Author Topic: Streaming Audio?  (Read 10302 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Streaming Audio?
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
Without mentioning any sources, I'll state that I've heard several different things about the presence or absence of streaming audio at Speed Week and/or other venues. 

Can anyone confirm what the status on that is?

Thanks,

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Streaming Audio?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »
I understand the SCTA-BNI is taking it "in-house".  A pity, in that I've put a lot of time and some cash into setting up a system for this year that would have been sonically superior to past efforts.

That's okay - it'll work at Wilmington, too.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
I've heard that there was notice of the SCTA planning to stream audio -- on their website, but I don't see it (I just looked -- might have missed it).  But I am whole-heartedly in favor of them providing streaming audio on the internet, and thank them for taking the initiative to pick up where we left off at the end of last season.

Chris and Max worked for hours getting things set up - both the equipment and the "babysitting" of the system while it was running.  I've wanted to provide streaming audio for a few years, and it was in '11 that we first got a bit of it on the air.  Deb Dross (DahMurf) helped from her end of the country, and between those three and me -- and scads of you folks out there in landracing.com-land -- we got things up and running, albeit not perfectly.  You folks helped pay the tab for the data transfer and the interconnect, and most of all -- you gave us the positive feedback to not only continue trying to make it work - but to try different bits and ideas on the air.

Whatever we've done -- I think we've done it well.  If we hadn't broken the ground and had some success -- SCTA/BNI probably wouldn't have felt the need to take the project and move it along and in-house.  I think you all deserve a big round of applause and thanks for keeping all of us at landracing.com moving along to make streaming audio from land speed racing events become a reality.  :cheers: :cheers: Let's hope it really is going to happen this year.

If not -- I've got the equipment right here, ready to go.  But once I'm convinced that SCTA is going to do the work -- I won't pack the gear.  I'd rather have the trailer full of race bikes. :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
But once I'm convinced that SCTA is going to do the work

HEY! Let's MAKE SURE that there is going to be a feed.

"Oh, gee, SCTA didn't get their act together and we left the stuff home."

Riots ensue.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
But once I'm convinced that SCTA is going to do the work

HEY! Let's MAKE SURE that there is going to be a feed.

"Oh, gee, SCTA didn't get their act together and we left the stuff home."

Riots ensue.

Citizens - please return your torches and pitchforks to your ox carts. 

At the end of the day, it's an SCTA-BNI production, and they own the rights to it.  They have been generous letting us upload their salt broadcast.  Legally, or technically, or morally, they could have asked us not to do it, and we'd have been obliged to follow their request.

The ball is in SCTA-BNI's court.

If they don't/can't/won't, and can let us know before we Midwesterners start our trek, we'll beg/borrow/steal/rent a wi/fi hot spot and if Jon can bring the gear, I'll make it go.

. . . between runs, of course . . .

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
It will be a HUGE bummer if they drop the ball. Sounds like no questions were asked of the current system that works? WTF?! :|

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
Chris, I don't think you're right about whether SCTA/BNI could have asked us to not broadcast their radio transmissions and expect us to comply because of the rule of law.  CB radio is not private nor owned.  Once it's been broadcast -- it's in the public domain and can be listened to by anyone -- and used, as he might, by anyone.  Ditto things broadcast on a broadcast station that operates on an unlicensed radio station.  I will admit that I don't know for sure if the AM and FM stations the SCTA has used are licensed, but I've never heard anything remotely like either an announcement of the station license information or even call letters -- so I've been under the impression that the transmissions are not licensed.

Now -- the FM two-way radios.  Are they licensed?  I don't know.  I'm not privy to any license documents that the group might have.  If, indeed, there are licenses, then what is being transmitted on the two way radios is "private", whether or not that restriction is announced.  However, for the sake of this discussion, I didn't intend on nor ever try to broadcast/stream the FM transmissions.

Ergo -- no, I don't think they own the rights to what's broadcast at the salt.  I will be glad to be shown that I am wrong.  But - I don't think I am wrong.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
Those of us out here, like myself this year, that are stuck in the salt mine, as opposed to being with you on the salt flats, really depend on the streaming broadcast in order to keep up with what's happening.

I hope, that no matter what happens, the show goes on, I don't care who's at the microphone as long as the reporting goes on.

Heck fire, I'd probably play it if I was there.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »
Citizens - please return your torches and pitchforks to your ox carts. 

Chris, we haven't met, yet you know me! :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Texican

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
My WAG would be that someone decided this could be a revenue source; as in selling advertising.

Any time there is a question of why?  Just follow the Dollar.

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
At SpeedWeek 2011 we streamed HD video and audio from the push truck using YouStream's free broadcast app.  I used my Droid and Xoom.  The Xoom was set up on the dash where I use it for a nav unit also.  I pulled the truck up facing the pits and left the FM radio on so friends could tune in and see what we were doing with the car and listen to the CB and or the FM broadcast.  I also broadcast from the smartphone Droid and did some walkarounds in the pits and staging.  The free app makes you watch 15 second commercials every hour or so.  YouStream has a pay app as well.  No commercials and some other goodies not available on the free version.  Both versions allow you to save the entire session on the server and they keep it for 30 days, I think.  You can download your broadcast each evening or when you get home.

The PSMCDR event in Michigan is broadcast in this manner.  I have a couple of logins so I can broadcast multiple cams at once.  I would like to try putting a cam phone on a tripod and catch the cars coming to or going away from mile markers.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
So the SCTA is going to stream it? I liked how this site would stream it for my buddies that have been to the salt once and I tell them about the stream and they have listened to it the last couple of years or so. Heck, I remember coming home on my lunch break and listening to the stream from this site and hearing some VERY fast speeds and getting goose bumps and then going back to work and telling everyone what was going on.

If they are going to 'stream' it, can they bring Glen back? I know that he was a GREAT resource of info before something happened.

Chris
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
I've gotta leave the shop for a dentist appointment - but will take time to confirm that SCTA/BNI has confirmed to me that they're intending to provide live streaming of the audio that's on the FM broadcast out at the salt.  The FM will carry the information for the public to hear - and the CB will be for communications from officials to crews/racers.  CB won't have times and stuff like that, I believe.

That's it -- gotta go.  C U later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
Thanks Slim!
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline creekrat

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
Finally getting back to the salt for 2013. Pray for me, driving my wife's Lexus and have not told her about the salt. ( she will be with me )
Do they still broadcast on cb radio?