Author Topic: Motorcycle racer age limit?  (Read 14337 times)

aswracing

Motorcycle racer age limit?
« on: June 03, 2006, 10:00:52 AM »
I have heard, from a veteran bike racer who's been at it longer than me, that there's an unwritten rule limiting motorcycle racers to age 60, and that people have literally in years past been told while going through tech that they could not race due to this.

Anyone know anything about it?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
M/C age limit
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:03:51 AM »
That's correct -- but false ID's are accepted without question, so don't worry.

Okay, there's no limit that I've ever heard of, really, and I think you could ask more than one M/C rider for living proof of it.  I won't mention any names, but there's one rider that's currently active in the sport, who's over 60, and is also consistently over 200 mph.  No names -- but his initials are Scott Guthrie.  Hell, I'm 58 and don't have any plans to cut back. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
motorcycle age
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 12:46:30 PM »
In 2001 Lee Burkey set a record at 201.504 mph on a bike and he was only 82 at the time. Age is a state of mind and as long as one is in good health it don't matter
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 03:45:43 PM »
What a crock.  Its a nasty rumour started by the roadster guys.  80 years on and they still can't define a roadster.  They have no idea how we stay up with just two wheels.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

aswracing

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 10:14:56 PM »
Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. It didn't sound right to me, hence me asking.

landracing

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 11:32:33 PM »
Dave Matson is no young fellow either, but he sure keeps up with them, 220+ with a nitro vincent....

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The real answer is
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:44:41 AM »
you must have a State drivers licence to begin with.
While other sanctions might require a Doctor's health certification equal to a Flight Medical, FIA for example, Senior Citizens Trial Association does not.
Don't you remembe showing yours ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 02:33:30 AM »
Nort- lay off the roadsters......you couldn't handle the curse...   :twisted:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

LittleLiner

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 09:34:31 AM »
I think it is nice of the SCTA to allow riders and drivers UNDER the age of 60 to compete even though their youth leaves questions concerning their maturity, judgement and experience.   That said, if I could only remember where I put my walker I'd go to the garage and work on my car.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 02:01:16 PM »
Jimmy,  Sorry, I did'nt realise roadsters were cursed.  I was told that roadster guys need four wheels to keep them up and doors to keep the old farts from falling out.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 01:31:38 AM »
Roadsters are not cursed....Those who speak of them may be the recipient of a curse...It's h--l to own one and be a biker too. Ask Tom E. or Wink E..........................or even me............... :twisted:  :twisted:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WHATEVER YOU SAY
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 01:42:36 AM »
As you suggest , the curse of the people you mention have likely left the bikers victim.
Let me count the ways.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Bob Jr.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 02:32:09 PM »
Quote from: Nortonist 592
roadster guys.  80 years on and they still can't .  They have no idea how we stay up with just two wheels.

It's called a side car!!!!!! 8)
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
OSH
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 07:45:09 PM »
Quote from: Bob Jr.
roadster guys.  80 years on and they still can't .  They have no idea how we stay up with just two wheels.

It's called a side car!!!!!! 8)

I think Bob gets the joke.

Offline edweldon

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 10:56:26 PM »
Jimmy,  Sorry, I did'nt realise roadsters were cursed.  I was told that roadster guys need four wheels to keep them up and doors to keep the old farts from falling out.

Farts can't fall.  Since they are composed primarily of hot air mixed with a little methane gas they can only rise.  And since the older they get the hotter they get they can only rise faster.  Because they are, according to Newton's laws, actually falling as they orbit the earth while moving across the Salt they are actually falling faster than they are rising.  But motorcycle racers, because they are so closely involved with the Coriolis effect that keeps them upright will fall faster when they are over 60 because of their propensity toward excessive flatulence.  Therefore the idea of an age limit of 60 is completely antigavitational and should not be entertained.
And besides, roadsters are not cursed.  Garbage trucks are cursed.  Who can possibly argue with such logic? ......Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.