Author Topic: now what??  (Read 4377 times)

SALTRACER

now what??
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:49:20 AM »
Hi, Just a quick question.  I sent in my registration form for speed week and wanted to know"now what".Will  I receive a packet of information, a phone call confirming my entry, or do I just show up to the salt and hope that every thing is cool.  We are a rookie team with alot of questions.  For instance , if we arrive a day early can we check in and where? What can I expect at the rookies meeting.  Any info is appreciated , especially any don't do this when you are a rookie advice.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: now what??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 11:39:51 AM »
Quote from: SALTRACER
Hi, Just a quick question.  I sent in my registration form for speed week and wanted to know"now what".Will  I receive a packet of information, a phone call confirming my entry, or do I just show up to the salt and hope that every thing is cool.  We are a rookie team with alot of questions.  For instance , if we arrive a day early can we check in and where? What can I expect at the rookies meeting.  Any info is appreciated , especially any don't do this when you are a rookie advice.

You might want to read this:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2004.html

It will give you some idea of what happens.

You aren't allowed onto the salt to set your pits up (unless you were in on track prep) until Friday morning.  We get there Thursday afternoon so we can get to the salt first thing in the morning.  The sooner you get your car in line to be inspected the better (read shorter lines).

The rookies meeting follows the "general" meeting and they will drive you down the "short course" and give you final instructions.

You will receive items in the mail before August (someone else might know when).

Ask more questions when you have them,

and c ya there,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
now what
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
Saltracer
You will be getting a lot of info from the list. Pay attention to it as most of us who have gone for years do things to get ready automatically. Water, shade, sun screen, a camera. and the ability to wait for your turn. The first year is a learning curve but you will find a lot of teachers and people to help you get thru it. Enjoy
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »
Quote from: SALTRACER

You should be getting your bonneville confirmation pack very soon. I just got mine a couple of days ago.

My philosophy is to just take it slow. You have a whole week so rushing around trying to get things done just takes the fun out of it (for me). I usually arrive mid day friday and go in and set up my pits. I dont even go to tech untill Saturday morning. Plenty of time then since we dont start running till after noon. BUT, I have a car that is knows to the inspectors so tech is fairly routine for me, your case may not be the same.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 04:45:09 PM »
Quote from: JohnR
My philosophy is to just take it slow.

Oh yeah, only 196 mph in a 1500 cc Honda car 8) .

c ya, Sum

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
now what??
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:10:39 AM »
I don't know about the "not hurrying around" theory.  True, towards the end of the week you can just about do laps.  Lines on Thursday, and even Wednesday are frequently about 10 cars long.

BUT (and this is a very big BUT IMHO) the reason(s) you hurry to run Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning are, 1., you want to set a record before someone else in your class does, and 2., the Weather.  I.e., a beautiful meet can go to H.. and get rained out/blown out in a matter of hours, so I always figure, "If I see sunshine, I get in line."  Cause you never know.  More than a few meets only lasted until Tuesday.

And after what it co$t$ to get to the starting line I figure, why waste it?

So plan to get there Thursday just in case you break down on the way so you can find parts on a weekday.  If you arrive without problems, check in (you do have a room don't you?), clean up the trailer/car/suitcase, and/or sit by the pool.

That's about it.  If you want, give me your e-mail and I'll send you my check list.

All the best,

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

SALTRACER

now what??
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 04:08:26 PM »
What about my log book.  Do I get that at the first tech inspection? What info is kept in it?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
now what
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 04:14:06 PM »
You will get the log book and frame sticker at Insp. I think it's $10.00
All information will be noted in the log book at Insp. You need to supply photos of the car/bike front, side, rear and interior. This will be part of the log book history.

Glen :D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
now what??
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 04:16:50 PM »
JACKD

DO NOT ANSWER THIS E-MAIL!

The man is looking for an un-encrypted response.  Anyone else is free to jump in.  

Frankly I can't remember.  I've painted over my frame sticker and had to buy another number and log book a couple of times, but frankly I can't remember how or when I got my first one.

No worries though.  It'll come to someone soon enuf.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)