Author Topic: WeatherTech floor mats for Bonneville?  (Read 4595 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
WeatherTech floor mats for Bonneville?
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:09:29 AM »
I am sure everyone has been inundated with ads for Weathertech custom floor mats for their car as I have. I was thinking about buying a pair for my F-150 truck thinking they will help with the salt problem at Bonneville. Spendy at $100 a pair though.

www.w

Does anyone have any experience with them? Would they help keep salt off the carpet? I have always used the stick-on plastic carpet protector, but that is time consuming to install and always ends up in a ball in the foot well.

Any comments on this?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: WeatherTech floor mats for Bonneville?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:06:42 AM »
 I bought a pair of brushes...white and yellow with yellow bristles from the $2 shop at the end of town...the bristles are about 3inches long and they have a handle like a trowel they were perfect , 2 seconds to knock all the salt of the soles of whatever shoes I was wearing and we had very little in the car. In muy car at home I have big 4wd mats which have a lip around them, they are great for keeping salt contained....a combo of the two I say...the good thing about the brushes I got in Wendover is the handle hooks over the arm rest...
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
Don I have Weather Tech in my Suburban. They do an excellent job of keeping the salt out of my carpets.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
I have the Weather Tech mats in my 2004 Silverado crew cab. the fronts are really good for the salt. I don't even put anything under them any longer. they keep the salt contained very well. The rear, which is one long mat that goes across both sides, is not as good as the front. It just doesn't lay down right. I would highly recommend the front set. The rears are OK and better than the OE mats, but they could be better.
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline Ken Yooper

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
I have never purchased a Weather Tech floor mat but have heard nothing but good things about them.  Today at Wally's Goodyear and Kraco were priced at $22 and the Michelins were $28.  I use some ten year old mats -Rubbermaid as I remember and they work well.   

Man, you can buy a lot of beer for a hundred bucks - just putting things into perspective - a common currency if you will -  LOL
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  If it's not worth doing right then it's probably not worth doing at all.  (Andy Granatelli in Gasoline Alley 1964)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »
Any mat will do if you use 3" clear packing tape to line everything. Do the pedals too. Been doing it for 25 years and never have a problem with salty truck or car....good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »
I bought a set of cheap but heavy duty rubber floor mats from Big Lots for $20 and put them in whatever I happen to be renting to drive to Bonneville.  They're actually really nice for the price... can't remember the brand though.  They're really thick and heavy duty and have done a great job keeping the carpet mostly clean.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
I use a mat with a turned up edge(Weather Tech?). Works great - I will be trying JD's tape deal this year under the mats.

Remember to cover the pedals - you may end up using a small screw driver to clean out the ridges on the pedal pads.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jdincau

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Or you could do as I did and order the truck with rubber mats instead of carpet.

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline vette#128

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »
I tear up black plastic trash bags and duct tape them in place over the carpet (tape to plastic moulding and console) , and then put the stock Silverado rubber floor mats on top to hold the plastic down..... do that in the back too. Cheap and never had a clean-up problem.
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I thought maybe they were going to make Weather Tech floor mats with Bonneville Salt Flats on them or something similar. Gotta have the taped down garbage bags for sure

Offline salt27

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
I use blue painters tape on the first layer and duct tape over that for durability.

It makes for less sticky residue.

Don

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
Sorta like MTKAWBOY, I thot maybe Weather Tech  had become the "Official Floor Mat" of the Bonneville National Speed Trials.

I see the Weather Tech guy standing proudly in front of his factory in some Sporty Car magazine ads and now I know what he makes in the joint.

Heck, I buy my floor mats at BIG LOTS.
(Come from a place called China, that guy don't look Chinese).
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline mstrdinan

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
''GAFFERS TAPE'' AT AMAZON LEAVES NO RESIDUE  WORKS REALLY WELL   20 DOLLARS FOR 60 YARDS    POSSIBLY PURCHACE LOCALY AT HOME DEPOT OR A GUITAR TYPE STORE

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
  We used [Gaffer's tape] actually went to Lowes/Home Depot and got the film that the realtors put on your house carpet for home showings. Taped the edges and it worked great. With a little care you can get in and out and not have it wad up. Still have enough left on the roll for this year. We also put it on the windscreen like a tearoff when we tow back to the pits to keep from salt blasting it. No residue and also cover the air intake on the lakester after we destroyed a turbo by filling it with salt on the tow back. Live and learn.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]