Author Topic: 2013 Changes to Hooley's 974 Studebaker  (Read 70689 times)

Offline WZ JUNK

Re: 2013 Changes to Hooley's 974 Studebaker
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
The team is at Sumner's working hard to prepare the car.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »
They are THRASHING  like mad men :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
They found an oil leak from a pushrods passage to an intake runner and repaired the hole.  They are scheduled to fire the engine and test the repair soon. 

Work is continuing but they will be a little behind schedule arriving on the salt.

I am 1200 miles away and wishing I was there to help.

John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
Sum has made a new (smaller) wing---they had pressure tested the port with compressed air and were going back together when he called last night  he is busy as the welder-fabricator man---nip here---whack and jack there-- to get the tanks and plumbing in---I think I heard him say that Hooley wants get every thing in and "fill-er-up" to see what the ride height, deflection and rate is on the springs---can't wait to see this thing up close and personal. 

I got into the port from the push rod side of the port wall---apparently someone before Holley bought it, had gotten a little bit aggressive with the porting tool from the port side on Hooley's Dart 360s
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:29:14 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »
Just got off the phone with Sum  :-D  they may be a day late but they don't think they will be a dollar short---it fires ---no smoke--- A/F looks good----sounds so good

[it was instant "woodies" all around ] :-o---correction---Tim Cox said that about his PRO Charged AA       Camaro

They must have installed the new wing because Sum said it really looked good---was very surprised at how well --- can't wait so see some new posts---but these guys are humping it---to get there Sat most likely!!!!!!!!  can't wait to see this BITCH'N ride
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:22:18 PM by SPARKY »

Offline basher13

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »
Woooohoooo! Go team Go!
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »
Great news!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Keep at her Guys.

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »
It's GREAT to have both of them back this year.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »
Great stuff!  :cheers:

Another must see for me!  :-D

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
Everything is going well at Sumner's place.  Crew is tired but they are about done.  They should arrive on the salt late Saturday or early Sunday. 

John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »
Got there yesterday set up and as you may have guessed got through TECH today--Sum has to go through "Rookie" Tues at 11:00 am they plan on putting the car in line and going through Rookie should get to run at around noon--  Sums PUMPED

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »
just got off the phone with Sum  :-o  Wow :-o  Sum is having a great adventure  late this afternoon  he made his over 200 lisc pass  They are having all kinds of adventures---putting all the weight back in this morning,, tours out side the lights,  Testing wing fins ---they work by the way   nine # will break the tires loose at nearly any speed-if it HITS --- needs lot of ice---so far only running on the waste gate springs -- they are beginning to push it a little, and are having oil temp issues---they will drain the oil in the am and see how much they are blowing or pushing out---all in all they are having
a pretty good first outing if you ask me

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: to Hooley, Sum and ALL the crew  !!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:13:43 AM by SPARKY »

Offline sabat

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2013, 11:20:17 PM »
Awesome  :cheers:  Hope I get to hear it on the live feed tomorrow  :-D  Dean

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
Just got off the phone with Sum

They did an evaluation of car and systems---they have some conflicting info---they pulled the oil and filter and found small amounts of bearing material.

They are going to put it on the trailer and leave the car a Sums so that he can get the gauges and data logging system agreeing they had a faulty temp gauge and with the lisc. runs yesterday, they were not cooling down as much as they thought. and on the last run the time slip and the "dream chart" which had been spot on did not agree.

---back home and back to making sure every thing works and agrees before pushing this new car even close to what its potential is.   All in All  a great first meet for what is nearly a new car and for Sum who now can run on the record and for a hat. 

way to go Hooley and your hooleygans

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »
Hooley - Thanks for a great Speedweek. Cliff and I left pumped up after helping on the car. Hope all goes well with the 974 car. All the guys on the team are first class. Looking forward to next year and running our own program. We will keep you updated.
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT