Author Topic: North American Eagle events  (Read 62801 times)

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Re: North American Eagle events
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »
I wrote to David Petreli and told him that my webmaster is going to retract his statements about BREAKING a record and only refer to it as exceeding
a benchmark set by Lee Breedlove. I know the rules but some times the guys that write about us get a little carried away. There is NO record until
we exceed 763 MPH. We cannot break Kitty O'Neil's record because it is an FIM record which we cannot compete against unless we retract our
middle wheels. We can, however, exceed the 512 MPH mark set by Kitty and make a claim to that speed mark. Either way, it still is not a cure for cancer!
Ed

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
Always ask to review any thing that's to go public, you will make changes to the wording and facts of the said event. Been through it and totally rejected the article, it was not printed.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
Just happy to see Kitty and Jessi, both South Dakota ladies, mentioned in the same sentence! :cheers:

Offline ack

« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »
I wish the best for ED and his crew in their quest and would love to see them take back the current record from the Brit’s with their ingenuity perseverance and on a shoe string budget.  As far as claimed speeds go they totally lost all credibility with me regarding unofficial speed when they claimed they went 400 at EL Mirage and the parachutes didn't deploy, but they were able to stop a 14,000 lb. car going 400 in a mile just using the magnetic brakes and smooth aluminum wheels on dirt.

Offline joea

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
believing in something...having the passion to pursue those dreams...and tenacity can
indeed beat cancer....

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
speaking of cancer curing ...

we build the mechanical part of this machine

IntraOp Medical

this is a new technology 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSdurUKNLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6qlwv_FL8

any questions ... call me or Intraop Medical

bob dalton
408 683 2100

Offline F104A

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
I wish the best for ED and his crew in their quest and would love to see them take back the current record from the Brit’s with their ingenuity perseverance and on a shoe string budget.  As far as claimed speeds go they totally lost all credibility with me regarding unofficial speed when they claimed they went 400 at EL Mirage and the parachutes didn't deploy, but they were able to stop a 14,000 lb. car going 400 in a mile just using the magnetic brakes and smooth aluminum wheels on dirt.

Well, we were able to get stopped from 515 MPH in two miles with magnetic brakes and aluminum wheels at Alvord. Come out and watch us before you call us liars.
Ed

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2013, 07:10:11 AM »
In 1997 Andy Green had a parachute failure with the Thrust SSC (22 000 lb) at over 700 mph and stopped the car with his "regular" brakes...he overrun the course by only 1 1/2 mile...
but if necessary he could had stop earlier....he simple said to his pick up crew over the CB when he found out that he lost the parachute...."pick me at 1 1/2 mile plus to the normal stop"... and there he stopped....

it was possible for Andy Green....the brake system on the NAE is much more advanced....so...where is the problem to do it in two miles from 515...it isn't a problem....it is simple possible....

Ed, you done a great job at Alvord.

Well, we were able to get stopped from 515 MPH in two miles with magnetic brakes and aluminum wheels at Alvord. Come out and watch us before you call us liars.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline ski123

« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »
ski123,I don't understand your ouch remark. DW and I have been involved is LSR for many years and we strive on perfection of speeds and the records. Everything we do is certified by the department of standards, all two way runs are overseen by FIA or FIM  along with two SCTA/BNI timers, the course is  measured by a survey company.The Gunnes book and timing by Satellite do not apply to the records set under the rules of the associations they are conducted.

My ^^^OUCH! comment was due to the fact that the letter had to be written.
Kind of sad, but maybe any publicity is good publicity, just maybe. Go Fast!
All respect to the official timers, all parties.  Without you is there any reality?

velocity

« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »
I need to chime in on the brake citations. . .

Having spent considerable time with the NAE crew and the brake's "inventor" when they were out on Black Rock some years ago, I am steadfastly convinced those magnetic brakes are the best part of tech on the NAE. Brilliant, safe and smart for the application.

We've all disparaged Ed and his crew for taking such a long time to get the absolute record, I often wondered why they bothered sometimes, did they really think they had a chance to unseat Green? Well, I do now. If I have leaned one thing from watching class-level land speed racers at Bonneville it is that they are overflowing with tenacity and patience despite being bereft of dollars and friends in high places. They carry on, against all odds, for years and years and years so that when victory comes the cheers are mixed with abundant tears. The waste gate of emotions trumps the speed achieved because in the end it was always about finishing what they had started, what they thought possible and what they needed to prove to themselves - not others.

I have repeatedly told Ed Shadle I would very much like to champion the NAE cause, but so much time has passed since it began (and I have been there since the start) that I really need to see that car get a number of plus 400MPH runs to feel comfortable the program was still viable. They've done that at Alvord so let's give a round of applause then prod them to get going faster - soon.

