Author Topic: North American Eagle events  (Read 62783 times)

Offline ack

Re: North American Eagle events
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »
"Jessi Combs has become the fastest woman alive" is the opening sentence.

Must have been a data error she now has gone 440

http://cars.uk.msn.com/trending-blog/fastest-woman-on-four-wheels-crowned-after-440mph-record-run

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
Why is everyone that has written a story about jessi combs keeps using the words world record when they are talking about how fast she went. everyone in the LSR world knows that she did not set an offical record she only went faster then lee breedlove did in 65. everyone knows that ed let jessi drive the car as a gimmic to get someone to step up and give him enough money so he can go after the record that thrust ssc set.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Just remember, the media writes this stuff. In spite of what you tell them or send to them in writing, they still color it up to suit themselves.
We know what the benchmarks are and what the records are. We are also aware of the certifiction requirements.
Ed

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »
racefanwfo , you sound like a f--king traitor or something speaking that way. why would you care about whos in the drivers seat as long as an american team brings the record back to the u.s.a .  your a hater for some screwed up reason . or just jealous cause she so pretty and eds so smart.

Offline sabat

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »
racefanwfo , you sound like a f--king traitor or something speaking that way. why would you care about whos in the drivers seat as long as an american team brings the record back to the u.s.a .  your a hater for some screwed up reason . or just jealous cause she so pretty and eds so smart.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the NAE is not an American team. They are a North American team - USA & Canada.

I think what RFW is commenting on is the media's disrespect to the (American) woman who holds the fastest 'certified' record on land, Kitty O'Neill. Any media member who neglects this fact does her (and the NAE team) a great disservice.

Dean

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »
 dont be sorry. the army took care of the bubble long ago.  GO N.A.E.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
Geez guys, don't get so worked up. All we're trying to do is see how fast we can get the beast going. It's not a cure for cancer.........!
Ed

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
  Ed, your the only one posting who can see the finish line..............  keep on truckin................  Bob  :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2013, 02:15:43 AM »
Mitchell i think you miss understood what i was trying to say. First off i want to see ED and the NAE bring the WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD back to america. Now ed and his crew have been working on the car for i believe 17 years now and in all that time no major sponsor has stepped up and given ed any money to put there name on the car and be part of the project. All the money that has been spent to build the car has come from the pockets of ed and his partners. Now there have been some small companys that have donated parts and systems for the car but no one has come forward and given ed the money that he needs to run for the record. I understand why ed is letting jessi drive the car and try and go faster then lee breedlove or kitty oneil did and maybe someone with a lot of dollars will take notice and step up but no matter how fast jessi go's the record that ed wants is the one held by THRUST SSC and ed will be the one driving the NAE when they go for that record. My gripe is the fact that the media wants to say that jessi broke a world record when she drove the car. The bottom line is she only went faster then lee breedlove did is 1965 in her ex husband's car. There was no offical record set. I hope ed does get the money to run for the world land speed record before bloodhound or the aussie invader get to run because if not i feel that either one of those cars will end up running faster then the nae is able to run. I asked ed how fast he thought the nae could go and he said the way the car sits top speed is right about 800 mph. He said for the car to go faster it would need to be modified. The clock is ticking.   
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Tman

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »
Crazy small world. I just realized why Jessi looked familiar to me, she is a local Black Hills girl and we have crossed paths in the past! :oops: Where is the handslap to the forehead picture!?!?! Hell, I even know her brother. Shows what 6 years without TV and local newspaper will do to you!  :cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
Hope this copies over OK, received from USAC today:

Oct 29 at 5:04 PM 

FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE
DE L'AUTOMOBILE

David Petrali  Chief Steward FIA sanction and licenses-  ACCUS-FIA/USAC LSR

Regarding the Jessi Combs media coverage, the following statement was sent to the Autoweek editor:

While, we congratulate Ms. Combs on her claimed achievement, we would note that setting an FIA World Land Speed Record involves compliance with very specific regulations, including observation by FIA officials and ultimate approval by the FIA's Land Speed Records Commission.  Ms. Combs’ reported runs were not even observed by the FIA, much less approved. Therefore, no FIA World Record may be claimed to have been broken.

Furthermore, the FIA does not take note of the gender of its World Record holders. Therefore, the record category which Ms Combs was claiming to compete in does not even exist.

In addition I send the following to Ed Shadle:

Dear Ed,

I am sending this email to you because of the following items that have appeared after Jessi Combs runs at Alvord. The first is from your website, landspeed.com:

Jessi Combs completed her second test run in the North American Eagle (NAE) Supersonic Speed Challenger, posting a speed of 302.462 miles per hour this afternoon. That speed is just 6 miles per hour shy of the current FIA women’s land speed record of 308 mph set in 1965 by Lee Breedlove, wife of former land speed record holder Craig Breedlove. Combs is now poised to set a new record when she climbs back into the jet-powered NAE vehicle tomorrow on the dry lakebed at the Alvord Desert in southeastern Oregon.

As well as numerous other media articles about the event including:

“GPS data and telemetry is now being delivered to the FIA for certification purposes.” - appearing at - http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/12/list-host-jessi-combs-worlds-fastest-woman-four-wheels-video-exclusive/

This handily surpassed the previous Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) women’s land speed record of 308 mph set back in 1965 by Lee Breedlove, wife of former world land speed record holder Craig Breedlove. - appearing at - http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--new-womens-land-speed-record-set?ref=bfv

On behalf of myself, the USA FIA community including ACCUS, USAC and the FIA Land Speed Records Commission I submit that while, we congratulate Ms. Combs on her claimed achievement, we would note that setting an FIA World Land Speed Record involves compliance with very specific regulations, including observation by FIA officials and ultimate approval by the FIA's Land Speed Records Commission.  Ms. Combs’ reported runs were not even observed by the FIA, much less approved. Therefore, no FIA World Record may be claimed to have been broken. It should also be noted that FIA land speed records are never certified based on GPS data or telemetry.

Furthermore, the FIA does not take note of the gender of its World Record holders. Therefore, the record category which Ms Combs was claiming to compete in does not even exist.

Best regards,

Dave

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »

DE L'AUTOMOBILE

Regarding the Jessi Combs media coverage, the following statement was sent to the Autoweek editor:

While, we congratulate Ms. Combs on her claimed achievement, we would note that setting an FIA World Land Speed Record involves compliance with very specific regulations, including observation by FIA officials and ultimate approval by the FIA's Land Speed Records Commission.  Ms. Combs’ reported runs were not even observed by the FIA, much less approved. Therefore, no FIA World Record may be claimed to have been broken.

Dear Ed,

I am sending this email to you because of the following items that have appeared after Jessi Combs runs at Alvord. The first is from your website, landspeed.com:

Jessi Combs completed her second test run in the North American Eagle (NAE) Supersonic Speed Challenger, posting a speed of 302.462 miles per hour this afternoon. That speed is just 6 miles per hour shy of the current FIA women’s land speed record of 308 mph set in 1965 by Lee Breedlove, wife of former land speed record holder Craig Breedlove. Combs is now poised to set a new record when she climbs back into the jet-powered NAE vehicle tomorrow on the dry lakebed at the Alvord Desert in southeastern Oregon.

“GPS data and telemetry is now being delivered to the FIA for certification purposes.” - appearing at - http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/12/list-host-jessi-combs-worlds-fastest-woman-four-wheels-video-exclusive/

This handily surpassed the previous Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) women’s land speed record of 308 mph set back in 1965 by Lee Breedlove, wife of former world land speed record holder Craig Breedlove. - appearing at - http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--new-womens-land-speed-record-set?ref=bfv

On behalf of myself, the USA FIA community including ACCUS, USAC and the FIA Land Speed Records Commission I submit that while, we congratulate Ms. Combs on her claimed achievement, we would note that setting an FIA World Land Speed Record involves compliance with very specific regulations, including observation by FIA officials and ultimate approval by the FIA's Land Speed Records Commission.  Ms. Combs’ reported runs were not even observed by the FIA, much less approved. Therefore, no FIA World Record may be claimed to have been broken. It should also be noted that FIA land speed records are never certified based on GPS data or telemetry.

Best regards,

Dave

DW

In the car business we call that the "assumptive close." Until the money is in the house and the car leaves the dealership you have nothing! Until the sanctioning body certifies we all have a "personal best."

Jesse, you made some very fast passes. I respect that.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »
I agree -- Jessi has made some fast runs in the car, getting more and more comfortable in it every time (I assume).  As for the FIA and the statements that Dave Petrali made -- yes, they are correct to object to the claim being made that she/they broke the record or set a new record.  Change the wording (in the fifth or so paragraph down) just a bit and things would be fine.  That is, "she exceeded the record speed" instead of "broke the record" is both factual - and respectful of the FIA rules.  And that she was poised to break the record on the next run can be considered correct in that she could exceed the two-way average record speed, but incorrect when it implied she'd get the record with that/those runs.  No FIA in attendance = no record.

As for a women's record, I understand that there is no gender specification in land speed racing record attempts (witness Nancy's records and those of so many other female racers in our sport).  But - she did become the fastest woman in that particular class or car or whatever, so bragging rights, if not a document, are hers. 

Ah, ain't this American language fun?  So many words, so many ways to represent an act or event.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ski123

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »

DE L'AUTOMOBILE

Dear Ed,

Best regards,

Dave

DW

.                                 ^^^          OUCH!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2013, 06:32:12 PM »
ski123,I don't understand your ouch remark. DW and I have been involved is LSR for many years and we strive on perfection of speeds and the records. Everything we do is certified by the department of standards, all two way runs are overseen by FIA or FIM  along with two SCTA/BNI timers, the course is  measured by a survey company.The Gunnes book and timing by Satellite do not apply to the records set under the rules of the associations they are conducted.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah