Author Topic: Why does no one want to race?  (Read 4835 times)

Offline creekrat

Why does no one want to race?
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
Except for the second run of the day by Poteet and Main at 443, it was the most boring land speed race I've ever been to. There were times they were nearly begging for cars to come to the line. Is this a new normal here now? I'm more used to ECTA meets where it takes hours in line most of the time.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Why does no one want to race?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:59:37 PM »
SpeedWeek is just what it says.  A week long event.  If you don't run Sat. the event still has six days to go.  Maybe you should stick with the excitement of the ECTA meets.  Spending hours in line is very exciting.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:47:38 AM »

Well they do have more courses now which helps a bunch.

But there are a lot of fast cars that held off.

They might know something we don't, like maybe their waiting for couse to dry up.

Can't wait to long, never can tell when a thunder storm might roll through.

JL222

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:05:28 AM »
Course was beautiful this morning, but it was still damp and from what I hear deteriorated through the day.  From what I've seen crewing out here for 7 years (my car debuts in October) a lot of the faster guys/gals don't rush to be the first ones out on Saturday, and usually the lines on Saturday are pretty long, even Sunday/Monday I've waited 3-4 hours in line many times, especially a few years ago before there were 4 courses available like have been the last couple years. 

Give em time.  Lee Sicilio should be out tomorrow (#97).  Car's first time out was last year, 273 record and 283 out the back.  Hoping to improve on that.  Car never saw more than 56% throttle last year ;)
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline basher13

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:11:55 AM »
Did you see the amount of folks in tech today? People are still showing up, wind is high for some teams and its the first day of the week. We got here about 2:00 and the first thing that happened was someone spun through the 2 mile taking out the marker.
Is it non stop action? Sure is if you're looking for it, sit in one spot and you'll get what you get.
 :cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »

Not sure but looking at Ray's pics it looks like the moved course over from yesterday.

JL222

Offline don

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »
By my count a total of 380 runs yesterday.
333 on the short courses.
Maybe you should go over to course 2 or 3 and watch, if course 1 is slow.
Lots of things to see on the short course.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
Running hard early shows your competition what you can do and it gives them a lot of days to figure out how to better that number.  There are some advantages to putting in the fast runs near the end. 

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
Except for the second run of the day by Poteet and Main at 443, it was the most boring land speed race I've ever been to. There were times they were nearly begging for cars to come to the line. Is this a new normal here now? I'm more used to ECTA meets where it takes hours in line most of the time.

get a car and start racing.    :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:09 AM »
Does not seem to be near as many BIKES   BuB is with us 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »
With course #1 being the old "long course" all the fast stuff ran there.

It's different now. Many of the faster cars run course #2 and course one is open to anyone.

It's a major change. Used to be that all the fast stuff ran "long course" and you could watch

that course and be assured of seeing all the hot dogs.

With four courses it is impossible to keep track of the happenings.

It's a fotogs nightmare.

Rat is too busy to enjoy things. Jon Amo has added a lot with his commentary.

I doubt that he will do as much reporting after this morning.

Sorry Jon and Stainless.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »
With course #1 being the old "long course" all the fast stuff ran there.

It's different now. Many of the faster cars run course #2 and course one is open to anyone.

It's a major change. Used to be that all the fast stuff ran "long course" and you could watch

how long is course #1 this year ? Is it the "short" course ?

Jon

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
Course 1 was rough, wet and the wind was high. Stainless and Jon held off and many fast cars came over to 2 which was still too windy for many ad rough after the 3. Course 3 was windy on Saturday and we waited a LONG time to get our first run in. We switched to 2 on Sunday.

Many of us also commented on the lesser amount of spectators lining the course.