Author Topic: APPS for Bonneville road trip  (Read 3334 times)

Offline saltracer1

APPS for Bonneville road trip
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »
Got a new phone and was wondering if you guys find certain apps good for a long road trip? So far have Pandora so I can listen to Ray Charles whenever I want.

Typed Milton, La. to Wendover, Utah into the app "Beat the Traffic" and it responded "Holy guacamole, that's a long commute!"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: APPS for Bonneville road trip
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
I have .mp3 files of old radio shows like "Dragnet", "Gunsmoke", "The Shadow", etc. as well as some tunes. It makes the time pass pretty fast.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
We'll be spending a half hour or so at the Peter White Public Library here in Marquette some time in the next few days -- selecting talking books for our trip.  Since we're in the truck and driving down the road for close to 12 hours/day for three days - in each direction - books are fine for us.  We listen to the radio some and to the iPod some and to good radio shows like This American Life -- but the talking books are a good way to make a half-day disappear.  And driving across North Dakota is a good reason to want a half day to disappear.  Ditto for much of eastern Montana.

Of course, it could be worse -- we could be stuck driving in western Iowa and Kansas. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:37:32 AM »
The day in Nebraska and Wyoming is the worst for me...I usually get a call telling me World Finals have been cancelled...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Texican

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
  I under stand there is now an app for "Droid", I believe it is, for Gasbuddy.com.
There is a box near the top where you can click on "plan my trip", or some such.
You dial in your mileage and tank capacity; it figures your range of distance, and tells you the best prices in the area.

Of course, you can plan it out before you leave home.

It worked well for me on trip from Saltville to Colorado in June.

The lowest prices aren't always near the fwy. (Tourist trap gouging?)
Stay safe...
Jim

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
Options are limited in Wyoming  :|
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »
Trapster® alerts you to police speed traps and other roadway hazards.

Waze is the world's fastest-growing community-based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute.

Of course nothing beats Google maps. Destination routes, alternate routes, turn-by-turn navigation, street view of your destination, satellite view of your destination, traffic, bus and train lines, walking directions, gas stations, stores . . .

Spotify. Listen everywhere. Spotify works on your computer, your mobile, your tablet, and your home entertainment system.
You can even download your favorite music for when you’re offline.

Speed HUD uses your GPS and phones screen to display your speed. You can reverse the text so you can put your phone on your dashboard at night and see your speed on your windshield, keeping your eyes on the road and not looking down at your speedometer.

Park Me Right: Car Locator. Never lose your car in a parking lot again.

AAA mobile. If you have AAA car service the mobile app logs you in, and when you need it it will connect you to AAA with one push of a button.

Google Translate. When you are in Northern Michigan and trying to figure out what the hell they are saying, this won't help you. But it will translate almost anything.

Droid Light turns your flash into a useful light.

Foxfi turns your phone into a wifi hub. If you have an wifi only Ipad, and the wifi where you are is non-existent, and the cell signal is good, then your phone can provide wifi to the Ipad.

Google Sky Map. When the tow rig breaks down in Nebraska in the middle of the night you can find out what that bright star really is.

Netflix. Watch movies anywhere.

Tip Calculator. For the math challenged.  Also calculates split bills.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »
AM radio. Some FM in the Cont. Divide area South of Casper.

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
I flip back and forth between Netflix, Google Maps, and AuraQuest Flight Deck which gives you a weather radar view of your GPS location.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
I can't find the Foxfi one.
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch