Author Topic: World of Speed 2013  (Read 19992 times)

Offline USFRAMONTE

World of Speed 2013
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:15:02 AM »
We are trying something new at World of Speed this year.  We have decided to feature a different style or marque of vehicle each year.
For this year we have chosen the Belly Tank Lakester as the feature vehicle.  We invite anyone that has one of these unique vehicles to bring it to World of Speed.  We welcome full competition cars, street driven, non-running, under construction, or old retired race cars, in short any and all types of Belly Tanks.  We will be marking off a special area of the pits for all the vehicles to park together.

There will be more information coming along in the next few days.  Please let anyone you know that has one of these cars about this.

Monte W.
USFRA Vice President.

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: World of Speed 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:25:29 AM »
To display a non-running lakester, would there be any fee in addition to the $20/day ticket price? Does it matter whether it's built from an actual tank or a fiberglas copy (see my avatar)?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »
Jack,
Any Tank car is welcome.  For those bringing one to race, the applicable entry fee will be required. Anyone bringing one for display only, will be allowed in free of charge.  We are working on some
type of participant award as well.
We would love to have you come out and bring your car.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:36:56 AM »
Monte, that is a very good idea.

Most race tracks do a historic "Marque" event of some sort during the season, and they tend to bump attendance and press coverage.

By putting together what could well become the world's largest display of bellytank lakesters and getting the press releases out, this could really raise the profile of WOS.  The only fault I see is that Lakesters are a focus unique to LSR.  Marques, on the other hand, could prove to be a valuable outreach for USFRA.

Consider a UK event next year?  5 of the 6 initial inductees into the 200 mph club were British.  Austin-Healey, MG, Triumph - they ALL have car clubs here in the states that are rife with fanatics, and they're always looking for group vacation destinations and filler for their monthly newsletters.  You can get a boatload of free publicity out of those organizations.  Think of the extra folks the Australian Healey team alone drew to the event in 2009.  That was just two cars, and the dinner event at the community center was wall to wall.

I'd lump all three marques together - You could do the same thing with Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac.  A Studebaker event would be a gim'me, a Mopar focused event.  All of these marques have grass roots clubs that will help you get the word out.

Part of the problem with LSR promotion is that it tends to be too insular - a lot of preaching to the converted, if you will.  The same announcements appear in the same publications year after year.  You could easily turn this into an outreach, one marque at a time, and utilize the resources of numerous organizations to drive attendance and interest.

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Chris,
Thanks for the encouraging words. The credit for the idea goes to Dennis Sullivan, (he runs a street roadster).  Because the World of Speed is held in September, and school has started by then, our
spectator counts are lower than we would like. We hope this new idea will meet two objectives in one step.  As you mentioned, raise the profile of World of Speed and increase the spectator count.  The ideas you listed are very much appreciated and will be incorporated in the coming years.
Without letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak, we are already working with a major motorcycle
manufacturer for 2014 and it looks to be possible to make it happen.
We are excited to see how many Belly Tanks will show up this year.  I realize we are getting a late start
on this and I'll take the blame for that.  I was supposed to post this information some time ago.....go
figure.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »
Priorities, Monte -- gotta keep your priorities sorted.  After all -- there's time to post things like the news of a belly tank get-together -- and there are times when it's more important to think up lame silly one-liners for the Stupid Joke topic.  Make sure you do the important stuff first, before letting the dull and workaday items waste your time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »
Jon,
That gave me a good chuckle, however other club members may not support that idea.  Speaking of
support.....We have always appreciated the support you and Nancy have given the USFRA over the
years. Both with your attendance at our event and with the Landracing web site.  It is nice to have
such a popular place to post information like this.  Thank you, thank you!
Monte.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »
Monte, does this nice stuff about us mean you're going to ask me to take of toilets for you guys, too?  Flattery can get you lots of stuff -- but do you really want a new POPP*? 

*For those of you that don't know, my official SCTA/BNI volunteer job title is just that -- POPP.  It stands for "Potentate of Porta Potties".  The third letter is NOT repeat NOT an "o", it's a "p".  Just in case you all wondered.

I guess while I'm on the subject of toilets, stay tuned to this forum for information about renting private toilets and sinks for Bonneville events this year.  Trevor Inman from Honey Buckets will be posting the costs and other information any day.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
Monte, we will have the lakester there, but won't try to park with the belly boys...

Chris, they already have VWs there... hopefully nobody tries to restart a war  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
Humm.....maybe we should provide some water balloons....

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »
Chris, they already have VWs there... hopefully nobody tries to restart a war  :roll:

Are you still in contact with the undersecretary to Chancellor Pork Pie?

Humm.....maybe we should provide some water balloons....

Utah neutrality in this conflict prohibits overt weapons sales, but perhaps a lend/lease program could be made to work . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
I hadn't thought much about the fact that tanks and vehicles from Germany would be on the salt at the same time.
That is why we post here, to get all the angles covered.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
The Bockscar will be ready to defend the USA :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
The Bockscar will be ready to defend the USA :cheers:

....and if necessary with a German driver inside.... :cheers:

...by the way....there are a few German's who knows the different between  a (belly) tank, a (war) tank and a belly (tank)..... :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
That is the true spirit of land speed racing....detente between nations and peoples.  Long live the
Bonneville Salt Flats!!