Author Topic: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!  (Read 20555 times)

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
Re: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:19 PM »
Toter for sale.....

Help fund our land racing .....

We need money too...

We need to go to the Cook Shootout...   ... Want to hear that hemi for 6 miles..

bob

:-D

Offline RichFox

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
So what is "unseemly" about me putting the word out that my dad could use help?

"If you don't ask, the answer is always no."
To answer your question. Maybe it's a generational thing. I don't mind giving money to the VFW once in a while. I don't mind sending some money to this site, for services rendered. But I don't like being asked for money in the grocery store parking lot by a homeless person. And I would never think of asking anyone for money to pay for my racing. A sponsor is usually selling something. But not always. I never had a sponsor. But I did get some good deals from shops at which I spent plenty of money. I didn't ask for any discount. It was offered. Kent Fuller's car is the first I have heard of doing this "Kick Start" deal. He did some work for me when his shop was in Belmont. Charged me for it, to.  More power to you if you raise some cash. For me, I would as soon ask for money to go to Vegas as Wendover.

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »
Hey Rich...

I need to go to Wells...

Does that count...

What if I said Please.. ?

:-D

bob

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »

"If you don't ask, the answer is always no."
To answer your question. Maybe it's a generational thing. I don't mind giving money to the VFW once in a while. I don't mind sending some money to this site, for services rendered. But I don't like being asked for money in the grocery store parking lot by a homeless person. And I would never think of asking anyone for money to pay for my racing. A sponsor is usually selling something. But not always. I never had a sponsor. But I did get some good deals from shops at which I spent plenty of money. I didn't ask for any discount. It was offered. Kent Fuller's car is the first I have heard of doing this "Kick Start" deal. He did some work for me when his shop was in Belmont. Charged me for it, to.  More power to you if you raise some cash. For me, I would as soon ask for money to go to Vegas as Wendover.

Perhaps you didn't notice on the website where I am offering merchandise in exchange for contributions. Perhaps you should open your eyes before you open your mouth.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »
Perhaps you noticed that I was answering your question. Yes I did see your web site. My answer still stands.

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
Perhaps you noticed that I was answering your question. Yes I did see your web site. My answer still stands.

Considering you've read the website and still equate it with a homeless man begging for money only leads me to conclude that you are a rather simple minded person. I appreciate your comments nontheless, however unfounded they may be. If you can't see the positive effort of a son trying to help his father then please move along. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Offline dw230

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »
Gentlemen - please  :-D

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
Gentlemen - please  :-D

DW

Thank you for interjecting. We were getting off topic. BTW I should show you the pictures of my "White Goose Bar Racing" Yamaha R6. Mike Manghelli was nice enough to give me some decals for it. It was looking good but sadly I took a nasty spill at Buttonwillow raceway in February

Offline dw230

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »
Ryan,

You and your Dad are valued members of the White Goose Bar team. Many people make comments without knowing the players. Brad's committment to Jack and Rick show the passion many of us have for LSR. Living in Modesto, traveling to San Jose to help Jack and then to Lancaster to help Rick are the things that mean so much and are priceless.

If you fell on the the decal we can provide a replacement,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Haha thanks. I definitely fell on the decal... and much more. Ill try to send you some pictures later tonight

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »

three weeks ago 3 people died, 260 were injured with more than a dozen people losing limbs.
people obviously have differing opinions on what constitutes "a person who could use help"...

Offline bak189

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
Jo Maoma.....Well said........................................

DW...........How are you doing?..........and do tell us the dollar amount you donated, as it might inspire others...................
Question authority.....always

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
Ryan,

Sounds like your hitting a dead end with fellow racers. Its an interesting approach, just the wrong audience.

I drag raced off and on for 10 years and never once thought of asking another racer for help money or parts wise. On my dental floss budget if I broke something or couldnt afford a race I didnt go. I had offers at times when I was at the track from fellow racers when I broke something from transmissions to complete engines when I grenaded mine. It helped that my folks were long time racers and I worked at a local perfomance shop at the time and knew lots of racers. People assumed that being that I worked for the perfomance store that I had a trailer full of spare parts and money provided to go racing. Not the case. I didnt have the moeny to fix my stuff right away so I certainly wasnt going to take the chance of borrowing somebodies elses stuff and possibly hurt it too. Johnny Loper never gave me a dime to go racing nor a free part for my car. Sure he loaned me some money to buy my first race car and I paid every bit back with interest. I couldnt even get the parts reps from companies like Comp Cams, Holley, MSD etc to help me out with parts. They were too afraid to upset Johnny and possibly ( in their eyes ) lose his business. Bottom line, i scraped and scrimped to get my cars together ( as do so many racers ) and get to a race. I worked long and hard for everything little thing I had in my car and every race I went to. Thats probably why it was so devastating 9 years ago when my operation was stolen and never recovered. If I do make the big decision and make that leap to building a LSR, itll be on a similar dental floss budget as I ran the drag car on and if I cant afford a weekend at El Mo or the salt, I wont go until I can.

Agian I do admire your approach, just wansnt the right people to approach. As someone suggested, an email campaign amongst family and friends could work. I once raised 3k for a marathon I ran with the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. As you said youll never know if you dont ask. Good luck

Offline RichFox

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
Actually I have $3000 in parts in one car, not mine, that has been well covered on this site. He didn't ask. I offered. A few years ago I loaned out my whole car, trailer, truck, fire suit, and tools to a friend and cancer survivor, so that he could go to Bonneville a couple of times. Paid the entry too. I got something out of that. A WOS T shirt. Seemed like a good deal at the time.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:28:32 PM by RichFox »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
Virtually everyone land speed racing is self funded and in all probability underfunded.   To expect them to fund someone else's racing is not realistic.   

Joe