Author Topic: JCB Diesel streamliner:  (Read 9846 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
JCB Diesel streamliner:
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 08:33:50 PM »
Quote from: landracing
Ok guys we will setup a new thread for quessing the speeds of the JCB Diesel streamliner, winner will win something, and we can all play and have fun at the expense of the brits...

Jon

Is this going to be a Speed Week speed or their ultimate speed if they stick around on private time after Speed Week????  

I vote for a Speed Week speed, because I got a lot of money riding on the fact that you will get to 200 before they get to 300 during Speed Week :wink: .

Sum

landracing

JCB Diesel streamliner:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 08:55:31 PM »
Wow sumner, wow, what are the booky odds right now... I might just have to put all my money on JCB...

I guess if we do it at Speedweek, we should use the Speedweek Speeds. Not private time speeds...

Landracing

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
JCB Diesel streamliner:
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 05:37:48 AM »
althought the present car that holds the BGS record, the car from Washington that is sponsered by the apple grower, and I can't remember his name,

Rex, you mean the Danny Apple Boy....these are good ole friend of mine, I know this car very well - there inlet and "tube" to the engine looks similar but it's not so in the function.....they use a nice trick....I had to smile when I saw it the first time.....

D. Bernoulli still rules this area.

This, when I understood you right, is the rule for closed system.
Here we got a open system - aerodynamic and airflow is very strange - air likes to go the easiest way - if the air is blocked in inlet system ist tries to go otherwise, this means the air goes the way back where it comes from. The picture I saw from the inlet shows a constant cross section from the opening to the engine.......

To the nose - I remember a VW streamliner - I think it was in the seventies - he also used a so high nose - at last......he flips.......alright this diesel locomotive is very heavy and too long may be......

let use see what he does on the great white dyno......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
It's 2 x 750 for HP on the JCB car!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 01:33:24 PM »
Well after reading the article again I finally saw that they are claiming 750 hp for "each" engine so that makes 1500 total and using my formula, that makes the "aero limit" 456 mph. So it would certainly make going deep into the high 300 seem very possible. Again, these guys have never been to the salt and have never ran their setup on the "endless white dyno" so they will probably have lots of "detail" problems and maybe their real goal it to use Speedweek to try to get through these and then turn up the boost and let it happen during their private reserved time.

Sure going to be fun to watch, and interesting as most of the people that are involved have good racing back grounds and have probably "birthed" new cars before and are aware of the problems and pit falls.

I agree we should start a thread on guessing their speed at Speedweek.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.