably costs more not less to go a similar speed.
Dave

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FREE IS PRETTY CHEAP TO START.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 11:24:26 AM »
An 86 Mazda RX-7 with a rotary engine is now 20 years old but is a good aero package that will fit a lot of engines. They are getting to the age where the engines expire and many are not rebuilt. The owners tend to take better care of them cosmetically so they can be in pretty fair shape for being that old.
If you have more time than money, you can scratch around and get one for the cost of towing it away.
I just hustled one up for a High School LSR project and you know about their available money.
What part of the country are you in?
There might even be a club for that kind of car in your area and they might be interested to make it a club project for you to drive and that would open up a lot of doors for cheap.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Cheap start
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »
If I remember correctly, the Waddell Brothers at Maxton have more than the original motor in this car.  it is an old RX-7, right?  I think that one of the fellows got into the ECTA Two Club in the car last year -- so yes, there's lots of potential in the shape.

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=20
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
MAN OH MAN
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 12:18:55 PM »
Now see I would have nicknamed those two "The Wadell Bros." just for fun.
But you know if you look at the size and lines of their car, they are pretty well together.

Ben, do you have any kid drivers that big ?
You may have to go to the football team to recruit a "Hood Holder at Large" to match them.

deftrip

SUV Classification
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 01:08:42 AM »
you guys are definitely right. I briefly searched online and found cars that are much more ready than mine is.With a little determination and work i could get a car race ready for alot less than it would be to fix mine.

Offline jimmy six

SUV Classification
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 01:35:08 AM »
A Full Size SUV class and a Mid Mini SUV class will be added right after the "propster" class (only those with pond racer preops of course)... :twisted:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro