Author Topic: Newcomer  (Read 5813 times)

Offline GH

Newcomer
« on: May 24, 2006, 11:33:14 AM »
I'm new at this, I have been watching this site for some time at the local Library, now I have a new lap top and can respond. I have been to the salt flats a few times. I got hooked as soon as I stepped on the salt in 1997. Be patient with me while I learn my way around this stuff.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
newcomer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 11:59:13 AM »
Welcome to the site, we always enjoy the newbies. There is a wealth of Info here and you wll make new friends along the way. What are your plans, where do you live etc. Many times there are people in your area you don't know about that are salt racers. Feel free to ask anything and someone will get you an answer. Enjoy the site. Jon Amo is the web master and does a great job keeping it up dated. \
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:03:41 PM »
Quote from: GH
I'm new at this, I have been watching this site for some time at the local Library, now I have a new lap top and can respond. I have been to the salt flats a few times. I got hooked as soon as I stepped on the salt in 1997. Be patient with me while I learn my way around this stuff.

Hey being in Springfield, MO (pay attention Glen  :twisted:) you are in a "hot bed" of racers :D .   Actually I'm not kidding.  Gary Hart lives just north of town and has two LSR cars that he races on the salt and at Maxton.  

Someone else (someone help me with the name) lives nearby and I think runs a '34 ford.  

John (WZJUNK) the "body man" on Hooley's Stude is in Neosho, not far and Hooley and his Stude are in Chelsea, OK a little further.

I was there a few weeks ago helping my mom out in Branson and was suppose to be there this weekend for the NSRA show, but won't be there now.  John and Hooley will both be at the show.  Go introduce yourself.  Hooley will be in a black "A" Sedan that is blown and is a "hot rod" not to be confused with a "street rod".  John will be driving a "48" type chevy pickup that he has for sale (not his normal driver).  It has "Johnny's Speed Shop" on the door.

I swiped this from a Rodding Roundtable post and it will help you find them:

40chevy wrote:
This will be my first visit to this event, so tell me about it. Is there a traditional RRT spot like at Louisville? Are there any shady spots to look for to grab? Or is it all on a parking lot?
AL

North side of the fairgrounds has trees and grass. South side has lots of asphalt and the vendor buildings. We bring our own shade. Friday we should be along the south chain link fence near the east end of the fairgrounds. Saturday we will be just at the edge of the asphalt near the top of the hill on the south side of the fairgrounds. Look for the "Johnny's Speed Shop" truck.

See ya,

John

I'll be back there in the fall.  I usually try and get that way in the spring and fall.  If you are going to the salt this year you might want to tag along with John and Hooley and come by my place on the way there.

c ya, Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »

Well I guess you are going to have a hard time visiting with Gary unless you do it in the mirror :wink: .  

John and Hooley would like to talk to you at the "lawn chair nationals" this weekend if you go.

And here I told Glen to pay attention.  Hope he doesn't figure this all out.  If he does he will probably never let me forget it  :cry: .

I owe you one GH :D .

c ya in August,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
newcomer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 05:27:26 PM »
Sum
Get out of the sun, it's messing yer mind up.
GH ya got to watch out for sumner, they only have 22 visitors a year pass thru Blanden and Sum has a stop sign and a detour sign to his gift shop.
LOL your turn Sum, and watch out for Jack D. he's on this side of the country and just north of Mexico. :twisted:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bow

Re: newcomer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »
Quote from: Glen
watch out for Jack D. he's on this side of the country and just north of Mexico. :twisted:

You mean JackD is in Canada?  :wink:

Welcome to the thing GH, I'm new myself, but there is a great bunch on the forum.
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 08:04:50 PM »
....... I have been to the salt flats a few times. I got hooked as soon as I stepped on the salt in 1997. Be patient with me while I learn my way around this stuff.

One of GH's cars.  Holds 3-4 records at Maxton and has been to b'ville, but I don't know if it holds a record there or not??  Does it Gary?

And his Stude that does hold an over 200 mph record on the salt with a roots blower.  The twin turbo (in picture) will debut there this year and I think will go real fast!!  Great workmanship Gary.  I got to hear this motor run in Missouri last year.  Starts and idles like a street motor (using Megasquirt to control the FI) but I think makes like 900 HP at the rear wheels, but Gary will have to tell us for sure.

There is a little more (  HERE  ) .

Glad to have you on here GH.  You have a lot to be proud of in a short time on the salt :D .

c ya, Sum

Offline GH

newcomer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 10:32:28 AM »
Sum, we had a record in XX0/galt at 131+ but lost it in 04.  Mike C. is taking to Buick to Speedweek and going to run it in XX0/bgalt and XX0/bgcc with the cow-catcher on the front end. We just built him a new trailer to haul the Buick on it. Yes, I am going to the lawn chair nats, will visit with Hooly and John and will unload the Stude  at the Mall and drive it around on the Mall lot, not on the street, no headlights, no tail lights, and no exhaust.

