Author Topic: BUB 2013  (Read 41008 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: BUB 2013
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 07:05:19 PM »
 Dallas Volk just sent a PM - the track got about 1" rain in a half hour, so Bub's 2013 has ended.  Sure hope the rain does some good for the courses for WoS, if nothing else.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Makr, thanks for the update.

How is your bike running?

Don

It ran perfect all week long. The clutch was slipping horrible. I put a bunch of gear to it and just nipped the record. 35 year old record. It isn't by more than a hair, but I will take it. I think it has the power to pull way more. Hope to get the clutch sorted and be at WOS.

Thanks for asking.:D
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »
hero did 211 mph-- that's great.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline rlague

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »
Dallas Volk just sent a PM - the track got about 1" rain in a half hour, so Bub's 2013 has ended.  Sure hope the rain does some good for the courses for WoS, if nothing else.

Looks wet in the photos.  And the weather map shows lots of rain activity in the area for a few days.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Texican

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Is there any place where the final results and records set might be posted?
We have several folks who would like to know.

Jim

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2013, 04:31:44 PM »
The salt was good on the international course, the best in years, based on my experience.  Photos will be posted when I get back to Salem.

This Oregon boy is attuned to rain.  There was a look and feeling that came ahead of this storm that told me to get the heck out of there and I did.  I sorta feel bad that I did not tell others to get off the salt.  I thought they would think I was some sort of crazy idiot.  Word here is there are some folks stuck out there.         

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
With all due respect, Bo -- how does one get stuck out on the salt when there's water there?  I've driven through water at least as deep as the wheel rims of the truck - maybe deeper - with no bad results other than the need for extra care washing.  I've got a diesel -- but spark ignition vehicles run in the deep salt water, too.  Perhaps those that are stuck are thinking that the wet salt makes for slippery or gooey driving -- akin to muddy roads after a rain.  Our experience has shown that the salt surface, when submerged, stays quite driveable.  We've driven through relatively deep water on the salt many times - without ever finding the much-like going that would cause us to be "stuck" out there.  Tell those folks to give it a try.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JR529

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
yes, what Slim said. After the 2011 World Finals massive rain out we worked all day with vehicles running in standing water on the salt picking up the event without any issues at all. The ground that was hard stays hard and nothing changes. Stay out of the areas that were soft when the salt was dry and you're good to go. Just drive at a snails pace to keep the salt splash from ruining the vehicle more than it has already been ruined  :-P

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »
Quote from: Kim Krebs
We all know the saying ... if land speed racing was easy, everyone would do it. We lined up at 7am and ran after 10am only to have a carbon copy of yesterday's runs. Greg ran 196mph, I ran 191mph and Jim ran 194mph. We spent the next 4 hours tracking turbo, data logging and ballast problems only to be beaten by a storm just as we were ready to line up again to do more testing on the run. The sky literally rolled in black and brought driving rain that left the lake with standing water. It's most likely that the BUBs race meet is over. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Either way, we'll start preparing for World of Speed and Cooks Shootout that starts in 10 days time. We know what the problems are. Not all poor news though, other Aussie champions were Ronnie Stayt setting an FIM record at 186mph and Shane Gaghan setting an FIM record of 167mph.

and today

Quote from: Kim Krebs
After that incredible storm yesterday, the Bonneville Salt Flats has become a lake and the race meet is canceled. We don't know when we can retrieve our gear, but we are already working on bike tuning improvement so for World of Speed.

So I guess no one is getting out on the "lake" today

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »
Does anyone know how David Edwards did on the Green ZX14?  He was up at the line for his first run when we pulled out Monday.  Simon made 3 passes Sunday and Monday morning to sort the bike out and their father, whom I believe is 76 years old, ran 84.1 mph on a Yamaha 350 for his personal best Monday morning. 

Lance and I had a great time hanging out with this crowd and we look forward to pitting in their neighborhood if we get a bike or two out there next year.  Thanks again for everything to the Edwards Racing family.
 :cheers:

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
Were there any photographers set up that took pictures of all the runs for 2013? D&W Images?
Also... did they hand out the 2013 metal BUB disk this year? Got one for 2010 and 2011 but not this year.

Thanks

Bike 761
RW&B BMW S1000RR

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »
I changed my Tiger Cub # to 1243 and ran in 250cc MPS-PG with a new motor. We upped the record to 88+ with a top of just over 89 mph. We had Tech problems (swing-arm length) but used the time on Sunday to run on the practice track and get the motor tuned. WE cleared tech on Monday AM and ran our best time on the 1st run. We spent the next 3 days trying but only matched our best on Wednesday AM. We pulled the head and tech'd out only to see the mountains disappear to the southwest. A hasty pit-pack and we were moving to the end of the road when the rain began. We got to the pavement just as the rain stopped but took advantage of the 'under-wash' on the drive into town. 

Yes, there were some hold-ups but we came to have fun and sure did 8-) 8-) 8-)

We said hello to some old friends and welcomed a few new faces to the list. I really appreciated everyone that stopped to say hello and helped us out with jets and half-links. It was really interesting to SEE the blind riders and their coaches on their practice course 8-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
I did not see DW Images there. But Scooter Grub was there. He produces the yearbook and sells individual shots. I don't know any more about if he was shooting the runs. Horst the German guy was everywhere. No more info on that either. Of course the "out of nothing" movie crew were there with all their pro equipment including a drone and a real helicopter.

No aluminum coasters in the goody bag!  Just a program and some Pingel and S&S stickers.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
Scooter was the official photographer for the event this year. I and others have had some issues getting responses from previous vendors, Scooter has always managed to get plenty of good pics.

Old Scrambler that had to be you we pitted next to. We had several off shore multimeters you borrowed,all of which read a different voltage!
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.