Author Topic: North American Eagle events  (Read 62778 times)

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
Re: North American Eagle events
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:41 PM »
copied from FB:.....This just in folks, @[135210683162354:274:Jessi Combs] unofficially broke the Women's Land Speed Record! She ran a 344.002 MPH average over a measured mile, with a top speed of 382 MPH!

:-o :-o  So why is Kitty's 512mph average run being ignored??
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »
3 wheels... or 4 wheels?

bob

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
My question is how was it timed and by who?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »
I don't know if this is the answer, but it could be. Kitty did it in a Rocket powered vehicle, Jesse did it in a jet.
Just my guess, but I found this on the FIA site.

Tom G.

Category C:
Special vehicles complying with the definition given at Art.13.
These records may be subdivided according to the type of engine
used (jet,rocket, etc.).
The use of moveable aerodynamic devices is permitted.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline joea

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 10:00:10 PM »
kitty was FIM...sanctioned ...:)...

and i suppose still has the "course" record, as it also happened
on Alvord...over 30 yrs ago.....

Offline sabat

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
The NAE Facebook page posted a clarification that the record they unofficially broke today is "for the FIA".

Offline joea

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
Dean the NAE headline most recently (after the one you cited: is Jessie Combs BROKE the FIA record......

3 different sites indicate it....

and

Jessi Combs has SET a new Women's Land Speed Record.....

https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanEagle

and

http://landspeed.com/press/232-jessi-combs-sets-new-womens-land-speed-record

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jessi Combs Sets New Women’s Land Speed Record

Her 344.002mph Average Beats 1965 Record by 36mph

ALVORD DESERT, Oregon (October 8, 2013) – Jessi Combs has broken the women’s land speed record with a two-way average speed of 344 miles per hour. That mark surpasses the previous FIA women’s land speed record of 308mph set in 1965 by Lee Breedlove, wife of former world land speed record holder Craig Breedlove. Combs drove the North American Eagle (NAE) Supersonic Speed Challenger vehicle on the dry lakebed at the Alvord Desert in southeastern Oregon.

At 10:38am Pacific time, Combs blazed through the measured mile at 318.2057 mph. “That felt so rad. I want to do it again,” said Combs after coming to a stop at the north end of the course. Combs only went into afterburner briefly during her first pass. The afterburner nearly doubles the thrust of the jet engine. “You need to get a bit more speed,” said team owner Ed Shadle. “So somewhere between the 3 and 4 mile mark, you may want to see what full AB feels like.” “Did you just give me the okay to go into full afterburner?” asked Combs with a big grin.

Climbing back into the cockpit after the vehicle was turned around, the crew restarted the Eagle’s jet engine and Combs roared off. This time, she did indeed go into full afterburner. At 11:30am, Combs recorded a speed of 369.7983 mph, for a record-setting two-way average speed of 344.002 mph. She hit a top speed of 382.8 mph on her second pass. The rules require that a driver make two passes across a measured course, once in each direction, with the second pass completed within 60 minutes of the first. Officials then average the two speeds.

The vehicle Combs drove, the North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger, is a 14,000 pound, 50,000 horsepower converted F 104 Lockheed Starfighter jet that once served as a chase plan for the X-15 and SR-71. The all-volunteer team of American and Canadian engineers and former military personnel converted the F-104 into a jet-powered car designed to travel at more than 800mph.

Asked what it felt like to go into full afterburner mode, Combs’ grin got even larger. “It’s amazing,” she said. “It changes the entire ride. Why didn’t you let me do this on the first run?” she asked Shadle. “It was the greatest feeling I’ve ever had in my life.”
Combs is an automotive metal fabricator and currently co-hosts All Girls Garage (Velocity by the Discovery Channel) and The List: 1001 Car Things to do Before You Die (AutoBlog). Previous television appearances include Mythbusters and Overhaulin’ (Discovery Channel), Xtreme 4x4 (Spike TV), and Two Guys Garage (Speed Channel).

In 2014, Shadle will drive the Eagle in an attempt to break the current world land speed record of 763 mph. With the current British record holders at work on a new vehicle of their own, the NAE team is not only faced with the challenge of breaking the current record, they are also in a race with the British to be the first to set a new land speed record.

Ed Shadle / North American Eagle
shadleed@q.com / 253-228-0380
www.landspeed.com

David Cohn / NAE press contact
david@dscohn.com / 360-961-3087

Offline sabat

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
I wonder if there's an FIA official there? I was under the impression that the FIA / FIM folks were slow to certify records.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:10 PM »
Lets get real here there was no record set she just went faster then lee breedlove did. As it was stated before there is no offical womens land speed record. This is all being done to try and get someone to come up with the money so ed can try and break the record that thrust ssc set in 97. I myself could care less how fast she went.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 10:53:44 PM »
miss Jessie is not taking baby steps.
or is she ?
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
It goes beyond any record, regardless of the sanctioning, and regardless of the nature of it.

What we have here is a high profile event that further tests the capabilities of the NAE, that draws some MUCH NEEDED attention to the effort, and one where further data can be gathered to move the program forward.

Provided the data collection is working properly, all of those goals have been achieved.

If there's a record that comes with it, THAT will draw the interest of the unwashed masses, and possibly the dollars necessary to help underwrite the effort.

I won't poo poo any of this - congratulations have been earned by this team.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Phil UK

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »
Kitty O'Neil set a FIM timed speed driving the 3 wheeled Motivator, Lee Breedlove was FIA timed with Craig's 4 wheeled Spirit of America. The women's record is more about bragging rights and publicity than anything else as officially there is no such thing. What disappoints here with the NAE is that it is only on the day that the true mission target of 308mph is revealed when the Guiness record had previously been spoken of. If this is merely a stepping stone to going after Kitty's speed then that's fine but it now needs to be made clear what the project's intentions are, a 520mph+ women's "record" would add huge credibilty to the NAE's cause.

Phil

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 05:41:55 AM »
October 7th, Ed posted in reply #12, "Global Navigation system was dropping out so no accurate data",,"Pocket Phone couldnt keep up and fried",, "The Air Speed Indicator is not very accurate, gave a approximate speed",,

October 8th, all this talk about "Worlds Fastest", "FIA gets a mention", i dont see "Subject to Ratification" anywhere,,

sort of says it all, dont it,,,  :-D :roll:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:53:47 AM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 05:45:18 AM »
It goes beyond any record, regardless of the sanctioning, and regardless of the nature of it.

What we have here is a high profile event that further tests the capabilities of the NAE, that draws some MUCH NEEDED attention to the effort, and one where further data can be gathered to move the program forward.

Indeed that is what the exercise seems to have done on social media.  It is all PR 'puff'.

If the FIA had been represented then all of the claims on FB etc. would result in the FIA records commission not ratifying the NAE speed attempt.  The FIA has procedures and practices far removed from most National record setting practices and as a World body the Land Speed Record Commission members are spread far and wide across eight to ten countries. They take time to digest the reports sent to them from the officials before a record is 'homologated'.

For the minimal amount of driving time Jessi has done a steady and safe job at the controls (I was going to say wheel but NAE does not have one). Other TV show presenters have had problems in the past. :-(

In the early days of Jet cars the FIA did not care about the number of wheels in the 'Jet Unlimited' class that they created in haste after the FIM approved the Spirit of America record which meant that Donald Campbell, running an FIA automobile, was never the fastest on land. Nowadays the FIA are for four and more wheels and FIM are for three or two (except in the Quad racing classes where the bike steering affects the front two and two more provide drive!).

Malcolm, Derby, England

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 02:02:31 AM »
Several of you hit the nail on the head. It is done in a Hollywood set as a reality show. We're not really in the Alvord Desert and Jessi is not a real human person and neither am I,
we made it all up! End of Story.....!
Ed