Author Topic: Motorcycle Streamliners at the Shootout  (Read 41850 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Motorcycle Streamliners at the Shootout
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »
Spectator entry for the Shootout will again be free as in the past. You have to sign the release and get a wrist band from Lynda and her crew. Make a hard right on the salt, follow the cones to the pit area, approx. 1 mile.

Best bang for your buck on the salt. We have made history each year the event has run.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline ack

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
Dan

Do you or Mike have a local FM broadcast lined up yet?  If not what do you think about requiring spectators wishing to enter the pit area be required to have a CB radio and monitor it.  Spectators in the pit area need to understand they must stay in the immediate pit area and not wander off anywhere during the event wether a vehicle is running or not. They are only allowed on the access road and in the immediate pit area. There is a lockdown of the course before a run and no one is allowed to move except the vehicle and crew that is running and the officials. There have been a number of instances that runs have been held because someone is moving in the course area. There is a spectator area across from the timing tower for those that just want to watch runs.  I think we should have a handout for spectators that explanes the rules as it looks like there will be a larger number Of people than in the past.

Offline dw230

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »
No radio that I know of Mike. A handout would be nice, spectator control has always been a problem at this meet.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »
I second that, Dan.  I've been the pit area steward for a few years, and while it's pretty easy to keep the crews and teams under control, catching up to the wandering spectators is like herding cats -- get one to stop and wait and two others decide they want to move.  I'm all for some better way to keep them under control.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »
We could restrict the meet to entrants only.

NO ONE wants that - we are there to present the best of the best and I, personally, want anyone who attends to enjoy the spectacle that is the Shootout.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »
Dan, SSS

I am going to be one of the cats to herd this time around. I have already pack two hand held CBs, as I intend to watch a great show not interfere.

If I can help, OK, if not I know how to stay out of the way. The racers and officials have enough to worry about as it is.

I hoping for magic to happen this year.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
Magic, hunh?  Well, let's see about that.  Three years ago - the 2010 Shootout - was the fastest race event in history, with four cars and a bike at or above 400 mph.  That was pretty magical, I guess.

And this year -- what is it - at least four cars and three or four bikes that are (theoretically) capable of 400 mph ++ speeds?  Yup -- this one could be magical, too.  We'll see you on the salt.  Remember donuts for Land's End Lynda.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »
ummmmmmm Donutsssss :cheers:

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2013, 07:24:01 AM »
Does anyone know if Triumph will be attending the Top Speed Shootout with their Streamliner???

Cheers,
Scott

The Triumph will not be at the Cook [this year].  :-(

Now I can root for Sam Wheeler!  :-D And BUB and Ack Attack!  :-D

Run safe and fast guys!  :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline rouse

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
OK every body I'm fixen to ask a question that maybe shouldn't be answered, but here it goes.

Does anyone want to handicap the percentages as to the chances of running 400 MPH the year for each of the motorcycles? 0 - 100 Percent

At this point, I have my own idea as to the chances for each motorcycle, but I ain't saying yet. I'd like to see what other folks are thinking.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline baron

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »
Thanks for the info Woody, should be an amazing week of racing with any one of those three having the potential to crack 400. Whoever is making the trek, i'll see you all on the salt.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline rlague

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
Does anyone know if Triumph will be attending the Top Speed Shootout with their Streamliner???

Cheers,
Scott

The Triumph will not be at the Cook [this year].  :-(

Now I can root for Sam Wheeler!  :-D And BUB and Ack Attack!  :-D

Why won't the Triumph be there?

That is a shame.  We have been looking at the beautiful carbon liner in ads for almost a year.  this has been really building up our curiosity and anticipation to see it run.

Does it need more development time?  Did they find out something at the BUB event that will delay the run? 

They have been very slim on details.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline baron

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2013, 12:00:41 PM »
The Triumph Streamliner was 5 doors down from us at the BUBS event last week. We had seen an ad in Roadracing World last spring i think, some of you may recall, with no details just an image or rendering of the bike, so to stumble across it on the salt was jaw dropping. Its a glorious piece of engineering. What really killed us was not just the finish, three coats of clear over the basket weave carbon (trade name Grand master 12K at Fibreglast), but also the attention to detail puts it right up there with current contenders.
From what i could gather they were having some teething problems, as all race vehicles do, to include a rider who was getting up to speed with a very different handling motorcycle than what he is used to. Rumors of  all nighters fabricating parts and troubleshooting were rampant but are exactly what i would expect with a brand new race bike. This should not take away from the fact that they will ultimately be contenders, we wish them all the best with the steep learning curve that is 400MPH. Sure do wish they were going to be at COOKS.

Cheers,
scott

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
Can't divulge much - just too many issues to solve before the Cook meet. :cry: But they will be back!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline superleggera

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
Does anyone want to handicap the percentages as to the chances of running 400 MPH the year for each of the motorcycles? 0 - 100 Percent

I don't think any of the motorcycle streamliners will break the 400mph record this year.  But if the conditions clear, possibly a one-way 400mph run?  Sentimental favorite is Sam Wheeler given his time/legacy on the salt but he has essentially a new streamliner from the firewall back to test and sort out.  I know the weight has increased quite a bit and the weight distribution has changed with the new engine, gearbox, coolant tank, etc.  Anyone have specifics on his actual status?  (hopefully this Winter when I'm in Los Angeles I can make a visit of him again to learn more and to bounce questions off to tap his knowledge base -- truly a nice guy with a passion for motorcycle streamliners)
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner