Author Topic: M Records being moved to A? What's the straight scoop?  (Read 14565 times)

rzatron

M Records being moved to A? What's the straight scoop?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 01:17:40 PM »
I don't think a 4 cyl. 50cc bike ever raced.  I know suzuki had a triple but it would have required 16 sps, the 14sp from teh twin wasn't enough!

Thanks for the kriedler link.  I disagree that the single is supperior to the multi.  With the same level of two stoke technology available Im sure someone could cook up a 30-35 hp 50cc with a 25,000 -25,300 rpm powerband.

Heres another 50 link; www.lump-proof.com

Also there is no displacement break in GP's for twins you are thinking of Superbike.  They do get a weight break however.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 10:04:10 PM »
No factory ever made a four cyl. fifty.  Suzuki made ,but never raced, a three cyl. fifty.  Van Veen and Bultaco got their fifties to a level that was a lot superior to anything Honda or Suzuki produced in the sixties.  At the end of the 66' GP season the FIM put paid to the multis by ruling for 67' 50s had to be single cyl. six speeds.  Honda and Suzuki never came back to that class.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
PROTECTION ?
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 06:17:55 AM »
** "Protection is where you find it.
At least "The world's fastest Indian" is safe in the Fuel Class from all those deadly "Push Rod " motors that are slower by law.
One answer to the higher speeds was to just leave the mention of the records out of the book for awhile.
Who makes those laws anyway ?
Just wondering out loud again."

** Taken from a soon to be published article in a magazine near you.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline tomsmith

JackD "[he has] best posture and nice legs"
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 11:38:22 AM »
It took a while, but I may have figured it out.  Jack is no doubt referring to the picture of my svelte backside in the book "The Fastest Motorcycles on Earth" by Tom Murphy, who was kind enough to send me a copy of the picture.  After years of trying to have muscles in my arms, I can proudly announce that I am now 100 pounds heavier than my 124 pounds in 1952.  Unfortunately, it is mostly in my stomach.  The good news is that I don't need to add weight to my bike any more - both wheels are now firmly planted on the ground.   But my low drag stick shape is now a turbulent beach ball.

It looks like SCTA/BNI bike classes may have caused such rancor that they'll have to zero the records out and start all over in order to antagonize everyone.  It would be a shame to leave someone happy, or at least able to figure out what class they are in (this year).  I hope to talk my wife into going to Bonneville this year to watch the fist fights and "knock down and drag outs" over classifications.  And maybe see an actual speed run or two.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TYPICAL
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »
Don't flatter your self Mr. Smith..
I wasn't singling you out because most bikers take care of that just fine.
 It is the nature of the breed and it helps a lot to understand it.
He did in earlier days before the UJM was perfected, establish some lessons that apply
 to today if you just listen.
 The fact that somebody included it in a book is testimony to it's study value.
It is of great benefit to listen to your elders.
 They have matured enough and are allowed to laugh at their mistakes enough share
them with you so you are less likely to repeat.
Remember it is not the speed that is the mark but the % over stock that is the real measure.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2006, 06:45:02 PM »
This is saving me lots of work/money/time - I don't even have to consider completion of the bike now. What's the point, there will be new classes, new interpretations before it's done no matter what, and then anything I manage to accomplish can be voided by committee and made to disappear? If I only want to see how fast it will go, I can just build it as a drag bike and run it at Maxton.

Just curious: if a record set legally at the time, and never beaten or protested can be retro-actively trashed, why is it called a record? What except the length of the interval separates it from "fast time of the day"?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WHAT A RIOT
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2006, 07:21:33 PM »
Panic
Are you trying to incite me to riot ?
TOO LATE
You are just one of the victims of the adminosphere mentality that prevails among the rulers and is so out of touch with real records and reality.

"We know SCTA has a communication problem but we are not going to talk to the membership about it."

Offline k.h.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2006, 10:29:59 PM »
I'm submitting the rules committee's action on M to the Guiness Book of Records as the world's greatest SNAFU in amateur motorsports.

And taking up the growing of record giant pumpkins as an alternative to LSR.  No M/C rules committee to pull the rug out from under fair-minded competitors.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THE GREAT PUMPKIN
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 11:07:06 PM »
It would appear the rule changes were inspired by the ancient writings of the Great Pumpkin and only shared by a few on the Short Bus.
I guess we will be hearing from the rulers soon.

"Mistakes can be corrected and forgiven, lies are forever."