How thoroughly wonderful it would be for Andy Green to climb into the Bloodhound in 2015 chasing NAE's absolute WLSR!!!

As for Jessi and ANY reference to a "woman's" record . . ., anyone who knows me understands you are poised for a head-on confrontation trying to advance such utter fecal matter. No car, no ship or aircraft has any clue to its operator's gender, it merely responds to input.

Good input = good results. Poor input= bad results.

It is as simple as that.

Paula Murphy, Betty Skelton and Lee Breedlove are to acknowledged and heralded as pioneers driving jets when women were mostly destined and expected to be "domestic engineers." They all demonstrated that women were capable of so much more. They all recorded benchmark speeds that were, alas, the product of PR stunts by sponsors who did not dare give the gals a real chance to prove their abilities.

Spirit of America Chief Engineer Walt Sheehan was under orders from the Goodyear rep to turn down the engine speed on Lee Breedlove's runs. I know this because Walt told me so years later and thought it would have been so much better if she and Craig would have gone "heads-up". Imagine the headlines if MRS Breedlove beat MR Breedlove at his own game!

Paula, the first woman to earn a fuel license form NHRA, drove Walt Arfon's jet at plus 200MPH speeds - twice -- though more puddles than dry salt and NEVER once wavered in controlling the machine. It was at a time when one was not required to set a record, merely run 2 ways in excess of 200MPH to gain admittance to the Bonneville 200MPH Club. I secured the USAC time slips from Petrali and presented it to the 2Club folks but they came back saying that the rules had changed and Paula wasn't welcome.

Betty had Art Arfons scared silly that something might go wrong despite the lady's undeniable and enviable aviation skills. Art was a great guy, but he was old school and had a hard time with women in race cars during the early 1960's; he also turned down the engine speed until she complained bitterly and he relented. By the way . . . in 1956, Skelton was part of a Dodge-sponsored team that set 395 new speed records at Bonneville, adding to the nine speed and acceleration records that Skelton had set earlier in the year at the Daytona Speed Weeks. And I won't list her numerous aerobatic championships. . .

On a much smaller, insignificant level, early in my automotive journalism career, when a "colleague" would play a gender card my response was to simply out-drive him on the track recording the lowest lap times and highest speeds. If Carroll Shelby was still with us, he would give you an earful about what happened at his test track in SoCal when a Chrysler PR guy tried to make me drive with the "women."  Epic.

So let's forget about the gender record thing. Please Ed, please. I asked Rosco McGlashan to to do the same thing years ago. As Dave Petrali officially pointed out, there is no such thing and it demeans those of us who strive to be accomplished drivers by putting in the time, the laps and practice to be smooth, to be fast, to be first.

If Jessi proves she's got the ovaries to wrangle NAE through Mach One, it would be so utterly noble if Ed and Keith gave her the seat. But Jessi, girl, you best EARN it.

I have just returned from a two week UK tour that included a full day of laps on Brands hatch driving a stable of supercars, clinking champagne glasses with Richard Noble and john Ackroyd celebrating their 30th anniversary of the 633MPH Thrust II record at the Coventry Transport Museum then finishing with a full day at the Bloodhound Technical Center getting my fill of what it takes to be serious about going 1,000MPH.

The Brits have what we yanks do not when it comes to the WLSR: desire.

America has all the smarts and parts, but we don't have a "pied piper" like Noble to lead us to high speed glory. If we did, I am certain we could kick their butts.

LandSpeed Louise  

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
Louise:

Thank you for the historic perspective from someone who has been there. Jesse and the NAE crew have demonstrated they have a capable vehicle. Can't wait for them to turn up the wick.

I respect the pioneers that broke the stereotypes. 2014 will be interesting.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Tman

« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2013, 06:07:10 AM »
Thanks Louise!

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
Louise,

You my friend have a great way with words..... I think the same things but do not have near the writing ability of you. WELL stated. You are a fine tuned Ninja writer.....

Thanks

JonAmo

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
I wrote to David Petreli and told him that my webmaster is going to retract his statements about BREAKING a record and only refer to it as exceeding
a benchmark set by Lee Breedlove. I know the rules but some times the guys that write about us get a little carried away. There is NO record until
we exceed 763 MPH. We cannot break Kitty O'Neil's record because it is an FIM record which we cannot compete against unless we retract our
middle wheels. We can, however, exceed the 512 MPH mark set by Kitty and make a claim to that speed mark. Either way, it still is not a cure for cancer!

Well ok... Time for damage control... Will the media outlets be corrected as well?

Offline F104A

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
Impossible for me to correct the media outlets. They write their own version of the story and never check with me.
Ed