Offline dieselgeek

Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:53:52 PM »
Gary finally moved off the Information Dirtroad!

I've never been to the salt either, but I'm tagging along with Gary, Mike and Mike to see what it's all about.  

Here is a little video we put together after a weekend of thrashing on the Studebaker, you can see/hear both of Gary's cars pretty clear. This was done right before Maxton.   The Stude is coming up to Omaha for Dyno pulls here in a few weeks, this should be a lot of fun.  

http://www.1320video.com/vids/garyhart.wmv

Can't wait to meet some of you,

-scott

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Gary Hart on line!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 02:45:35 PM »
Hey, there, boys and girls -- you missed a great Gary event at the April 1-2 Maxton event.  I wish to heck I had had the camera ready as I was standing at the line. . .

There he was, in the #1950 Buick, waiting for Al (the starter) to give him the go-ahead.  Al waved, Gary gave it the gas and dropped the clutch a bit abruptly.

Wow!  I never saw an old straight-8 smoke 'em like he did.  And he didn't lift -- stayed in it, drove through the first hundred feet or so leaving a nice black stripe, had a decent speed, too, if I remember correctly.

Later he admitted to having a big-ass smile inside the helmet during that run (but gave some lame excuse like "The clutch hooked up better than I expected").

But he was sure smiling in the pits, too.  Nancy and I look forward to seeing him and crew and the Buick and the Stude at SpeedWeek.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Gary Hart on line!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 02:46:42 PM »
Hey, there, boys and girls -- you missed a great Gary event at the April 1-2 Maxton event.  I wish to heck I had had the camera ready as I was standing at the line. . .

There he was, in the #1950 Buick, waiting for Al (the starter) to give him the go-ahead.  Al waved, Gary gave it the gas and dropped the clutch a bit abruptly.

Wow!  I never saw an old straight-8 smoke 'em like he did.  And he didn't lift -- stayed in it, drove through the first hundred feet or so leaving a nice black stripe, had a decent speed, too, if I remember correctly.

Later he admitted to having a big-ass smile inside the helmet during that run (but gave some lame excuse like "The clutch hooked up better than I expected").

But he was sure smiling in the pits, too.  Nancy and I look forward to seeing him and crew and the Buick and the Stude at SpeedWeek.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 10:59:47 PM »
Quote from: dieselgeek
Can't wait to meet some of you,

-scott

Be sure that we meet.  I've got lots of megasquirt questions for you :D , besides wanting to meet you.  You were involved with the truck that did so well in the Hot Rod bunch of drag strips in a few days deal (can't remember the real name) weren't you??  Keith T. didn't you also go along on that event??

That also looks like a really neat event.  Hooley and I would like to do it in a year or so.

c ya, Sum

Offline RICK

Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 11:02:32 PM »
Back in the 80's I played the nostalgia drag race game. About 86ish there was a guy with stainless 4-bar rear. I think he told me he was a welder? Anyway,,,after getting too good of a bite at the track [St. Louis International] he twisted up his bars and busted the driveshaft. He parked it on the trailer [put it in PARK,, an automatic car] had it chocked with a single 2x4,,,,,,and drove back to his motel,,,,about 15 miles back to Collinsville. I'm kinda gettin the ol'timers,, but I think his name was GH. Is that you?

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline dieselgeek

Newcomer
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 08:57:26 AM »
Quote from: Sumner

Be sure that we meet.  I've got lots of megasquirt questions for you :D , besides wanting to meet you.  You were involved with the truck that did so well in the Hot Rod bunch of drag strips in a few days deal (can't remember the real name) weren't you??  Keith T. didn't you also go along on that event??

That also looks like a really neat event.  Hooley and I would like to do it in a year or so.

c ya, Sum

That's me...   "Drag Week" was the event, the truck won the smallblock poweradder class with a 10.13 5-day average.  

As Gary will tell you, I like to talk Megasquirt all day long - so I look forward to hooking up with you guys in Utah, Sumner.   Sounds like a great bunch of people, and a lot of fun.  Gary warns me I'll get "Salt Fever" so I have to be careful.

If anyone has MS questions before then, feel free to PM me or post up here.  Always glad to help guys where I can...

Offline GH

newcomer
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »
Rick, That was me, I didn't think anybody would ever remember that . That was my first try at drag racing since 1963, My lovely wife was with me, and when the car tryed to jump into the back of the pickup truck, all she could say was "your too old to be doing this". I went back home repaired the stainless steel 4 bars {looked pretty , but was real weak}, about 3 weeks later I went Arkansas City, Kansas, to the nostalgia drags. Did you ever see my yellow 41 Willys at Wentzville, Mo or Goodguys at Indy?