Author Topic: Diesel Records  (Read 3633 times)

LittleLiner

Diesel Records
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:12:27 AM »
Reading trouugh the info on the JCB DIESELMAX attempt to exceed the record set by Thermo king team in 73 at 236 made me wonder if that is the fastest diesel record.   So I took a look at the SCTA records for Bonneville and found that Carl Heap in the Phoenix went 272.685.  

Seems to me that JCB will not have the worlds fastest diesel unless they can top the Heap speed.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
diesel records
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 11:27:29 AM »
The Brits use a different english then us YANKS, There ain't no braging rights until it's a done deal.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Diesel Records
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:07:23 PM »
Quote from: LittleLiner
Reading through the info on the JCB DIESELMAX attempt to exceed the record set by Thermo king team in 73 at 236 made me wonder if that is the fastest diesel record.   So I took a look at the SCTA records for Bonneville and found that Carl Heap in the Phoenix went 272.685.  

Seems to me that JCB will not have the worlds fastest diesel unless they can top the Heap speed.

Their wording, P.R. and B.S. on their site sure implies to the uninformed reader that if they beat the 236 mph record they will have the outright diesel record.  

If I was involved with the effort I would have an uneasy feeling in my stomach.  It is a shame as they have a well know driver and looks like a good car.  Why not be up front with those who visit their site.  All they have to do is also mention Heap's record and say that they hope to eclipse it also.

c ya, Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Ya musta missed.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:14:40 PM »
It was suggested the truck might be available to push the Brit project
 to the ends of the Earth if they needed some help getting up to speed.
 It was not well received and even had a tough time with SMELL CHECK..
The focus seems to be more on styling at BINDAIR instead of DUNDAT.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline interested bystander

deisel records
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
Way ta go JACK!!!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Malcolm UK

Diesel Records
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »
Jack - you kindly copied me in on the 'correction' sent to the JCB folk, why not get all in the SCTA to write (web addresses are on the JCB Dieselmax site) to get the point across that there is a faster diesel powered vehicle than the Snyder streamliner?

I now understand that the JCB team are using private time after speedweek in August to try for their records - which must mean that the record bid will now (probably) be an FIA governed affair.  If that is the case, then the PR people are protecting themselves & the team members holding FIA licences and permits, by referring to the FIA's fastest diesel car and its speed.  Its a European & British thing folks!

But if this is the case how does Andy get into the 200 club and the 300 chapter at Bonneville?

The FIA have recently met in committe and the push truck would be admitted if the Steward agrees to the procedures.

What I hope will happen is that whoever adjudicates they get to record and certify an average speed over 300 mph by Andy in the JCB ....... then the position is clear cut on the world's fastest.  

(If they run at the World Finals later in the year under BNI International rules then I may get to see that).
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THE RACE IS ON
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
The time you mentioned for FIA will also host FIM.
The applicants will certainly make their mark.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"