Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259639 times)

Offline ack

Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2013, 02:17:17 AM »
Here is an option / invitation,for all the shootout racers (and all others), Come down to the DLRA Speedweek . End of February 2014.I have spoken to Ron Main , and Rick Vesco about our lake , The Ack Attack team has run here before (and many years ago we had a large contingent of USA racers attend,including Al Teague).

There is some talk (more a rumour),that one of our racers is wanting to hire the lake for the week after Speedweek to run his 'liner, possibly with FIA in attendance.With good salt (heard that before?) we can easily put out an 11 mile course.(Andy Green was out here a few years ago looking at using Lake Gairdner for the Bloodhound, and mapped out three 11 mile tracks).

As many already know , our lake is extremely isolated, and the logistics of just getting there are difficult, but the rewards are many.

So come to Aussie , race on the best salt ,have a short vacation , then head back to get ready for the Bonneville season.

Any questions,,message me or email me at cambridgemotorsport@bigpond.com 

Bob Ellis
DLRA Chief Car Inspector
DLRA 200 Club

+1 you are so right Bob.  It is a wonderful place and it does dry out.  the hospitality is the best, the food at the canteen terrific and the beer and wine are amazing!!!!

Maybe Mike Akatiff will want to go again and take Sam Wheeler and his liner this time to race against!!

How 'bout it Mike??

Interesting idea Dick we could take Denis too the only flaw I see is that Sam would ACTUALLY have to show up.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #421 on: October 12, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
What was it with 2013?  Although I’m not superstitious, I may well be afflicted with triskaidekaphobia after this year!   

We got Speedweek in, but there were about 10 flat spins per day, and a couple that weren’t so flat.   Bub was cut short, and World of Speed and World Finals were completely rained out.   About the only good news was that the injuries sustained weren't life-threatening.

Now, despite the valiant efforts of Mike, Mike Jr., DW, and crew, we’ve lost the Shootout, too.     Obviously, it wasn’t the result of a lack of trying.  So, thanks to all for your outstanding efforts and dedication.

Many thanks to Jon, Nancy, Ray and everyone who contributed to landracing.com, too!

See ya on the Salt in 2014! 
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #422 on: October 12, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »
I made it to Billings, Montana tonight -- and didn't have internet service as I drove, so couldn't tell you that Mike Cook didn't completely give up - even when the Shootout was cancelled.  He found two competitors that were will to run - and called me to tell me so I could relay the word to you.

They were Eva Hakanson and Bob -- Something, in his hot Volkswagen.  I talked with Bob (I think that's his name -- sorry, sir) yesterday and he was telling me about wanting to see if his car - the one he races SCCA - would go 200.  And as for Eva -- Bill Dube and I and Eva talked for a while a couple of times during the past few days, and I know they were anxious to get in some running time for the sidecar electric streamliner.  I don't have speeds for either of them -- nor the number of runs, and so on -- but I do know that Mike wasn't ready to be completely skunked.  More power to you, Mike Cook -- and next year, -- next year,  For Sure!

Another day of driving is coming up for me.  I'll try to check in during the day, but driving across eastern Montana and most of North Dakota doesn't promise much internet service.  C U Later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #423 on: October 13, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »
Have a safe trip home Slim.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #424 on: October 13, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
  I was in Billings yesterday, too. Probably passed you on the way back to Columbus.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #425 on: October 13, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »
Have a safe trip.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #426 on: October 13, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »
Conditions in Wendover and on the salt............................recommend water wings!!!!    :roll:
Stay safe all who are traveling home! 
See you on the salt next year!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #427 on: October 13, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
I made it to Billings, Montana tonight -- and didn't have internet service as I drove, so couldn't tell you that Mike Cook didn't completely give up - even when the Shootout was cancelled.  He found two competitors that were will to run - and called me to tell me so I could relay the word to you.

They were Eva Hakanson and Bob -- Something, in his hot Volkswagen.  I talked with Bob (I think that's his name -- sorry, sir) yesterday and he was telling me about wanting to see if his car - the one he races SCCA - would go 200. 

Didn't John Baechtel say in Reply #362 that no cars would be run?

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #428 on: October 13, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »
I'm thinking those two vehicles could be more like short course runners, unless they got a real long cord for the bike.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline rlague

« Reply #429 on: October 13, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
Conditions in Wendover and on the salt............................recommend water wings!!!!    :roll:
Stay safe all who are traveling home! 
See you on the salt next year!

Lynda

looks like quite a bit of rain over night.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #430 on: October 15, 2013, 04:59:20 AM »
Ray, in response to your question of #427, I did indeed say that no cars would run meaning none of the FIA streamliners would run because the back half of the course was too unstable to support big power. However Richard Holdener showed up after the meet was called with G/BGC late model turbo Volkswagen that was to be driven by Tony Swan who I believe still writes for Car & Driver. Because the car needed less than five miles an agreement was reached for a brief shakedown session and made a run at 165 or so. Eva also made a test run or two with the Killajoule. The front half of the course was okay for speeds under 200 mph and I believe both cars ran well under that in testing. So Mike was able to salvage something out of the whole ordeal.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #431 on: October 15, 2013, 06:46:16 AM »
2Club,

could be that Ray had appreciate it when you had answered his question of #363 right :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:and not waiting to answer #427

Ray, in response to your question of #427, I did indeed say that no cars would run meaning none of the FIA streamliners would run because the back half of the course was too unstable to support big power. However Richard Holdener showed up after the meet was called with G/BGC late model turbo Volkswagen that was to be driven by Tony Swan who I believe still writes for Car & Driver. Because the car needed less than five miles an agreement was reached for a brief shakedown session and made a run at 165 or so. Eva also made a test run or two with the Killajoule. The front half of the course was okay for speeds under 200 mph and I believe both cars ran well under that in testing. So Mike was able to salvage something out of the whole ordeal.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline dw230

« Reply #432 on: October 15, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
#363 was asked on the 8th, the decision had not been made at that date. If you have a burning need to know you may think that "I must be there!"

A reply to John's correction was not required. It is what it is - NO Shootout for 2013. There is no race course to run on.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #433 on: October 15, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
#363 was asked on the 8th, the decision had not been made at that date. If you have a burning need to know you may think that "I must be there!"

DW
It's on my bucket list.  :wink: Wayno

Offline rlague

« Reply #434 on: October 17, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
Any idea what this might be?

http://youtu.be/4dtSwLqHEPs
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series