Author Topic: any updates on Ed Shadle NAE jetcar at El Mirage?  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
any updates on Ed Shadle NAE jetcar at El Mirage?
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:16:54 PM »
Has anybody heard any news on Eds car at El Mirage today? I thought he was going to do some runs.

Offline mike brauer

• New folks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:48:34 PM »
Chanel 11 was up there all day  . at 9:00 car was still up on jack stands ??????? don't know if they ever ran.
200mph club muroc
200mph club el-mirage
200mph club bonneville

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 04:12:38 PM »
Hi Mike, didja ever find tires? I didn't hear back from you.

Dave

Offline mike brauer

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »
no not yet . still looking . we have a set now . we will be there this weekend .it sure would be nice to have a new set though . my dad is very worried about the tire deal . we have a lot of money put in our cars for them just to sit in the shop and rot ........
200mph club muroc
200mph club el-mirage
200mph club bonneville

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 05:28:46 PM »
I'll be out of town this weekend so I can't make it to the lakes meet. Feel free to give me a call next week.

Dave

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »
We don't hava a tire problem...we have a speed problem....JD.. see you on the 1.3 mile walk, Mike...........
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
update
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:26:39 PM »
George said he made one run at about 100 mph in two days.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mike brauer

• New folks
course walk
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 08:40:54 PM »
Hello there JD.  I believe I owe you a beer from the last race on the course walk.  Hope you bring your race car.

See you Saturday night.
200mph club muroc
200mph club el-mirage
200mph club bonneville

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 12:56:55 AM »
1 run at 100mph? I do that with my truck pulling a trailer each Sunday!

Mike, looks like I'll be at the races on Sunday (change of plans, as usual), give me a call on my cell, I'll give you a tour of the (fabulous) junkyard!

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
Callaway's archives tour
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 04:11:57 PM »
Hey Dave-
What time does the tour start? Count me in!

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 04:47:57 PM »
Hi Nick, anytime is good! As long as I have a cold beverage in my hand, I'm a good tour guide! I'll PM you with my cell number, feel free to give me a ring.

Dave

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
North American Eagle
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
As soon as the team has a chance to decompress, we'll post a trip report on our website, www.landspeed.com. Basically, the mission was to do some testing of systems on the NAE. The press played it up that we were going to do 400 mph. We can go 400 mph quite easily but stopping a 14,000 lb car on El Mirage from 400 mph is a bit risky. We did run to about 200 mph, held it for a little at that speed then went through the usual shutdown procedure. We did find a bad bypass control valve on the second test run that became worse each run. It began bypassing all the hydraulic pressure back to the tank. Our last test run resulted in a left hand turn that I could not cancel. The weather gremlins also arrived and we ended Wednesday with a rain and wind storm that ended the testing. We then loaded up and hauled to Burbank for two days of show-n-tell at Autobooks-Aerobooks..............Ed
Ed

Offline Dave Haller

North American Eagle
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »
Congratulations on the testing Ed. I know that took a lot of hard work for you and the crew. Us folks up here in the Pacific Northwest admire your tenacity and determination. We know you will continue to persevere and success is on the horizon for you and your team.
Your friend and fellow racer,
Dave Haller #93

landracing

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 06:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the report Ed,,,

Wish I could have been there.

Jon

Clay Taylor

Team NAE hits the Dirt
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 12:02:13 AM »
Hi all -

I scheduled a business trip to CA to coincide with the NAE guys appearance at El Mirage to test the car.  Having seen its first runs at the WA airport in March of 05, I wanted to see how things were progressing.   They have the magnetic brake system installed, there are more computer systems online to monitor and eventually control the car's operation.   As always, there are bugs to find and fix.

The entire NAE crew are super - taking the time to greet you, show stuff to observers, and genuinely appreciate your interest and support.   This being my first trip to El Mirage, I was amazed at the racing surface.   A bunch of Sidewinders club members took on the job of Course Marshalls - walking the course to pick up stones that could be potential turbine wreckers, and warning unsuspecting drivers off the race course.   Great job, guys!

I had a good time meeting people - Landspeed Louise and George Calloway were a lot of fun to talk to, and I saw two from back in my drag racing photo days - top-notch photog Bob McClurg (a little heavier and grayer than I remember him from 1978, but then so am I....), and the great Paula Murphy, still as gracious and friendly as she was back in the days of running her Miss STP fuel funny car at Conn. Dragway.  Wow, that was 35 years ago!

The NAE runs were conservative, but with that much time and money invested, you don't want to try anything crazy.    The hydraulic system was acting funky, and since it controls the steering as well as other vehicle functions, it's not a good idea to take a chance with it at race apeeds.   Unlike most NASCAR, NHRA and F-1 teams, there is no "backup car" in the top of the hauler.

I wanted to post a photo of run #1 in the User Picture Post, but I had to re-up first, so I'm waiting for my confirmation code.    I'll post it as soon as I can.

Good Luck to Ed, Keith, John, Tim, Bill, Big Ed, Ber-nard, Russ, Cameron, and all the other Team members.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT