Author Topic: Ethics among photographers professional behavior  (Read 26563 times)

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
Re: Ethics among photographers professional behavior
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
Slim, these 'rules' are not SCTA 'Rules" rather they are quidelines set forth by SCTA to set guidance and control to the media. I gave some suggestions to JoAnn a couple of years ago when it started to get to be a BIG problem and they adapted some of them.

What is needed, and I hate to say this, is an Association of Photographers. This association will be for Land Speed Photographers and will work with the Media person at SCTA.

Because what, In my opinion, we have at Speed Week is like 4 types of photographers in no special order off the top of my head, Journalist that are there on asignment, freelancers that hope to sell something, art photographers that hope to add to thier portfolio, and web content photographers.

All are legitimate, all can help SCTA, but not all have the experance and know the ropes.

The Association will offer guidelines and direction for new photographers.

For the 'vintage' photographers, maybe a second tier of credentals could be astablished to allow access along with responsibility.

Land Speed Photographers Association
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
Tony:  I put "rule change" in quotes because I knew it wasn't an SCTA rule regarding race vehicles per se.  But - SCTA could certainly adopt a rule (of some kind) to establish the various requirements for photographers on the salt and at EM, and with a rule - enforcement could be more easily accomplished.  The heck of it is that it'd take a handful of "line nazi enforcers" to keep the crowds under control, and more workers means more recruiting and more volunteers and so on.  Would you want to give up your chance to take pictures, or to race, or to sell in your vendor location, or whatever else you like to do at the races - just to try to herd the cats photo shooters that wander all over the place?  Maybe one or two four or five hour shifts for each - that'd be doable by me, just like Nancy and I take our turn as the pit closers one night out of eight.

So - rule change or ruling enactment.  Tomayto or tomahto.  Take your pick.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »
Yes I have the delicate balance of doing exactally what you said,,, I take care of my vendors, I man the booth, I shoot (with assistance from Chick) and it is not easy (we once tried to race also, bad idea).
I am sure you might have noticed a reduction on line stewards this year especially on 1, SCTA call. And that is another story. But with a two tier system a better control is possible. OK I am not a fan of the green vests, but they work for the starters and the missing stewards. So what if there was a second vest, lets say red/orange and that vest you gets beyond the fist four feet past the start line to the 45 degree 'danger zone'. Thoes photographers would have shown experiance and signed the doubler throw down release of 'You might die", that means nothing really.
The Orange vest would also allow access to Patrols positions, with-in reason, access to the tower to the roped off area, only two or three at a time, and real access beyond the three and five mile depending on course.
All of this would require some sort of professionalism, which is hard to prove and harder to inforce. Especially since most photographers consider themselves 'Artists", yea even me.
Which brings us the start of this post.
Go ahead and shoot, just don't be a Richard. Respect each other and be awaire.
And I don't think the 'problem' photographers read this post
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »

In my opinion, we have at Speed Week is like 4 types of photographers in no special order off the top of my head, Journalist that are there on assignment, freelancers that hope to sell something, art photographers that hope to add to their portfolio, and web content photographers.

Tony, I think there are 2 types of photographers missing from your list....and I think they're the most troublesome.  First are the "vests" that are issued (as I understand it) to each team for their own "personal shooter."  Second are the tourists, fans, kids, dogs...ad nauseum...that don't have vests.  If those two groups were somehow magically removed from the people around the lines (go to course 3 or 4 and you'll see what I mean) there would be virtually no problem. 

The "usual suspects" (the experienced photographers) seem to work with each other very well. 

I'm all for the 2-tier system, but I think crowd control has to be addressed as well, which is why Dan and I discussed the second tier of credentialing giving some degree of authority to act, if nothing else, as someone who can suggest (or tell in a very strong way) that a person move his/her carcass back to where it belongs and if the "tellee" isn't cooperative, contact an SCTA official to do like they did with the truck that was parked in no-man's land:

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »
Ray I forgot about the team vests, and to me they shouldn't have them. They are not professionals, OK so maybe there is a team that has a crew following them around for some story and the team is professional, but they have never shot at Speed Week. Is it time for Speed Week Photographer Boot Camp, do we need a Rookie Class for Photographers,, sounds silly to you and me, but if it would slow down some problems, then it is necessary.

