Author Topic: 2 Club entry rule  (Read 3313 times)

Offline don pennington

• Cool Old Decals
    • http://www.hotrodmotors.com
2 Club entry rule
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:42:09 AM »
What year did SCTA change the qualifying for the 200MPH Club eliminating the "down and back" run with requited turn around in a limited time?
Old style water decals
www.hotrodmotors.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 2 Club entry rule
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
Don, the change from 3 runs to 2 runs for a record has nothing to do with the 200 MPH Club.... in fact the SCTA has nothing to do with the 200 MPH Club...
But the change was in the mid to late 90s, mostly due to increased participation, record run mornings took until almost noon.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »
Plus the relocation of the course by BLM which moved us back towards the highway. Less room mandated one way runs for safety. Another reason is that the USFRA was a two run deal and a part of the consolidation agreement was for the SCTA to go to two runs for records.

As Stainless wrote, the Bonneville 200 MPH Club is a stand alone organization with no ties to any other group.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline don pennington

• Cool Old Decals
    • http://www.hotrodmotors.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
Yeah- I knew that but had a little brain fade. My interest was in the 2 Club. I wonder what year they went to two runs on subsequent days, eliminating the time limit turn around.
Old style water decals
www.hotrodmotors.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
I don't remember a time limit, but I was not close for 41 years. I do know that common wisdom was that in the past the SCTA had a turn around time limit. As many times that I have been on record runs it has always been run 'em all down, when everyone has arrived, send them back.

Sometimes when there were many record attempts the qualifying runs did not start until 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

FIA runs have a 1 hour time limit, FIM a two hour time limit.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JimL

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:11:44 AM »
Not sure about the cars, but I thought we had to make our bike return runs in the hour in '69.  I had black leathers and the van had no A/C that year!

Probably a faulty memory, or just not that many return runs in those days.  I remember we had no shade for return run record certification, because I have a pic of Earl Flanders filling out the paperwork from one of my records and we were not cooking from the midday heat, yet.

I guess I need to visit with Roosevelt if he's there, this year.  He's the only other bike rider I know of, from then, who runs these days. Perhaps some one will speak up who remembers more clearly.  I'm just realizing that if you were running that year, you're lucky to remember anything at this age!

Those "down" return runs were faster, for many of us, all week.  Curious. :?....always wondered why.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
     Way I remember '71, all us short course folks ran down, pulled over, and gathered beside the 5.  Watched the long course rigs go by making their down runs then we went back out and did our returns, then they followed us with theirs.  Don't remember any time limits as such, just the same timed mile both directions had to be used to calculate the ave speed for the record.

Ed

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »

Those "down" return runs were faster, for many of us, all week.  Curious. :?....always wondered why.

Could it have been from an improvement in the salt conditions, better traction as the overnight humidity boils out of the salt on the surface.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline JimL

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
Maybe that is the answer.  I also remember waiting at the 5' and those fast movers came from way up north!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:59:44 AM by JimL »

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
We always called the down run as the 'downhill' pass. The return 'uphill' pass was a little more difficult.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
I think by 1980 everyone had impound at the 7... no fast movers going by...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
That was confusing. Short course turned out sooner than long course. When I was return starter drawing maps for drivers who were unsure of where to go.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth