Author Topic: SUV Classification  (Read 9559 times)

deftrip

SUV Classification
« on: June 24, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »
Please be gentle guys I'm a newbie....ouch! I'm interested in competing one day and I'm unsure what class would a S-10 Blazer fall into.I've read the rule book cover to cover and still can't find where it would be classified.Both modified and production truck classes states it must have a "full stock bed".Obviously a S-10 Blazer does not have a bed.I'm stumped.Any help would be appreciated thanks. Whew!! that wasn't to bad.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
SUV Classification
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
Most of them are classified as push trucks.  You may have found a machine that defies classification.  Although I think the car guys are better at figuring out how to classify a machine.  I wouldn't recommend entering it as a GT though.  I would definitely contact the SCTA and let them make the decision.  Good luck.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline jimmy six

SUV Classification
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:04:36 PM »
My guess would be is the same as any passenger car...........Dan?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

deftrip

SUV Classification
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 03:50:44 AM »
Well the closest class I can find would be gas coupe in the modified class which a generic requirement is "suitable seating for four adults" but it doesnt seem very fair to run a S-10 Blazer which is basically a box on wheels against cars that are running 225 mph plus.I have to agree with Nortonist 592, I may have found something not classified yet.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
SUV Classification
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 12:29:39 PM »
Quote from: deftrip
.........but it doesn't seem very fair to run a S-10 Blazer which is basically a box on wheels against cars that are running 225 mph plus...............

I can see it now AA/BFSUV :wink: .

Are you actually looking for a class where you can compete against other entrants with the hope of a record or do you just want to see how fast you can go?

You can always run for "time only" as long as you meet the safety requirements.  I hope to run my pickup some day, but don't expect them to create a class for it.

Take the seats out, put in a cage and belts, buy the rest of the safety equipment and see how fast it will go :D .

c ya, Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
SUV
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
You don't say what venue you want to run at. Does the car have all of the safety equipment necessary to run under SCTA/BNI, ECTA and USFRA rules. Where do you live etc. so others can help you withyour idea,
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

deftrip

SUV Classification
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 02:59:24 PM »
Hmmm....AA/BFSUV..I like the sound of that but anyways the Blazer has nothing at all just my dreams in it. I'd like to run at a SCTA-BNI venue but you guys are I'd just like to see how fast I can go.I also tought of running at the Texas Mile just for fun but I live in nothern Colorado so I'm actually closer to the salt flats.[/quote]

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
SUV Classification
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »
Quote from: deftrip
Hmmm....AA/BFSUV..I like the sound of that but anyways the Blazer has nothing at all just my dreams in it. I'd like to run at a SCTA-BNI venue but you guys are I'd just like to see how fast I can go.I also tought of running at the Texas Mile just for fun but I live in nothern Colorado so I'm actually closer to the salt flats.
[/quote]

Easiest, cheapest way to do what you want is go in Sept. to the USFRA (  http://www.saltflats.com/  ) meet and run in the 130 mph class.

c ya, Sum

LittleLiner

SUV Classification
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 09:15:24 PM »
I'd bet it would be classified in one of the coupe and sedan categories.   If that turns out to be correct and you run an engine that was OEM it would put you in Production.  An engine swap or supercharger or Quick Change would put you in Gas Coupe.  Make some mods to the body or set the engine back far enough and you run in altered.  Anything (well almost anything) beyound that would put you in Comp Coupe.

I suggest the longer tow to Texas since you will find shorter lines and a shot at makeing more runs.  Then depending on how that works out you could consider Bonneville.

In anycase starting with an S10 Blazer is not the optimum choice since you will be facing firebirds, camaros, and other sleeker cars.  Of course you could lay claim to the fastest SUV even though there is no such class.

Closest thing I've seen to a racing LSR SUV was the GM HHR.  It ran as a Competition Coupe  (G/BFCC)

dwarner

SUV Classification
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
The S-10 and it's fellows will have to run as any coupe or sedan. The level of modification will determine what exact class it will run. Take the hint and go to the USFRA 130/150 club events during the World of Speed in Sept.

It may not seem fair to classify a SUV type with all other coupes and sedans but, we give you parameters to build in - the choice of platform is yours.

DW

Offline Stan Back

SUV Classification
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »
But what if they put the engine in the back, couldn't you create a new class for that?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

SUV Classification
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 02:50:59 PM »
They could Stan Back of the the line.

Keeper of the entries - tell Ed to post 'em on the SCTA-BNI website.

DW

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
SUV Classification
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 06:23:06 AM »
Here is a little racing tip.. Sometimes what you already own is not the cheapest way to get where you want to be..

Next might be never pick anything bigger than it needs to be. Some very small 'bricks' go a lot faster than very large 'arrows'..

For the bow tie folks why build a Camero when a Monza is in the same class???

Dave

dwarner

SUV Classification
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 09:06:24 AM »
Dave,

Thats pretty astute for a non-smoker.

DW

deftrip

SUV Classification
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 08:34:22 PM »
Well ddahlgren you might be right,but if I run in modified which means an engine swap for my ride,due to the record in that class(about 225 mph)that the amount of mods that I would have to get including safety gear etc. it would cost so much more.If I run in production which means using the stock engine I wouldnt need a whole lot but then that means when I decide to swap the engine I would have to upgrade everything to meet the requirments which would end up costing more.What a dilema!!