Author Topic: North American Eagle events  (Read 62804 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: North American Eagle events
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 05:53:11 AM »
Rick,

first, she run under the 2 hours FIM regulation with a tricycle (like Craig Breedlove with the Spirit of America in 1963/4).

Second, there is only a signed paper from FIM that she set this average under the FIM regulation, but the speed was never certified, due to this that Frederick/Needham never paid the fee for the certification to FIM. Hal Needham himself was interest to set the record, Kitty was only a paying driver. Hal, later tried to go faster on a other mud lake but bend the car. He stated that he run faster then Kitty, but there is no paper and timing which confirm this....maybe Kitty bend his pride also, just a little bit.

copied from FB:.....This just in folks, @[135210683162354:274:Jessi Combs] unofficially broke the Women's Land Speed Record! She ran a 344.002 MPH average over a measured mile, with a top speed of 382 MPH!

:-o :-o  So why is Kitty's 512mph average run being ignored??
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
My wife drove my PT Cruiser yesterday. Results below. YEA! New Record!

All this amounts to a very expensive hobby unless there is a certifiable record attached to it.

I wish Ed all the best, but this is just an expensive hobby at this point.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline ski123

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
I wish I could afford another expensive hobby too.
What now for the NAE?  Weather hold? Are the
tests done for now, pack it up till next fall?
What's going on?  Why no updates or video?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
He's running and trying, nothing else is anywhere close to running in the thrust class, Ed and crew have put their hearts into this and they might fool us all, I wish them the best in their endever to go fast.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
Right on, Glen!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »
Glen, there are a lot of people that are always ready to criticize the efforts of others and they're totally safe because they never do anything themselves so they don't leave themselves open to criticism in return. More power to people like Ed and his crew who have actually gone out and done something and left themselves open to the non performing critics.

Keep pounding away Ed. Maybe you'll be able to pound those critics right into the ground.

Pete

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
Well I for one commend on the running at Alvarod, it has been a great accomplishment from start of project to where it is today.... Downfall from there...

No media information and many did not know it was running. Going after such a huge non-existent record "woman's" should have gained some media attention, unless the project was to do it in the dark of night and has mischievous intentions.  Website did not have dates or times, updates. No information posted on website during the running of the vehicle. NAE claims they need money, sponsorship but the neglect the importance of media and promotion. There was just a presentation done on the super fancy sophisticated website, but it could not be updated during the attempts? Random pieces only came in from FB posts. Who would like to sponsor a project that seems to run ghostly. No official timing of event, so claims are no more than bar talk without any type of factual data to backup the information. If all systems were down where did the numbers come from?

With all this high tech equipment I find it difficult that pulling speeds from the vehicle are that difficult. This was a F104 originally correct? Air Speed????? Maybe with multiple failures in capturing speeds you should look at what was done over 30 years ago and find what they used, seemed accurate and they didn't have to spend a week to analyze the data. The awful manipulation of the information presented seems distasteful to the history of the sport. I guess it would be hard to find a sponsor when accurate information can not be presented either speeds, times, press releases, running.

Wish the team the best, and congratulations on whatever speed you "analyze" comes out of "calculations".

Yours in sport,
JonAmo
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:42:55 PM by JonAmo »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
Jon, with all of the crap from getting a permit  to run there I don't think they wanted a bunch of lookiloos running around. They had to have all emergency equip and some kind of security as weill, none of is cheap. I did ask the question two times on who and how it was timed over the stated timed (and measured mile). I have known Ed for many years and at this point I think he is going about it the right way, Black rock was a zoo when Breedlove and Green were running.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
Ed, do you have a non-facebook cockpit video with sound when she switched on the afterburner?  What a thrill that must have been!  You folks are doing great.  - Bo

Offline ski123

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »

JonAmo  nailed it. Including the first sentence.  Lots of blood  sweat and tears
have been put into this venture.  I'm sure their team wants to see results just as much as
the internet crowd.  There just seems like something very important is missing.
I'm sure it's not a lack of trying.  That brass ring is so close but yet so far away.
People can only route for the underdog for so long.  What about Kitty being dissed?
Go Fast, Have Fun, Drink Beer!

Go USA Go NAE!

Well I for one commend on the running at Alvarod, it has been a great accomplishment from start of project to where it is today.... Downfall from there...

