Author Topic: Fire Systems  (Read 14446 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
Re: Fire Systems
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »
Yes, I agree with the needing it part you absolutely want it to work in case you intentionally pull it. My dad discharged one in the S10 one time. That was fun..... I would think they are ok. Biggest Question is who will tag them and are the Aluminum bottles OK to use for SCTA events?

Otherwise I did find some bottles on line for $475 I think.
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
  Burton, if I recall correctly, the "yellow" Flameout units werE indeed found to be defective by design and outlawed by the SCTA four or five years ago because they failed to discharge on command.  The Stroud units of that Era,;however, were legal but un-refillable.
 Please don't quote me as my memory is fading, but DO NOT Misunderstand  THE WORTHINESS OF YOUR CURRENT STROUD BOTTLES WITHOT CaLLING BOB Stroud.
  Other than that, you have been given MORE than enough advice, so do us all all a favor, buy a rule book and call the Damn Manufacturer rather than ask your fellow racers to define what somewhow eludes your apprehension........
                      Sign  me:  and yes I am a asshole.                          Bob............

Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
Ok, no chance this thread will grow to 100 pages!

Bob, your memory seems pretty good to me. I struggle with yesterday!

Burton good luck and let us know what finally decide to due.

BR

Burton, if I recall correctly, the "yellow" Flameout units werE indeed found to be defective by design and outlawed by the SCTA four or five years ago because they failed to discharge on command.  The Stroud units of that Era,;however, were legal but un-refillable.
 Please don't quote me as my memory is fading, but DO NOT Misunderstand  THE WORTHINESS OF YOUR CURRENT STROUD BOTTLES WITHOT CaLLING BOB Stroud.
  Other than that, you have been given MORE than enough advice, so do us all all a favor, buy a rule book and call the Dodge Manufacturer rather than ask your fellow racers to define what somewhow eludes your apprehension........
                      Sign  me:  and yes I am a Alfa.                          Bob............

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Liberty Garage

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »
I would research using a Halon fire system in a confined space streamliner. Everything I have been told by extinguisher people is that Halon is deadly in a confined space. I use Cold Fire in my lakester.
 Liberty Garage  #221

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »
  Liberty, I hope you have figured out how to steer with soap in your face. Most lakesters use a fresh air system to breathe...   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
Gentlemen,

Bottles are sent back to Bob at Stroud to see if he can recover the Halon and put it in new bottles. If this helps save some $$ thats cool. If not we tried.
Thanks for the advice. Parachutes were also sent back to him to take a look, They were new and never used but???
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Burton:

If that plan does not work out let me know. Let me know I may can help you with a new FE-36 System.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »
I'd trust any dealings with Bob Stroud.

Had two.  Both came out fine with no charge.  Recommend him to anyone.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 08:26:46 PM »
I was visiting with the FireBottle folks today at their shop. I brought with me six fire systems to get re-certified. I learned something today that I thought I would pass on. All systems regardless of the manufacturer has to be SFI certified to be approved by any sanctioning body. SFI has added an additional requirement from what I understand. Bottles older than six years olds can no longer be re-certified by the fire system company. The cert is for two years. This is a SFI requirement not the fire systems company. I get a lot of questions on used systems on RacingJunk, eBay or Craig's list. I know we all shop these site to try and save a buck. Be warned, if you buy someone's used system and it is 4 years old, you will only be able to get it certified for one 2 year term. Keep this in mind when you are shopping for used fire systems.

While we talking we were discussing the various water based systems out there. The guys at FireBottle brought up a good point. What if the system soaks the driver in this water based solution and the fire does not go out. It seems that the wet driver's suit would have diminished capacity to insulate the driver from the heat. The thought is the wet suit will heat quickly and the moister will transfer the heat directly to the skin leading to scald burns. I have no experience with these wet systems perhaps the scientific facts contradict our concern. If someone has experience with what happens, if anything, to a driver's suit if it gets soaked and exposed to fire please let me know.

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
Cold fire demo with magnesium. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x65VWvjLFSY

Maybe it IS just soapy water but after looking at several videos on fire knockdown with magnesium, tires, fuel, etc, I'm convinced it works. Coldfire and others like it are approved by the sanctioning bodies, good enough for me.

Sounds like they are just trying to push their product.

I have Coldfire in all my water extinguishers in the shop.

YMMV
Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
Please alert me to where in Section 3Q these 6-year and/or SFI requirements are.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 01:44:24 PM »
  Well now, isn't that SFI rule just dandy.
  While I applaud the SFI for its safety standards, herein lies a couple of problems:
  #1 The SFI is supported by fees that the manufacturers pay them (and WE end up paying), hence they are working hand in hand with the manufacturers of said products (what's good for  the Hen is good for the Rooster)
  #2 In the case of Halon Fire Bottles, Halon is a GAS and is not going to change its chemical makeup in a controlled atmosphere (the fire bottle) nor is it a caustic gas that can corrode the inside of the bottle. It is not going to spoil with age and being under pressure it isn't going to be compromised by anything else.
  #3 Why would the SFI (who amongst other things require most racing bodies require new Fire Suits periodically for no apparent reason) require us to buy new helmets and seat belts because of supposed "material deterioration" rather than allowing Recertification by the manufacturers?
  As I stated already, I applaud the SFI and Safety Equipment Industry for their research and development of better equipment, but I question the need for SFI dating WITHOUT published proof of need.
                                                                                                                                                                     Bob Drury
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:47:20 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
Please alert me to where in Section 3Q these 6-year and/or SFI requirements are.

Stan:

I was told this by my OEM and wanted to throw it out there to see if you all agree or is it rumor. All I know is my 2007 bottles came back un-certified because they were rejected for being over 6 years old. My 2011 bottles were certified no problem.  They are FE-36and not the wet systems that have some corrosive properties. The salt is bad enough, I don't need my fire system adding to the corrosion problem.  I was told it was not an OEM requirement but an SFI regulation. I was caught off guard. If it is in fact true, which it seemed pretty real to me, then my friends in the LSR world should know. I would not want someone to buy someone's five year old bottle thinking they can get it certified for two years. Not criticizing the SFI or regulation simply offering information. I do not know how it effects the do-it-yourself refill systems out there.

My 2 cents

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
I think the SCTA requires SFI certification for "STANDARDS" but does not require re-certs for time as in other forms of racing, scattershields, fire suits, hans devices, padding, etc.

I think with the new rules they are in collusion with mfgs. to sell more product, therefore more fees to SFI, more cost to the racers.

If the SCTA goes to time re-certs on all of the above, tire speed rating, tire age, on and on, I and probably a lot of others won't be able to afford to race.

JMHO
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 04:24:11 PM »
I just reread the revised 3Q Section and I don't see any of the concerns or acts of collusion mentioned above.  One manufacturer may want to put a time limit on their product certification (for reasons unknown), but I don't see it in the rules.  And I don't see one manufacturer dictating policy in the SCTA.