Author Topic: 1st Bonneville  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Stan Back

1st Bonneville
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »
Let's see.  I can't seem to post the words and the photos together.  So I'll try to post this -- and come back and edit it.  So, any way, it was 1972 and I was helping my friend, Phil Stevenson, run his 1955 Chevy Bel Air Wagon at El Mirage.  It had a 390 Cadillac with a Jet-Away Hydramatic.  Not much of a drag racer, but he did drive it to El Mirage and we'd take the mufflers off and run about 120+ as I remember.  He wanted to go to Bonneville and had bought a 6-pot Offy manifold for $15 at a swap meet after convincing the seller that he was the only one in the world that wanted it -- and it wouldn't fit a Chrysler.  I contributed a wastebasketful of 97s left over from drag racing.

We drove to Bonneville and switched to the 18" Halibrands that I now have on my 28 Mercury.  One had a Bonneville tire, one an Indy.  They were about 3/4-in. in diameter different, but we had a great time.

I'll try to post the photos after this post.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:19:26 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

Re: 1st Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
Here's the car...
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »
Here's the San Bernardino Sun article . . .

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »
... my 28 Mercury...
?? Mercury brand wasn't even a gleam in Mr. Ford's eye in 1928...
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »
Believe me, Jack, It would take too long to explain, but if Stan has it at the Salt this year (barring any wheel shenanigans) you can make your own judgement....has always worked for me, and it has quite a history of sorts. The car, that is. No, perhaps I mean Stan........ :-D :-D :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:00:58 AM »
That Mercury Saloon/Salon is one of the coolest cars ever built!

Offline noboD

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »
... my 28 Mercury...
?? Mercury brand wasn't even a gleam in Mr. Ford's eye in 1928...
That's not a Lincoln Mercury, it's differant.

Offline t russell

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
cool stuf

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
Here's the 28 Mercury Torpedo Salon (prototype) that has been internationally authenticated by the Swedish Speed Magazine.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
And here's Jim Amreim's Roadster mentioned in the article . . .

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
That was the first year I went to Bonneville, I was in Wendover helping my dad put an airconditioner on his airstream, he was working on a remodel at the Stateline. There was a studebaker, and roadster team next to his trailer and they were enjoying themselfs a lot. They drug me and my dad out to the flats, The thing I remember the most was the bycicles going over onehundred miles an hour.   :-o

When I was in Alaska working, my wife threw my 1972 program along with the build sheets on my cobra in the trash, Not purposely though, if you have a couple of programs from 72, and want to sell one Stan, I would be interested.

Steve     

I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »
Sorry, can't help.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »
Stan, How on earth did you keep those wheel polished? Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »
Fronts are aluminum 14" modified Lincoln Versailles.  Ground the wheel weight lip off and welded in the holes that retained the stock plastic cap.

Simichrome, and only simichrome, is the only thing that has ever worked (50 years) on magnesium for me.  Dog pee is hard to cut, tho.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:30:38 PM by Stan Back »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
I used to use Simichrome on my '65 GTO mag wheels; it is great . Ditto on dogs-- they would come for miles to pee on those wheels!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