Author Topic: Which Class, Engine Swap ?  (Read 6904 times)

Offline DCarr511

Which Class, Engine Swap ?
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:00:35 PM »
OK I working with a 1986 Monte Carlo SS that came with a 305. In order to run in Production ( PRO ) does it have to be run w/ and as a 305 or can another SBC block be used to base another Combo ? I plan on running a " C " engine so up close to 372 CID using a SB 400 block.
Also ..  can an aftermarket block be used ?

Or would doing this put me into the Gas Coupe / Sedan  ( GC ) class ?

TIA,
  Duane

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMARKABLE AND PUSHRODS TOO
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 06:06:16 AM »
Those "Red Headed Step Child" bikers should find this answer interesting.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:52:28 AM »
Never mind .. I didnt notice a thread regarding this has already been started ...............................

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:41:08 PM »
OK now I'm not certain the question has been answered.

Can a SB 400 based aftermarket, Dart or Bowtie block  be allowed to run in /PRO ? Or would it have to run in /GC ? What about a production SB 400 block for that matter ?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
The way I read it yes, yes, yes.

The way I read it 4.N says
An engine swap is the replacement of the original engine with one of a design, which was not available as a factory option.

They site the case of a 350 sbc into a 55 chevy that had a 265 sbc of the same design as "not" an engine swap.  A 396 BBC into the 55 would as it is a different design than the sbc.

Under 5.E Production it says
A different displacement size of the same design engine may be used provided it does not constitute an "engine swap"

So I see no reason you can't run an aftermarket sbc block as long as the heads
are original number of valves and port configuration
and it be the more standard sbc, not say the LT? that has reverse cooling (anything from 86-87 back).

So running a NASCAR type sbc would be out due to the different cylinder head port configuration.

Still if you had any question I would contact the appropriate SCTA official for that class.

c ya, Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
CURIOUS WRINKLE CONTEST
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:49:14 PM »
The cars can do it but the bikes can't because ----------------------------------------------------
 and another thing--------------------.
 So there!
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 11:38:56 PM »
Sumner ... Thank you much ! Thats what I felt also but didnt know for sure. And I do have an email sent out, waiting to hear back.

Again Thanks !

Duane

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:24:58 AM »
Quote from: DCarr511
Sumner ... Thank you much ! Thats what I felt also but didnt know for sure. And I do have an email sent out, waiting to hear back.

Again Thanks !

Duane

Good luck, I sent an SCTA official an email last Friday and still no answer.. :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 01:58:07 AM »
I had a motorcycle question a couple of weeks ago. So I spent a quarter and called Russ O'Dalley(sp), head motorcycle inspector. Got through the first time and had a nice conversation with him. He told me all I needed to know.
I don't know about you guys but I am not the fastest typist in the world, so I would rather talk than type. So I suggest you spend the quarter as I did and you might be happier in the long run. That is if you are in a hurry like I was for my answer. Remember you get what you pay for, and if you don't want to spend a quarter it might take a while for your answer.  :wink:  

PS Costco has a calling card you can use for 2.9 cents a minute anywhere in the USA. Well worth the price. With it you can talk for 8 minutes for a quarter from any state in the United States. It even works from pay phones.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WORTHLESS
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 02:26:50 AM »
Given the state of the bike rules as printed, just undocumented conversation is worthless.
The printed word is something you can hold and share with others.
The phone works both ways if the caller wants to contact someone.
what is better than an open forum for rulings that concern all the entries ?
E-mail answers seem to be selective in response.
 Is it because they will be held to their word or
are the rules unreasonable, unfair, and unworkable ?

" We know SCTA has a communication problem but we are not going to discuss it with the membership."

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »
Well so far what I have gotten is that as long as the Bolt Patterns for the bell Housing, Cylinder Head and Intake Manifold are the same as the Engine that came in the Car it can be run in /PRO.

But he is going to go a step above himself to make certain that an Aftermarket / non " Production " block can be used as long as it fits the above guideline.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 12:53:43 AM »
Quote from: DCarr511
Well so far what I have gotten is that as long as the Bolt Patterns for the bell Housing, Cylinder Head and Intake Manifold are the same as the Engine that came in the Car it can be run in /PRO.

But he is going to go a step above himself to make certain that an Aftermarket / non " Production " block can be used as long as it fits the above guideline.

You are talking an iron block, like a world block?

Sum

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 10:18:08 AM »
Quote from: Sumner
You are talking an iron block, like a world block?

Sum

Yes I am, an Iron block ... Not an Alum. block ...
Bowtie , Dart etc.

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »
Well when all else fails .... read the rule book ... throughly ... It was pointed out to me that on Page 14, Secion 2.A-- 2nd sentence clearly states; "In Production, Grand Touring, XF, XO, XXF, XXO and V4 classes, non-production engines or after-market blocks (even though they accept production crankshafts, cams and cylinder heads) may not be used."

So that answers that question plain and simple

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
GT
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 12:23:22 PM »
GT class on page 68 allows a limited engine swap.
"Engine swaps are permitted, as long as they are of the same manufacturer (e.g., Ford into Ford, Porsche into Porsche, etc.)."
 Bikes are not as well represented with stable rules or representative rulers.