No media information and many did not know it was running. Going after such a huge non-existent record "woman's" should have gained some media attention, unless the project was to do it in the dark of night and has mischievous intentions.  Website did not have dates or times, updates. No information posted on website during the running of the vehicle. NAE claims they need money, sponsorship but the neglect the importance of media and promotion. There was just a presentation done on the super fancy sophisticated website, but it could not be updated during the attempts? Random pieces only came in from FB posts. Who would like to sponsor a project that seems to run ghostly. No official timing of event, so claims are no more than bar talk without any type of factual data to backup the information. If all systems were down where did the numbers come from?

With all this high tech equipment I find it difficult that pulling speeds from the vehicle are that difficult. This was a F104 originally correct? Air Speed????? Maybe with multiple failures in capturing speeds you should look at what was done over 30 years ago and find what they used, seemed accurate and they didn't have to spend a week to analyze the data. The awful manipulation of the information presented seems distasteful to the history of the sport. I guess it would be hard to find a sponsor when accurate information can not be presented either speeds, times, press releases, running.

Wish the team the best, and congratulations on whatever speed you "analyze" comes out of "calculations".

Yours in sport,
JonAmo

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »
Kitty was not "DISSET"! We know that we cannot run over 512 on the current track. Kitty actually ran on a prepared track on the lakebed. it was a smooth cleaned
section of the lakebed, done by the county. Tom Davis, owner of the Alvord Ranch, who put up their team, showed me the track. We needed to  see if we could
exceed the 308 record by Lee Breedlove. Given better lakebed conditions and 2 more miles, we could have run at Kitty's record. If Kitty can make it out here when
we go for that record, she will stay with the team. On Wednesday, I ran an unofficial single pass at 500 MPH myself. Jessi ran a two way speed over the measured
mile of 392, did it within 50 minutes and 7.8 miles, start to full stop! Next time we come out, hopefully Mike Cook will be able to show up with his clocks and
we will have some officials on site. I realize there is no actual category for the female record but it is recognized by Guiness records. Hope that explains it....Ed
Ed

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:44 AM »
Well I will applaud the effort. More importantly I extra applaud the team. Lots of work going towards the project.

I guess who are, the internet, to tell you how to run the team. If running in the darkness gets you your personal goals, great. I hope you get the record, the sponsorship, the track, women's record, men's record, jet records, Alvarod record, A Big Mac at Burger King, A Chick-Fillet sandwich on Sunday and whatever else you set out to do.

I guess your attempt including current runs and the media information or there lack of confuse me more than anything. So I am humbly asking a couple of questions, when you say we are analyzing the data and calculating speeds what exactly are you talking about? I guess in my years of data recording the data is there, download it and it gives you what you want. If I remember right it took weeks last time to come up with a number? Can you elaborate on what system this is and how it works? I am interested in knowing more.

Next, on your website in big letters it reads, "Jessi Combs Broke the FIA Record" (Top Speed 440, average 392) In the text below that it says "Our first objective is to break the world female land speed record set by Kitty O'Neil in 1976 at 512 MPH.", later is then says "That speed is just 6 miles per hour shy of the current FIA women’s land speed record of 308 mph set in 1965 by Lee Breedlove, wife of former land speed record holder Craig Breedlove." So which is it? What FIA record did she break? I guess to the average reader it looks impressive, but I question the wording used and the intentions of what is meant is misleading.

"I realize there is no actual category for the female record but it is recognized by Guinness records."   Are we going to see this in Guinness and were they there during the attempt?

Yours in sport,
JonAmo
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:41:43 AM by JonAmo »

Offline joea

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
before folks get too critical of analysis by the like of JonA and others....these folks are involved with entities that can and
do provide financial backing to high speed endeavors....and are intimately involved with others in the industries at various
trade shows etc that do the same...

they know how critical they are in gowing forth with finiancial backing....and appearance...management...practices...legitimacy
are some of the areas closely "scrutinized"  

they arent on here to bad mouth, because their true intent is to see success.....

Ed...it is "official" that you have a very fast car...CONGRATS !!!!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:25:58 AM by joea »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »
How fast do jet cars run in a quarter mile? 

Offline ski123

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »
Technology is only good if you know how to use it.