Author Topic: JUST FOR THE RECORD  (Read 4540 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
JUST FOR THE RECORD
« on: May 29, 2006, 11:42:39 PM »
This is something you already knew but I am just finding out.
NOT REALLY
Dave Campos not only set the 232 record at Bonneville that has stood so long with Push rod motors but it was with stock heads and cases.
The 142 shown in the book as a Push Rod record is one example of what is going to kill the credibility of the bike program.
Oh by the way, Dave's Push Rod was properly classified at El Mirage and set a record with Leo Hess riding in 95.
If you wonder why the OEM people and the tire builders won't give the sport the time of day it is not hard to see. :cry:

"Failed design or designed to fail."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:49:15 AM »
Not that Jack will accept this but, over the years Dan, others, and I have tried to "correct" or place records where they belong with the rules changes. Just a few years ago a 1954 Lakester record which was confirmable was placed in the 2003 book.

The motorcycles have been a little harder because we waited on those in charge to do it. I'm sure Dan reads these posts and can agree.

It appears to me that all records which list a H/D as the make should have a "P" (or "V") classification even though it did not have one when the record was set and possibly the previous record put back in place if one exsisted prior to a pushrod motor setting it.

One of Vance Breese's H/D records was corrected for 2006. (This took away a record from Wink Eller)

All of this should have been done years ago however being a volunteer association things take time and sometimes they only need to be pointed out and the corrections will be done.

If each one would be pointed out to Dan, I'm sure he can make the proper adjustments and the 200 MPH Club will make the proper minimums if an open record occurs and a minumum is needed. I believe Scott G. has something to do with that.

I don't know were this 142 is howewer, if a person chooses to run on an open record where the record should be 2 or 300 mph and only goes 50 mph; it is that persons choice to come to impounds and get certified for it.  This usually means others will see it and come an break it.

To me it is not a reflection on the parent body or organization it it a reflection on the competitor.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
EXACTLY MY POINT
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 11:39:45 AM »
The person and persons on the tech committee that instituted and falsely benefited
 from the Push Rod problems were also responsible for it.
Without any opportunity for the rank and file including the board to review the records
 and procedures it led to the abuse the field suffers from now.
They have chosen to abuse the system and I have chosen to challenge them on it.
They refuse to properly respond to the entrants and pad their own nest.
If they find me or anybody else wrong it should be handled.
 Pretending to not understand and then misrepresenting it (lying) won't fly.
Nothing that is not open to public scrutiny will work so the other avenue is publication.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

aswracing

JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:26:37 PM »
I don't know anything about any corruption or conflict of interest so I won't comment on that. All I know is that I spent literally 2 grand on a set of cases (because I kept blowing out the factory cases), and then a rule got changed and the rug was pulled out from under me. Never even got the chance to run the bike because the events were rained out. Nobody warned me that the change was coming and I was given no opportunity to give input. To me, that's a sign of a problem with the sanctioning body. I'm 47 years old and I've been racing in various venues since I was 19. I have never, ever, ever seen a sanctioning body operate that way, with such callous disregard for the racers or their concerns. The very fact that they can operate that way indicates there's some kind of a structural problem in the organization.

With respect to correcting the rule book, last year about this time when I got mine, I saw an error in the records. We used to hold the 1650cc MPS-PF record at 202.989. We bumped that up to 205.642 at World Finals in 2004. Well, the 2005 rule book correctly listed our new record, but the prior record was also still listed, it had just been moved to APS-PF instead, wrongly taking it away from someone else. I wrote a note to a couple people with SCTA, explaining the mistake. I never heard a thing. I don't have an '06 rule book as I really haven't decided that it's worth my time to take one of my now obsolete bikes to an SCTA event. Maybe someone who has the book can take a look at 1650cc APS-PF and tell me if it's still mine or if they've given it back to the person who actually owns it.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
You and others are correct
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »
The APS/PF is listed as Moose Tracks at 178 in 2000.
I can hear the internal screaming now because as the rules are currently written it will be gone again and replaced with your 205.
They are actually self destructing because that is a Wink Eller owned bike and they deserve each other.

"Failed as designed or failed by design."

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 02:51:51 PM »
Quote from: aswracing
...... We used to hold the 1650cc MPS-PF record at 202.989. We bumped that up to 205.642 at World Finals in 2004. Well, the 2005 rule book correctly listed our new record, but the prior record was also still listed, it had just been moved to APS-PF instead, wrongly taking it away from someone else. I wrote a note to a couple people with SCTA, explaining the mistake. I never heard a thing. I don't have an '06 rule book as I really haven't decided that it's worth my time to take one of my now obsolete bikes to an SCTA event. Maybe someone who has the book can take a look at 1650cc APS-PF and tell me if it's still mine or if they've given it back to the person who actually owns it.

The 1650cc APS-PF is listed as Jack says at "178.438 -- 8/00 -- Moose Tracks -- H/D".

The 1650cc MPS-PF (the first class you mentioned) is "205.642-- 10/04-- NRHS V-Twin Performance -- Buell".

c  ya, Sum

aswracing

JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks, guys, so no one responded but they did correct the mistake, that's good enough for me. But yeah, I guess our 205 record will take that one away after all.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
PAINLESS
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 04:10:08 PM »
They will keep pounding their heads against the wall until their sitter feels better.
None of that had to happen.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves."

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:48:18 PM »
Many years ago I read an article in HRM that said the SCTA had a class for everyone.  Now it seems they have a record for every run.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.