And for course 3 and 4, most of the people there drive right by the 'No spectators beyond this point' sign. How do you stop them? Jeff, Buddy, and Jill are overwelmed trying to starters and course stewards.

Another problem I noticed was the I already have a green vest photographer,, and the I made a Media pass with my computer and printer (I talked to a photographer that was proud of that one).

So here is my suggestion for the day: Speed Week Photographer Rookie Class, Saturday morning before Drivers meeting, you get your rookie sticker you get your vest.

Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
Sounds good to me.  Do you wanna put the yellow stripe on the rookie's butts?  Maybe we could assign that task to Pork Pie.  LOL!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Do you wanna put the yellow stripe on the rookie's butts?

Could we put them in the wall if they don't pay attention?  :evil:

Offline Freud

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
Speed Week has expanded to the point that it can't be operated like it was in the '60's.

The event is so much larger, the crowd is now composed of more "first timers" and so

there need to be rules that have never before been needed.

Think of a college or pro football sideline and see if "every family with a player on the team' gets a vest.

The team vest is craziness.  It's now at the point that teams need to get their fotos from an authorized photographer.

Jeff Gordon's family can't be doing fotos of him on the grid.

Just because it wasn't a problem in the past doesn't mean it isn't a problem now.

Times change and so should the access rules.

Purchasing a good digital camera doesn't make one a professional photographer.

Old and slow but with a mind as sharp as a hand held image using a shutter speed of 1/2 a second,

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
I have now attended two Speed Week events, in 2011 and 2013 as an arm-banded crew member of a race team, driving, wrenching, brolly holding, photo taking, "gofer-"ing or whatever was required. I noted the thread prior to the event and commented as an amateur photographer that I thought the friendly reminder was OK and that I personally generally think and look before I walk into an area likely being eyed up for shots, always have done and probably always will do. Again, this year, I paid attention to where I stood, didn't linger long and for the record, don't appear in any of Ray's "trouble shots" once despite 6 trips to various start lines during the week. I do recognise some of the folks pictured and commented as being in shots.

No offense intended, but I will admit to now having a bit more of a problem with the thread's general direction in that it doesn't really address solutions to problems and could be considered as preaching to the choir. That never really fixes anything.

Playing Devil's advocate... As either a spectator or crew member or racer, how the heck would I know what the rules at the start line are? Common sense? Signage? Education? Engineered barriers? Enforcement?

Breaking that down:
  • Well, as we know, common sense isn't all that common.I know what I know but I don't know what I don't know.
  • Signage. I have to admit that the arm band crew members sign is easily overlooked. The bright orange line that appeared or I observed later in the week on one of the courses certainly made one look for some sign as to why the line might be there and I did see that the line for 90% of the population worked the time I was there.
  • Education. I am not familiar with the contents of the racer's package. I haven't been as a pure spectator so don't know whether there is a leaflet indicating what is permitted and what is "streng verboten!" (or strictly forbidden). I would hope there is a leaflet for spectators and an urgent reminder that it be read to ensure the safety of all. Having attended 2 drivers meetings, no mention of start line etiquette was made (other than remove your vehicles from up-course so that racing can begin...not apparently adhered to by one individual).
  • Engineered barriers. There are the yellow tapes. There is a defined start line. There are cones. There was at least one orange line indicating that one was about to cross the line into a restricted area. But what do the yellow tapes mean to whom? Where is this laid out to educate the ignorant (myself alas included)?
  • Enforcement. I did not see any enforcement at all in the 6 starting line visits.

Best practice solutions for this kind of problem rely on the 3 E's, Engineering solutions, Educating folks and then some Enforcement. I may be alas ignorant of all the measures already in place because I haven't seen leaflets or other measures but nowhere in this thread does it outline the present RULES.

Also playing Devil's advocate: If I'm a member of a race team, who tells me where I can and cannot stand, camera in hand or not? Am I not allowed to stand where I I damned well like (other than across the start line or in the other box) and take pictures of my own race team's entry to record the blood, sweat and tears of the exhaustion, adrenaline and not to mention great expense that got them to that point? Is that not acceptable, even if I happen to be in the way of a professional photographer? Am I not allowed to wander the staging lines whilst waiting and take pictures of cars and bikes for my own personal use of considered posting on this or other forums. Really, is that too much to ask?

Admittedly, this doesn't address the initial issues of etiquette between professional photographers on the 45o line up course brought up at the beginning of the thread that seem to be the cause of most distress but it does address why there may be the odd uncredited photographer in the line of sight. I'd think this is to be expected with such an open and accessible event, even if it is the bane of the professional photographer.

Please do educate me if there are indeed written rules handed out to spectators and crew. I'll ask internally too and would be happy to study a copy.

As a non-professional photographer (can I really have a vest, purlease, no not really, they make for bad photos if someone wearing one gets in the way), the dual accredited suggestion makes sense for up course permission with suitable experience and appropriate safety equipment proven and proper education for press folks would go a long way. Perhaps some better signage and more visible barriers for the start "boxes" and more education in the way of required reading leaflets for spectators and crew would help too. Enforcement should be a last resort, I have found elsewhere that polite peer enforcement works best, especially if there are written rules and guidelines and they can be pointed out to the "outlier" individual.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:10:04 PM by SabreTooth »

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
It's now at the point that teams need to get their fotos from an authorized photographer.
Jeff Gordon's family can't be doing fotos of him on the grid.
FREUD

Sorry, but last time I looked, this was an accessible sport for amateurs (and semi-professionals) alike. Speed Week isn't NASCAR, it's amateurs putting their heart and soul into "a few good runs." Who is to forbid the crew taking (safety in mind of course) shots of the event? I can't think most teams accepting the banning of crew members form the area for the sake of professional photographers lines of sight. Most race teams don't have the remaining funds (all spent on racing) to have to buy photos from professionals. They are happy to buy great shots if they have them and can afford them, but as a choice not as a requirement.

Not intended to be inflammatory. I understand where you are coming from but having people in the way is only to be expected and any photographer knows that not every shot is going to be a money shot, poor sight lines are par for the course and to be expected sometimes, however not if ruined by other so-called professionals. I just think that the accessibility of this sport is what makes it so popular.

Best regards,

Jim

Offline Freud

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
Quote:   it's amateurs putting their heart and soul into "a few good runs."

How does that qualify them as anything but being a racer?

If you want shots of the driver strapped in, do it when he does his bail out test.

See how far you get with that from the inspectors.

The racers do not run this event. They are too consumed with their own situation

to set the rules by which the event is conducted.

First timers have no concept of the big picture. (sic)

Just be prepared. There will be changes and when the insurance company

speaks everyone will listen.

FREUD

Since '63

Online jdincau

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
I paid $450 to be on that starting line, perhaps the photographers should too.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
The racers do not run this event. They are too consumed with their own situation to set the rules by which the event is conducted.

First timers have no concept of the big picture. (sic)

Just be prepared. There will be changes and when the insurance company speaks everyone will listen.

FREUD

I have absolutely no issues with enhanced and reasonable (not for me to determine) safety requirements keeping racers, crew, volunteers and spectators safe. I see more issues with banning people because it ruins lines of sight. I understand that this is a problem. I take photos too and want fewer people in them but mixing safety and desire to be able to shoot clean photographs is more of a conflict. Personally, I hope there is sufficient balance of safe freedoms for participants and respect shown to professionals and volunteers trying to make a living or run the event safely. Like most things in life, it's all about compromise and balance (safety excepted, that does need control and rules).

Jim
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:18:26 PM by SabreTooth »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »
Caution: This post may provoke many differing opinions!

I have now attended two Speed Week events, in 2011 and 2013 as an arm-banded crew member of a race team, driving, wrenching, brolly holding, photo taking, "gofer-"ing or whatever was required. I noted the thread prior to the event and commented as an amateur photographer that I thought the friendly reminder was OK and that I personally generally think and look before I walk into an area likely being eyed up for shots, always have done and probably always will do. Again, this year, I paid attention to where I stood, didn't linger long and for the record, don't appear in any of Ray's "trouble shots" once despite 6 trips to various start lines during the week. I do recognise some of the folks pictured and commented as being in shots.

If you're not in the "Bad Manners" shots, probability is that you're one of the good guys.

No offense intended, but I will admit to now having a bit more of a problem with the thread's general direction in that it doesn't really address solutions problems and could be considered as preaching to the choir. That never really fixes anything.

Playing Devil's advocate... As either a spectator or crew member or racer, how the heck would I know what the rules at the start line are? Common sense? Signage? Education? Engineered barriers? Enforcement?

Breaking that down:

Well, as we know, common sense isn't all that common.I know what I know but I don't know what I don't know.

Sorry, but I had to remove your list to respond by item.

Signage. I have to admit that the arm band crew members sign is easily overlooked. The bright orange line that appeared or I observed later in the week on one of the courses certainly made one look for some sign as to why the line might be there and I did see that the line for 90% of the population worked the time I was there.

I didn't have any problem seeing the signs.  But then I try to pay attention to things that could get me in trouble.  Yeah, I know...not everybody does this.  They figger, "I paid (in one way or another) to get here, I can go anywhere I want."  Either that or the "blonde factor" is way off the scale.

Education. I am not familiar with the contents of the racer's package. I haven't been as a pure spectator so don't know whether there is a leaflet indicating what is permitted and what is "streng verboten!" (or strictly forbidden). I would hope there is a leaflet for spectators and an urgent reminder that it be read to ensure the safety of all. Having attended 2 drivers meetings, no mention of start line etiquette was made (other than remove your vehicles from up-course so that racing can begin...not apparently adhered to by one individual).

This will probably p*ss people off, but it seems that the drivers meeting has become more of an opening ceremony than something to educate people or remind 'em of the "rules of the salt."  In other forms of racing, there are 2 separate and distinct events: the drivers meeting (drivers only, conducted by experienced personnel) and the opening ceremony including awards, opening prayer, national anthem, etc.  With Speed Week, especially as large as it is, it's almost impossible to to this...particularly when many people don't arrive until the 2nd or 3rd day.

Engineered barriers. There are the yellow tapes. There is a defined start line. There are cones. There was at least one orange line indicating that one was about to cross the line into a restricted area. But what do the yellow tapes mean to whom? Where is this laid out to educate the ignorant (myself alas included)?

I think this is a case of "we've never had problems in the past, why is it a problem now?".  Freud covered that pretty well, along with what seems to be the fact that SCTA chose not to provide any crowd control people.

Enforcement. I did not see any enforcement at all in the 6 starting line visits.

See above.

Best practice solutions for this kind of problem rely on the 3 E's, Engineering solutions, Educating folks and then some Enforcement. I may be alas ignorant of all the measures already in place because I haven't seen leaflets or other measures but nowhere in this thread does it outline the present RULES.

Also playing Devil's advocate: If I'm a member of a race team, who tells me where I can and cannot stand, camera in hand or not? Am I not allowed to stand where I I damned well like (other than across the start line or in the other box) and take pictures of my own race team's entry to record the blood, sweat and tears of the exhaustion, adrenaline and not to mention great expense that got them to that point? Is that not acceptable, even if I happen to be in the way of a professional photographer? Am I not allowed to wander the staging lines whilst waiting and take pictures of cars and bikes for my own personal use of considered posting on this or other forums. Really, is that too much to ask?

Try that at an NHRA or NASCAR event.  I know that NASCAR bans photographers for life for going where they're not supposed to go or even putting a hand (or camera) thru the chain link fence that separates the grandstands from the track.  But shooting in the staging lanes is fine, as long as that uncommon commodity "common sense" is used.  But there's a rub here.  To get into the staging lanes, you have to cross the yellow tape area.  This is sort of a non sequitur: If it's ok to cross the yellow tape to get into the staging lanes, then it must be ok to cross 'em at the starting line.  Maybe red tape (as if there wasn't enough of that already) for the starting line would underscore the point that it's ok to get into the lanes, but NOT ok to cross the starting line without proper credentials and "training."  However, I have no problem with ANYONE shooting in the staging lanes, as long as that uncommon commodity "common sense" is used.  Words to live by: never turn your back on a moving vehicle...or one that could move in the near future.

Admittedly, this doesn't address the initial issues of etiquette between professional photographers on the 45o line up course brought up at the beginning of the thread that seem to be the cause of most distress but it does address why there may be the odd uncredited photographer in the line of sight. I'd think this is to be expected with such an open and accessible event, even if it is the bane of the professional photographer.

Please do educate me if there are indeed written rules handed out to spectators and crew. I'll ask internally too and would be happy to study a copy.

I'm ashamed to have to plead ignorance here.  I know that when I get my credentials, things like course layout, visits to the timing tower and other stuff is explained, but I've never heard the 45 degree line nor the yellow tape nor other issues of that sort explained.  'Course I have a memory sorta like a steel trap: nothin ever gets out.  Seriously, I have medically-caused memory issues, so it may have been explained and I just don't remember it.  However, I KNOW what the lines mean.  This wasn't my first rodeo.

As a non-professional photographer (can I really have a vest, purlease, no not really, they make for bad photos if someone wearing one gets in the way), the dual accredited suggestion makes sense for up course permission with suitable experience and appropriate safety equipment proven and proper education for press folks would go a long way. Perhaps some better signage and more visible barriers for the start "boxes" and more education in the way of required reading leaflets for spectators and crew would help too. Enforcement should be a last resort, I have found elsewhere that polite peer enforcement works best, especially if there are written rules and guidelines and they can be pointed out to the "outlier" individual.

You've hit the nail on the head.  Required reading is usually interpreted as "that's for the other people.  I don't need to do that."  This is why Tony's suggestion of a mandatory media members' meeting is a good one.  But then there's the problem of media people late arrival, blowing it off ("I know all that stuff already") and so on.  When I've shot sports car racing, media vests were handed out at the close of the mandatory media members meeting.  You couldn't get a vest without attending the meeting.  Yeah, it was tedious, but it made sure that photogs had the information presented to them and if they screwed up, the sanctioning body and the track officials had proof that they'd presented the information and if the shooter violated the rules, it wasn't because the information hadn't been presented to them.

So.  I think SCTA needs to address the issue by having people assigned to monitor the starting lines and other photo op areas so that the rules are followed and if violated, the miscreant should be escorted to Land's End with instructions to Lynda and her crew not to allow them to re-enter the salt without written permission...sorta like the yellow Lee Kennedy tags that get put on cars and require a form of action to return to good graces...like a mandatory "study hall" to revisit the rules for media members.  Another thought: Signage, as you've addressed would be a good idea.  On course one, there was a triangular area enclosed in yellow tape.  It was for non-credentialed photographers so they could get a better shot of the car leaving the line.  But it wasn't marked as such.  Ya had to figger it out on yer own.  That could be easily rectified.

Bottom line:  I think SCTA's decision not to provide crowd control personnel at the starting lines is at the root of this problem.  I dunno what happened to Butch (the deaf dude who pedaled his trike around the staging lanes and starting line, but he served a very important task.  I dunno if he was the Butch listed in the program as deceased (I hope not, he was a real good dude) but if he was, I wish him God Speed and all the best in whatever comes after this earthly vale of tears.  Someone to fill that position is sorely needed.

I'm gonna go put on my Nomex undies just in case of flames.   :roll:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »
I paid $450 to be on that starting line, perhaps the photographers should too.

There's another meet that attempts to do this.  I don't attend it.  Besides...do you want semi-live photos posted here on LR?  If your suggestion were to be implemented, I could do photos of the pits, impound and other areas, but I wouldn't pay a racer's entry fee to provide starting line photos to LR followers for free.