Author Topic: WEIGHT A MINUTE  (Read 11500 times)

Offline Stan Back

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »
Roadster -- Sent you a Private Message.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 04:05:03 PM »
Roadster -- Sent you a Private Message.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline roadsterswap

weight my final report from the july meet
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 11:32:59 PM »
I built up a box for lead that was secured behind the driver seat the width of the car and just in front of the rear end.  we added about 335 lbs of lead. We shifted some of the weight to the right side of the car.
we were able to get the following readings from the scales:

Total weight now 3355# from 3020#(actually the original weight was without a driver. it was 2803#. I just added 217# for the driver.So the actual pre lead scale weights will not total out correctly if you are trying).

LF 767 pre lead(pl) was 716

Rf 762   pl     was 689

LR 948  pl      was 692

RR 879  pl     was 706

percentages are now:

45.5 % front..........previous  50.1%

54% rear              previous 49.9%

cross  50.9%  (65# difference)  previously was 49.3 %

Drive report: The initial run was very nice. I had two slight let offs but when i felt the car was much more stable I was able to focus on keeping the pedal to the floor (which was my goal, due to the fact that i dont think i had ever touched the floor due to the fear factor of poor handling).

I was able to pull off a  a 168.716 pass. With my speed wheel we were able to see that i was revving the big block to 6k. I knew I was through the pre set 4200 rpm but I did not care. It sounded good and I wanted to keep going.

I would say the handling was much improved. Was it due to the weight? was it due to track conditions? I am not sure. I know the track was nice. I know that it felt more stable.

On the second run i found i crossed the grooves in the track? or I was never in them and got pulled into them. I then hit a nice soft spot and was crossed up pretty good. I think i tried to correct 2 times but decided to pull the chute early. Went through the traps at 120 and change.

The slide felt more controlled.
The front steering felt much more solid.......less drifty or light in the steering wheel.

I would say that it appears to have improved things. This was the best the car had been.

Now that we are at the limits of this combination..........no more speed left....

I will have to run the 18s in the rear. Check the caster.....or add more and maybe rescale the car.  Bonneville will tell.

Now back to the garage. Speed week is right around the corner

Offline roadsterswap

PROMACHINE
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:35 AM »
The guys at PRO MACHINE were kind enough to help me scale the car at the dirt. What a help that was. Thanks guys!

Offline Bob Beatty

weight adjustment
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 10:13:41 AM »
Way to go, Tim!  Getting through the traps wide open with everything pointed the right direction is a real accomplishment.  Running with no rear suspension seems to work for many as long as the course is fairly decent.  When it gets rough or really loosened up you may find you want at least a little rear suspension, especially in a short wheelbase car.  
Your weight distribution may be biased to the rear a little too much.  It looks like adding the weight definitely helped the traction situation.  If you end up having directional stability trouble, you might consider putting some weight over the front axle.  Remember the dart theory - CG ahead of CD.
Good luck and keep having fun.
Bob Beatty

There is no such thing as too much horsepower
 338.954 MPH
 B/BFL

Offline AJR192

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 04:54:01 PM »
Maybe I am out to lunch, but what about the vortex generators Nish sells? It seems they might be some help also.

Offline roadsterswap

vortex gen
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
tell me about them. where do you get them. what do they do etc............ open to any ideas.

i was thinking of putting on fake louvers in the decklid......some say closed louvers work. others say vents from the floor to the panel infront of the deck lid work. This is to break up the bubble of air hanging at the roof...........the roof of the barn!

Offline RichFox

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
I would be pretty careful about adding vortex genorators to a coup. Of course if you don't expect to ever run record or for points and don't care, then why not. Be like Dan's 32.

Offline roadsterswap

vortex
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 06:32:35 PM »
rich what are they and what do they do or dont do? i am sure my car will be the same at the salt as at the dirt. NO TIME! oh well. still having fun.

Offline AJR192

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 08:12:50 PM »
Go to www.nishmotorsports.com. He has an explanation of them as well as his phone number. Either Terry, Mike or Cec could explain much better then I and tell you if they will work on your coupe.

Offline RichFox

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 10:15:16 AM »
Vortex generators are meant to control the boundary layer. Mostly keep it from separating from the body and creating a larger hole in the air for you to punch. I don't make or enforce rules, but I interpret the rules to mean that vortex generators on your car would be considered streamlining aft of the cowl.   RF

Offline roadsterswap

vortex
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:11 AM »
wouldnt you only get in trouble using them if you get a record. Then it could be challenged? Otherwise you can try anything?

dwarner

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »
If you run within 3% of the record with an illegal car and are discovered you will forfit your trophy.

DW

Offline RichFox

WEIGHT A MINUTE
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 11:22:38 AM »
I'm not sure if you can apply the term "boundary layer" to a '32 coup. Bow wave would be more like it.