Author Topic: Kick it off- Safety in general  (Read 12616 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Kick it off- Safety in general
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Thought I would help get this one rolling by reposting the above link. There have been many posts on the forum the show folks in some hazardous situations and using unsafe practices in and around the shop. As with any motorsport, there are hazards that are hard to avoid, but armed with a little knowledge and forethought we can enjoy these activites injury free.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:54:07 AM by Captthundarr »
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Kick it off
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »
Cap't
 Just a thought. Maybe change the subject to "Kick it off-welding safety". Then newcomers will have some idea of what it pertains to rather than having to click on it to find out.

JMHO
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Kick it off- Safety in general
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Thanks Ron. I'll change it to "Safety in general" since thats basically what the page is about.
 Thanks again.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
First safety item is to have several fire extinguisher readily available,know where they are,and clearly accesable. To late to look for the fire extinguisher when the shop or car is on fire.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
One ext. hanging in front of the vehicle's stall for the two car garage, one in the back seat of the pickup (for mobile as well as when I'm in the garage), one on the bench next to the truck.  Total of four.  Fire extinguishers are cheaper than garages or vehicles or skin grafts.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »
Below is a link with guidelines for placement and inspection of home /shop fire extiguishers. Check them monthly.

http://www.windsorfire.com/divisions-prevention-home-fire-extinguisher-guidelines

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
Let's see what happens when I put this link here:

http://www.landracing.com/docs/phosgene_main.jpg

Yeah, that's what I wanted - just the article, not the rest of the site.  Nothing wrong with putting the site here, but I guess maybe we should keep this topic on the safety items per se, not the background.

Here's the label of the can:

http://www.landracing.com/docs/phosgene_label.jpg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:29:45 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »
Every place I've worked required a hot work permit before any welding could take place. Most businesses prefer that they not burn to the ground.
You may not think you need this level of protection, but you don't want the garage and house burning either.

Hot work permit required for: Welding, grinding, plasma cutting, anything that makes a spark.
35 feet of clear space required. No flammables. Non movable flammables covered with a fire resistant cover.
Sufficient Fire extinguishers at the location. Fire extinguishers from the department cannot be used. Separate person on fire watch not involved with the work. Stays for 30 minutes after work is done.
Work permits are not issued for areas that have explosives, stored flammable liquids, wood dust, propane, lint, oily rags, etc.
Personal protective equipment: Proper helmet and lens, ventilation, screens to protect other workers from viewing the arc.

And that's the tip of the iceberg. Look up hot work permits it you want to see the whole dance and show.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
I also use hot work permits at work, and needless to say, it does make one more mindful of fabricating at home. However, following all these requirements we are accustomed to at work, would put 95% of racers and home fabricators out of a place to work.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
The only place we don't need a "Hot work permit" in the power plant is the weld shop. A lot of times I'll use a hacksaw to not get a permit for a cut off grinding wheel. (Too many eyes)  :-o Safety is number 1 and at this time we have 7 years without a lost time accident. It makes you think at home and at the race track too..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
I'm the safety, Health, and Environmental manager at my plant. My facility is a large bakery, concrete, cinderblock and stainless steel everywhere except the warehouse and storage freezers and our hot work permit is 3 pages long. My thoughts for the home shop "fire watch" are simple but easily forgotten / overlooked.

Keep the floor swept, be mindfull that sparks jump, bounce and roll. And be aware of what is under, behind and next to the item being welded, ground or cut (plasma). Remeber that spray cans can and will explode.

Just some thoughts, having been ignited as a young man and would rather not be cooked again.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »
A clean shop is a safe shop.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »
Mine is kinda dangerous I guess.....

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Turbofan

• New folks
  • Martin
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
That 35 foot rule is something to think about.  I have something to learn everywhere I turn on this forum.  One additional thought I have on fire extinguishers:  I have one at the electrical sub panel in my shop/garage and one at each sub panel in our office.  You might have an 'event' that you need to run and cut the power, and then you can return to the scene with the extinguisher already in hand. 
35 feet is a long way.  I gotta work on that. 
"Live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this than some people do in a lifetime"... and on a bike as slow as mine, the mile does seem to take 5 minutes!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
Turbofan, most fire codes state a maximum of 75 feet in general industry which is what management goes by. More is always better especially near high risk work areas. My "shop" is 18 by 24 and there are 2 extinguishers and a water hose. Not to mention the beer :-D